Start by marking “The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea” as Want to Read:
The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A re-examination of the Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea, the people described in Malinowski's ethnographic work of the early 20th century. Provides a view of the society from a male and female perspective, including new discoveries about the importance of women's work and wealth in the society.
Published January 1st 1988 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston

To ask other readers questions about The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

Tortla
I wanna be a Trobriander.
Jeffrey Bates
I liked this book enough to remember it from college. And I learned so much from it that I was able to lecture my father on the Trobrianders during a long road trip to Arkansas to go fishing.
Sovatha
Easier to read than Malinowski's Argonauts of the Western Pacific and challenged a lot of Malinowski's original findings.
Regina Andreassen

I am an anthropologist and a sociologist, and I read this book right in the beginning of my degree. I enjoyed it. I thought that although the writing was simple, the book was quite revealing, concise, and assertive.

Now I am doing my PhD and after reading it again my attitude towards it has changed a bit. I still think The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea is a good ethnography but I also think that is incomplete for there are issues that need further elaboration; for example, Weiner should have g
Nicki
This was a very interesting book! It gave a good, holistic perspective of the Trobriander tribes. I had to read it for my Anthropology class, and it was a good documentary of the people. I only wish it had been a little more spirited in sections, as it read more like a textbook than a woman's experience with a society. But on the whole, a good book.
Heather
My husband had to read this book for a class he was taking, and it was laying around so I thought why not. Turns out it was quite interesting. It is amazing how different our cultures really are. Pretty cool book to get you started thinking about life out there other than our own.
Angelina Rivera
Angelina Rivera is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Kevin Asencio
Kevin Asencio marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Alondra
Alondra is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Erika Herrera
Erika Herrera marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
James Tripp
James Tripp marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Grace Chalhoub
Grace Chalhoub marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Jude
Jude added it
Dec 31, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Aliyah Briggs
Aliyah Briggs marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Cleiton
Cleiton marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Yanomamo
  • The Dobe Ju/'Hoansi
  • The Forest of Symbols: Aspects Of Ndembu Ritual
  • Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches
  • Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion: An Anthropological Study of the Supernatural
  • Anthropological Theory: An Introductory History
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • Europe and the People Without History
  • The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
  • Nest in the Wind: Adventures in Anthropology on a Tropical Island
  • Shamanism, Colonialism, and the Wild Man: A Study in Terror and Healing
  • Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization
  • Ancient North America
  • The Sexual Life of Savages
Cloth and Human Experience Inalienable Possessions: The Paradox of Keeping-While Giving Women Of Value, Men Of Renown: New Perspectives In Trobriand Exchange