Start by marking “A Fate Totally Worse than Death” as Want to Read:

A Fate Totally Worse than Death

"This takeoff on teen horror novels is funny, mocking, and a surefire hit. . . . Should have teen-horror fans screaming with laughter." — SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

In Paul Fleischman’s hilarious parody of teenage horror novels, Danielle and her friends from Cliffside High’s cruelest clique — the Huns — set out to crush a ravishing exchange student from Norway.

Published October 2nd 1995 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about A Fate Totally Worse than Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fate Totally Worse than Death

Natalie
Sep 08, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fate Totally Worse Than Death by Paul Fleischman was definitely worth the read. It first attracted me towards it because I was looking for a quick read that I could finish in just a few days. It was one of those books that you kept turning the page wondering what would happen next. You felt like you were apart of the book and felt sympathy for the characters.

If you enjoy a mystery yet humorous book, I would totally recommend this book. Now don't get me wrong, the first few chapters lacked int
Amber
Amber Randol
Humor

A Fate Totally Worse Than Death involved three girls who were the most popular in their school: Tiffany, Brooke, and Danielle. The girls had murdered a former classmate who was attracting the attention of one of their boyfriends, but no one knows about it. A new girl, Helga, from Norway, comes to the school and all of the girls boyfriends like her, so the group sets out to get her to leave. They try cutting her hair and attacking her mentally but it backfires and Helga says they
Pop Bop
Jul 04, 2014 Pop Bop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A Book Totally Better Than Expected

Snarky privileged mean girl YA dramas are usually so over the top that it is hard to imagine what room is left, exactly, for parody. Well, Fleischman has the answer.

This book isn't manic and it doesn't go for overblown, broad parody. It is almost surgical in the way it focuses on all of the little tics and tells of mean girl high school stories and YA horror, and then exaggerates them just enough to really bring the joke home. The book opens with a tracking sh
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

For anyone who enjoyed Scary Movie with it's over-the-top humor, sarcastic wit, dry parodies, and unrestrained juvenile one-liners, A FATE TOTALLY WORSE THAN DEATH is a must read.

The plot revolves around three girls, Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany, who are members of the Huns--the absolutely only clique to belong to at Cliffside High. The Huns believe in one rule above all else--the Hun boys belong to them, and them alone. When Helga, a Norwegian exchange stude
Callie
Oct 22, 2012 Callie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-12
This book is a humorous book meant to be a satire on young adult horror novels. It is about three girls in high school that belong to a group of the rich and popular known as the Huns. The girls are very possessive over the Hun boys and believe that no other girls are allowed to be with them. Prior to the start of the book, the girls ran a classmate--who was not a Hun--off a cliff to her death because she was dating a Hun boy. When Olga a new girl from Norway shows up and all the boys begin to f ...more
Samantha
Nov 06, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will leave you with drama in your fingertips and make you thirsty for more. Everything is going well, relationships, boyfriends, friend groups and just life itself. This is all until there is a new girl from Norway. The boys become clingy to her and the girls are seeking revenge. They try to go to her house except... You should definitely read the book and find out what happens.
Kalynda
This was a mean girls type of book that was a simple and quick read, that had substories of high school happenings, and offered a bit of a mystery.
Susie Homa
May 24, 2011 Susie Homa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Fleischman
3.0
adventure, romance, suspense, horror
i recommend this book because it has a very good story line and has an amazing ending it is the best book iv ever read.
A foreign exchange student from Norway named Helga takes all the attention and gets the attention of the boy in school that everyone likes and thhey become jealous and say Helga is a ghost because of her white skin and light hair while trying to get their attention back the girls think up many
Joanna
That book I try and remember the name of every few years.
Lorisha A
Aug 09, 2014 Lorisha A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny and chilling
Heather
Nov 26, 2012 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, horror
When exchange student Helga shows up and threatens the social world of Danielle, Tiffany, and Brooke, the girls begin a campaign to destroy her using any means necessary up to and including murder. The mission for social supremacy hits a snag when the girls begin to suspect that Helga isn't quite mortal. Infinitely nasty and funny, this little book deliciously targets the mean girls and gives them a sufficiently unpleasant payback for their murderous scheming. Beware the raspberry truffles.
Nicole Rauh
Nov 08, 2014 Nicole Rauh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great short story. To read over the weekend or just for fun. The plot has twist and turns all through it. Great story.
Andrew Carlson
Sep 19, 2012 Andrew Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in two hours! That's how much I liked this book!

I won't spoil any of the plot, but I will say it keeps you turning pages wondering what will happen next to the protagonists. (or are they antagogists?)

The plot is clever and unique. Cliquish behavior, jealousy and irrational decisions abound. If you are in high school, have a child in high school, remember high school--whether fondly or not, you should read this book. You won't be dissapointed!
Delaney Bella
I thought I would like this book at first, since the author is a pretty good author, but I couldn't get past chapter 4. I couldn't stand the mean girls! Not one bit. Mean to elderly, mean to friends, They even purposely killed a girl because she was with a guy that they think they can claim as theirs. Bottom line: I didn't like it, but if you wanna hear about mean girls being so full of yourself, check this book out, because now it's checked back in...
Tacey
Jan 26, 2014 Tacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A textbook for teen satire! I love Fleischman's writing.
Katie Feather
Apr 06, 2014 Katie Feather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really poor story line with no interesting features or characters. Disappointing :(
Maya
Dec 14, 2008 Maya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This book was very freaky. In the beginning it started out very boring, until it got to the middle thats when everything changed. They started to mention ghosts, magical powers and suicides. This book showed how jealousy can cause to turmoil, death and just plain bad choices. I would recomend this book for high school crowd because it shows an issue that most go threw excluding the magical powers and ghosts.
Pandora
Mar 24, 2009 Pandora rated it liked it
A mixture of comedy and horror. Mostly akin to the Scream films. Horror fans should enjoy it. The book is YA because it does mention things that would get it a R rating if it was a movie. Focused on the body, questionable things sold out of a locker, basically Animal House type stuff. Book has been on our children's shelves and a popluar pick. No complaints yet so it is staying.
Sylvia
Jan 17, 2008 Sylvia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Charity Chase was killed. Someone (or 3 girls) who's responsible for it must pay. Come Helga, an exchange student from Norway. She has a fair skin without sun burn, hair blonder than blond, and have the same habit as Charity. The girls believed that Helga is the ghost of Charity who came to get revenge.

A horror fiction with a shock ending.
Danay Perkins
This was a very interesting book lol. Creative I must admit, but weird. Its about a group of popular girls who mess with this old lady and then things s\in their life start getting crazy and they begin to turn into old people hahaha!!! I think it was worth reading but probably not anything i would recommend or read again.
Alexandra
Nov 14, 2015 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I remember reading this book when I was younger. It was funny but also disturbing. I'm interested in re-reading just for the sake of really remembering the details. The one thing that still leaves me with a haunting thought is... Those poor girls had to watch themselves grow old. Gruesome to be sure.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Nov 10, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I liked this funny book.
Three girls who killed another girl suddenly have strange things start to happen to them...
and you know what, they deserve it!
I listened to this one, and the voices were great.
The characters were funny,
and I wanted to keep listening to know what would happen next!
Anita Prince
Sep 05, 2009 Anita Prince rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
When Helga, the beautiful blonde from Norway, starts attracting all the available "Huns" at Cliffside High, Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany decide it's time to get rid of her just like they got rid of Charity Chase. Read this farce to find out what happens when they set their plot into motion.
Becca
Nov 19, 2010 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very awkward in a way, but awkward is my thing. So I enjoyed it. Three girls grow old at a teenage year? And they think the exchange student is a ghost BECAUSE they are becomeing old? This has always been my type of book. One of my all time favorites. I have my reasons why.
Rebecca
This book is no long at all and it was very easy to read. I thought that it could have had more details in it. The ending surprised me very much because you don't know what's coming. It is another one of those books that teach you not to draw conclusions to fast.
Marya
Mar 26, 2008 Marya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-lit
A cheesy parody that saves itself by knowing full well it is a cheesy parody. Don't expect to be scared by the "horror" or kept in suspense by the "mystery". Do expect to find it amusing that a teenage girl's greatest fear is developing...old lady pickle tits.
Debbie
Nov 30, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the very first books I read when I entered high school. I chose it just because it looked like it had little pages. It had some really nice twists and turns but you could keep up with it. So read and I couldn’t put it down until I finished it.
Lesley
Nov 20, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up
Shelves: funny, supernatural, teen
I haven't seen a lot of attention paid to this, but I think it's a great idea: having fun with the horror genre while also being a perfectly good horror story, plus tackling mean girls from a new angle.
Sandra Strange
Jul 23, 2009 Sandra Strange rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This YA novel by a noted YA author is actually a spoof of ghost-horror novels. It's pretty harmless and ok, but the characterization is stereotypical, as most spoofs are. OK, but not great.
Meaghan
I do not read teen slasher stories, but even I could appreciate this wonderfully done parody. It had me howling and all the girls were so bitchy it was beautiful. This is parodying at its very best!
  • Standard Hero Behavior
  • Gender Blender
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories
  • My Angelica
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • The Arizona Kid
  • Poop Happened!: A History of the World from the Bottom Up
  • The Adventures of Blue Avenger (Blue Avenger, #1)
  • Love Among the Walnuts
  • I Yam a Donkey!
  • Teen, Inc.
  • The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Planet Tad
  • The Morgue and Me
  • Sara's Face
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released
More about Paul Fleischman...