Start by marking “It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children With Language Delays” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This updated edition of The Hanen Center's classic guidebook is a must-have for parents, speech-language pathologists and others who work with or care for young children with language delays. It Takes Two to Talk is written in simple language and is full of beautiful, color illustrations. It shows parents how to help their child communicate and learn language during everyd...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Ingram

To ask other readers questions about It Takes Two to Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes Two to Talk

Autumn
A lot is common sense but it's a useful resource.
Suzy
This book (and the course by the same title) is phenomenal. By far the least cost for the greatest gain of any intervention we've done for our daughter's language. We learned to wait and follow her lead to encourage more spontaneous language, to cue her to take turns and have conversations, to expand on her language to add to her comprehension and vocabulary--I could go on and on. Tonight we compared videos taken before we all started the program, to ones taken this week--the difference in all o...more
Steph
Dec 18, 2007 Steph rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents who want to increase communication in a possitive way with their children
This book was recommended by a speech therapist. I also got a DVD from the Hannen institute in Canada that encourages communication through songs and rhymnes. The main principles I took from this are to listen more to your children, wait for them to initiate, try not to say the word "say" instead get to know their interests. They break down steps that are very easy to remember about being patient with our little ones that are still learning to talk. It has helped my daughter, Chelsea who has com...more
Nichole
This book is a remarkable guide to teaching a parent how to help their developmentally late child. My daughter has always been fast at reaching milestones, but we noticed she was having a hard time when it came to speaking. Through this program (a class that the book goes along with) I learned that my daughter isn't technically a late speaker, but rather has an articulation problem. I highly recommend this book to any parent who has or will have another baby. It can only help improve upon skills...more
Eva
Great guide. Gave me some excellent understanding into how to encourage communication with my 2 year old. Easy read. Lots of examples and sweet little drawings to illustrate each technique.
Kevin
This is the book is basically the textbook to the Hanen method, a program designed to help babies and toddlers communicate. The material is approachable and easy to read, but the key is practice and repetition. It is still early, but I've seen some positive results with my speech-delayed son.
JoAnne
The book is awesome but the course is even better! It expands upon ideas in the book and helps you put the concepts into practice. It helped me know how to bring the language out of my speech-delayed son. Absolutely phenomenal! (But take the course... hence the 4 stars)
Patricia
Oct 05, 2012 Patricia is currently reading it
This is a book published by the Hanen Centre. I will be taking the course in the spring, but decided to order the book and DVD from the Hanen Centre to try to implement some of the methods in the interim.
Alisa
The Hanen program is great for young kids with language and communication delays. The book is best when taken with the course, but even if you can't take the course, read the book. A parenting essential.
Heather
Excellent for parents who have children with language delays. This is a textbook for a course, but since I couldn't take the class I read it on my own. It has been tremendously helpful!!
Hien
This book is good for babies and toddlers
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Laislee
Laislee marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Rebecca Wheeler
Rebecca Wheeler is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Ista
Ista marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sakka Raksasap
Sakka Raksasap marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Winnie Daly
Winnie Daly marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Amrita
Amrita marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Julie Lunk
Julie Lunk marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Alexa
Alexa added it
Jun 08, 2014
Harshani
Harshani marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Yudelsys Santana
Yudelsys Santana marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Praten doe je met zijn tweeën