Start by marking “It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children With Language Delays” as Want to Read:

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This updated edition of The Hanen Center's classic guidebook is a must-have for parents, speech-language pathologists and others who work with or care for young children with language delays. It Takes Two to Talk is written in simple language and is full of beautiful, color illustrations. It shows parents how to help their child communicate and learn language during everyd ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Ingram

Autumn
Jul 22, 2011 Autumn rated it really liked it
A lot is common sense but it's a useful resource.
Suzy
Jun 25, 2009 Suzy rated it it was amazing
This book (and the course by the same title) is phenomenal. By far the least cost for the greatest gain of any intervention we've done for our daughter's language. We learned to wait and follow her lead to encourage more spontaneous language, to cue her to take turns and have conversations, to expand on her language to add to her comprehension and vocabulary--I could go on and on. Tonight we compared videos taken before we all started the program, to ones taken this week--the difference in all o ...more
Steph
Dec 18, 2007 Steph rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents who want to increase communication in a possitive way with their children
This book was recommended by a speech therapist. I also got a DVD from the Hannen institute in Canada that encourages communication through songs and rhymnes. The main principles I took from this are to listen more to your children, wait for them to initiate, try not to say the word "say" instead get to know their interests. They break down steps that are very easy to remember about being patient with our little ones that are still learning to talk. It has helped my daughter, Chelsea who has com ...more
Nichole
Dec 07, 2011 Nichole rated it really liked it
This book is a remarkable guide to teaching a parent how to help their developmentally late child. My daughter has always been fast at reaching milestones, but we noticed she was having a hard time when it came to speaking. Through this program (a class that the book goes along with) I learned that my daughter isn't technically a late speaker, but rather has an articulation problem. I highly recommend this book to any parent who has or will have another baby. It can only help improve upon skills ...more
Scot
Dec 31, 2015 Scot rated it really liked it
Some really great advice and tips for helping your late-talker to communicate. Clear instructions, lots of examples, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, it works.
Rebecca Wheeler
Nov 13, 2014 Rebecca Wheeler rated it really liked it
Informative, easy to read, easy to understand.
It gave me clear indication of what my toddler's stage of communication was, with strong advice of how a parent can assist their child with delayed speech syndrome, learning to talk. This shows how important a parents role is in child learning communication.
This was 'homework' set by our speech therapist, and I've found this invaluable.
Did start to repeat information after a while and I started to skim. But the fundamentals of understanding are there
Eva
Apr 07, 2014 Eva rated it it was amazing
Great guide. Gave me some excellent understanding into how to encourage communication with my 2 year old. Easy read. Lots of examples and sweet little drawings to illustrate each technique.
Kevin
Jul 03, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
This is the book is basically the textbook to the Hanen method, a program designed to help babies and toddlers communicate. The material is approachable and easy to read, but the key is practice and repetition. It is still early, but I've seen some positive results with my speech-delayed son.
JoAnne
Dec 05, 2011 JoAnne rated it really liked it
The book is awesome but the course is even better! It expands upon ideas in the book and helps you put the concepts into practice. It helped me know how to bring the language out of my speech-delayed son. Absolutely phenomenal! (But take the course... hence the 4 stars)
Patricia
Oct 05, 2012 Patricia is currently reading it
This is a book published by the Hanen Centre. I will be taking the course in the spring, but decided to order the book and DVD from the Hanen Centre to try to implement some of the methods in the interim.
Alisa
Oct 13, 2011 Alisa rated it really liked it
The Hanen program is great for young kids with language and communication delays. The book is best when taken with the course, but even if you can't take the course, read the book. A parenting essential.
Heather
Jun 26, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Excellent for parents who have children with language delays. This is a textbook for a course, but since I couldn't take the class I read it on my own. It has been tremendously helpful!!
Katie
Nov 26, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
Useful resource. Common sense practices broken down into strategies.
Hien
Aug 09, 2013 Hien rated it really liked it
This book is good for babies and toddlers
Vishwatej Manepalli
Vishwatej Manepalli marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jenny Zafrani
Jenny Zafrani marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
C4576646trbvn.Com
C4576646trbvn.Com marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Hamzeh
Hamzeh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Haripriya
Haripriya marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Chytra Aswin
Chytra Aswin marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Parul.Id9gmail.Com
Parul.Id9gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Marilou Mico
Marilou Mico rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Monsur
Monsur marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Hannah R
Hannah R marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Ginette
Ginette marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
LH Choo
LH Choo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
April
April rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Lindsay Willey
Lindsay Willey marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • More Than Words: Helping Parents Promote Communication and Social Skills in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Late-Talking Children
  • Princess Recovery: A Parent's Guide To Raising A Daughter Who Can Create Her Own Happily Ever After
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • 1, 2, 3 Sew: Build Your Skills with 33 Simple Sewing Projects
  • Creative Play for Your Toddler: Steiner Waldorf Expertise and Toy Projects for 2 - 4s
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living
  • Slow and Steady Get Me Ready
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • The Stay-at-Home Survival Guide: Field-Tested Strategies for Staying Smart, Sane, and Connected When You're Raising Kids at Home
  • The Latin-Centered Curriculum: A Homeschooler's Guide to a Classical Education
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Learning Targets: Helping Students Aim for Understanding in Today's Lesson