The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This re-examination of the Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea, the people described in Malinowski's classic ethnographic work of the early 20th century, provides a balanced view of the society from a male and female perspective, including coverage of new discoveries about the importance of woman's work and wealth in the society.
Published January 4th 1988 by Wadsworth Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

Tortla
I wanna be a Trobriander.
Regina Andreassen

I am an anthropologist and a sociologist, and I read this book right in the beginning of my degree. I enjoyed it. I thought that although the writing was simple, the book was quite revealing, concise, and assertive.

Now I am doing my PhD and after reading it again my attitude towards it has changed a bit. I still think The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea is a good ethnography but I also think that is incomplete for there are issues that need further elaboration; for example, Weiner should have g...more
Nicki
This was a very interesting book! It gave a good, holistic perspective of the Trobriander tribes. I had to read it for my Anthropology class, and it was a good documentary of the people. I only wish it had been a little more spirited in sections, as it read more like a textbook than a woman's experience with a society. But on the whole, a good book.
Heather
My husband had to read this book for a class he was taking, and it was laying around so I thought why not. Turns out it was quite interesting. It is amazing how different our cultures really are. Pretty cool book to get you started thinking about life out there other than our own.
Jeffrey Bates
I liked this book enough to remember it from college. And I learned so much from it that I was able to lecture my father on the Trobrianders during a long road trip to Arkansas to go fishing.
Sovatha
Easier to read than Malinowski's Argonauts of the Western Pacific and challenged a lot of Malinowski's original findings.
Denisha Canady
Denisha Canady marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Voninio Brito
Voninio Brito marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Pablo Fridman
Pablo Fridman marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Braden
Braden marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Dulam Javkhlan
Dulam Javkhlan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Shahirahisa
Shahirahisa marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Cloth and Human Experience Inalienable Possessions: The Paradox of Keeping-While Giving Women Of Value, Men Of Renown: New Perspectives In Trobriand Exchange Inalienable Possessions: The Paradox of Keeping-While Giving