Start by marking “It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children With Language Delays” as Want to Read:

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This updated edition of The Hanen Center's classic guidebook is a must-have for parents, speech-language pathologists and others who work with or care for young children with language delays. It Takes Two to Talk is written in simple language and is full of beautiful, color illustrations. It shows parents how to help their child communicate and learn language during everyd ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Ingram

To ask other readers questions about It Takes Two to Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes Two to Talk

Autumn
A lot is common sense but it's a useful resource.
Suzy
This book (and the course by the same title) is phenomenal. By far the least cost for the greatest gain of any intervention we've done for our daughter's language. We learned to wait and follow her lead to encourage more spontaneous language, to cue her to take turns and have conversations, to expand on her language to add to her comprehension and vocabulary--I could go on and on. Tonight we compared videos taken before we all started the program, to ones taken this week--the difference in all o ...more
Steph
Dec 18, 2007 Steph rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents who want to increase communication in a possitive way with their children
This book was recommended by a speech therapist. I also got a DVD from the Hannen institute in Canada that encourages communication through songs and rhymnes. The main principles I took from this are to listen more to your children, wait for them to initiate, try not to say the word "say" instead get to know their interests. They break down steps that are very easy to remember about being patient with our little ones that are still learning to talk. It has helped my daughter, Chelsea who has com ...more
Nichole
This book is a remarkable guide to teaching a parent how to help their developmentally late child. My daughter has always been fast at reaching milestones, but we noticed she was having a hard time when it came to speaking. Through this program (a class that the book goes along with) I learned that my daughter isn't technically a late speaker, but rather has an articulation problem. I highly recommend this book to any parent who has or will have another baby. It can only help improve upon skills ...more
Rebecca Wheeler
Informative, easy to read, easy to understand.
It gave me clear indication of what my toddler's stage of communication was, with strong advice of how a parent can assist their child with delayed speech syndrome, learning to talk. This shows how important a parents role is in child learning communication.
This was 'homework' set by our speech therapist, and I've found this invaluable.
Did start to repeat information after a while and I started to skim. But the fundamentals of understanding are there
Eva
Great guide. Gave me some excellent understanding into how to encourage communication with my 2 year old. Easy read. Lots of examples and sweet little drawings to illustrate each technique.
Kevin
This is the book is basically the textbook to the Hanen method, a program designed to help babies and toddlers communicate. The material is approachable and easy to read, but the key is practice and repetition. It is still early, but I've seen some positive results with my speech-delayed son.
JoAnne
The book is awesome but the course is even better! It expands upon ideas in the book and helps you put the concepts into practice. It helped me know how to bring the language out of my speech-delayed son. Absolutely phenomenal! (But take the course... hence the 4 stars)
Patricia
Oct 05, 2012 Patricia is currently reading it
This is a book published by the Hanen Centre. I will be taking the course in the spring, but decided to order the book and DVD from the Hanen Centre to try to implement some of the methods in the interim.
Alisa
The Hanen program is great for young kids with language and communication delays. The book is best when taken with the course, but even if you can't take the course, read the book. A parenting essential.
Heather
Excellent for parents who have children with language delays. This is a textbook for a course, but since I couldn't take the class I read it on my own. It has been tremendously helpful!!
Katie
Useful resource. Common sense practices broken down into strategies.
Hien
This book is good for babies and toddlers
Joe Chan
Joe Chan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Patricia Bush
Patricia Bush marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Carlos
Carlos is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2015
Tennille Anderson
Tennille Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Amit
Amit marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Reham
Reham marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Casey
Casey is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2015
Ina Guha
Ina Guha is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Vivian Li
Vivian Li marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sushoma Nagaraj
Sushoma Nagaraj marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Yuni Kurnia
Yuni Kurnia marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Khandakar Musabbir
Khandakar Musabbir marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Praten doe je met zijn tweeën