Start by marking “The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea” as Want to Read:
The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This re-examination of the Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea, the people described in Malinowski's classic ethnographic work of the early 20th century, provides a balanced view of the society from a male and female perspective, including coverage of new discoveries about the importance of woman's work and wealth in the society.
Published January 4th 1988 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston

To ask other readers questions about The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea

Tortla
Nov 13, 2014 Tortla rated it really liked it
I wanna be a Trobriander.
Sydney
Apr 29, 2016 Sydney rated it liked it
Required reading for my anthropology course. I really thought this book was interesting because it explored all areas of the Trobriand culture and way of life. I learned a lot about this society!
Jeffrey Bates
Oct 26, 2010 Jeffrey Bates rated it liked it
I liked this book enough to remember it from college. And I learned so much from it that I was able to lecture my father on the Trobrianders during a long road trip to Arkansas to go fishing.
Sovatha
Sep 20, 2011 Sovatha rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic-reading
Easier to read than Malinowski's Argonauts of the Western Pacific and challenged a lot of Malinowski's original findings.
Regina Andreassen
Jul 17, 2012 Regina Andreassen rated it liked it

I am an anthropologist and a sociologist, and I read this book right in the beginning of my degree. I enjoyed it. I thought that although the writing was simple, the book was quite revealing, concise, and assertive.

Now I am doing my PhD and after reading it again my attitude towards it has changed a bit. I still think The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea is a good ethnography but I also think that is incomplete for there are issues that need further elaboration; for example, Weiner should have g
Allison West
Apr 22, 2015 Allison West rated it liked it
I read this for class and I thought it was going to be very, very dull, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it rather interesting especially when it is paired with the film which allows you to better imagine these interesting and complex people.
Nicki
Aug 12, 2011 Nicki rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book! It gave a good, holistic perspective of the Trobriander tribes. I had to read it for my Anthropology class, and it was a good documentary of the people. I only wish it had been a little more spirited in sections, as it read more like a textbook than a woman's experience with a society. But on the whole, a good book.
Heather
Apr 01, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
My husband had to read this book for a class he was taking, and it was laying around so I thought why not. Turns out it was quite interesting. It is amazing how different our cultures really are. Pretty cool book to get you started thinking about life out there other than our own.
Brian Dawson
Brian Dawson rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Erica Converso
Erica Converso rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Alyssa Smoot
Alyssa Smoot rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Parimala
Parimala is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Sarah is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2016
Galen
Galen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Stacey Brooke
Stacey Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Jen
Jen added it
Aug 15, 2016
Sehwa Moon
Sehwa Moon marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Piyali Mukherjee
Piyali Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Chanda Clemons-Santee
Chanda Clemons-Santee is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
Kimberely Van Pool
Kimberely Van Pool marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Maribel Ramos
Maribel Ramos marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Matej
Matej marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • The Yanomamo
  • The Dobe Ju/ Hoansi
  • The Forest of Symbols: Aspects Of Ndembu Ritual
  • Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
  • Anthropology as Cultural Critique: An Experimental Moment in the Human Sciences
  • Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion: An Anthropological Study of the Supernatural