Start by marking “Understanding God's Will: How to Hack the Equation Without Formulas” as Want to Read:
Understanding God's Will: How to Hack the Equation Without Formulas

Understanding God's Will: How to Hack the Equation Without Formulas

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Everyone struggles with questions like, "How can I know if I'm pursuing God's will or my own?" In this book, pastor Kyle Lake suggests that God's will for a person's life isn't as formulaic as it's often made out to be. This book alleviates ambiguities about God's desires for our lives. Through the use of scriptural metaphors such as discipleship, kingdom and fatherhood, t...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Relevant Books

To ask other readers questions about Understanding God's Will, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding God's Will

Ike
Apr 12, 2008 Ike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who need to rethink their ideas of God's will
Some good stuff to think about, in that the author attempts to have you rethink the way we normally think of God's will. The author's main starting point and the stream that flows through the whole bok is that "...lying behind every myth concerning God's will is a myth about God."

A quick read with good questions but overall minimal depth. Perfect book to recommend to someone who wants to think about this topic, but not feel like they just took a Seminary class on God's will.
The writing is creative and laid-back, a refreshing style. He raises good questions and points, but honestly, the theology is weak. The issue of God's sovereignty (how much does He know or plan about our lives?) isn't addressed, which is crucial in how we approach God's will. Much of his reasoning is based on experience and "logic" instead of on Scripture. It was disappointing enough I didn't read the last couple of chapters.
Thor Olberg
Jul 07, 2007 Thor Olberg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: christian
Interesting book - very easy read. Most of the book is "fluff" and personal stories from the author, but it really helps you look at doing "God's Will" in a new light. If you look at God's Will as you would a parent looking at a child, you realize it's much more about God walking along side us helping us learn how to make good choices, rather than a puppetmaster pulling everyone's strings.
Adam
I also read this book while I was in Uganda and to be honest it made me a little sad. I thought that Kyle Lake made some really great points about what God's will is for our lives but it was sad because Kyle was electrocuted while doing a baptism at his church almost two years ago and he talks a lot about watching his three children grow up in this book and now he never will.
Ellen
I loved how Kyle Lake talked to you - he did not assume a role of preacher but of friend when writing this book. Making the opinions expressed all the more poignant, Kyle's death remained in my mind while reading.
James
A book that actually changed the way I think about things on a day to day basis. I haven't read it in 8 years, but back then - what a breath of fresh air.
steph boyay
Will awaken your thoughts on God's will for your life. After reading you will forever think twice before throwing around the term "God's will".
Tyler Lane
Some may find the style a bit odd, but definitely worth a read. It's quick, funny and thought provoking
David Freeman
David Freeman is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Karin Katherine
Karin Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jul 13, 2014
Jason Hunt
Jason Hunt is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2014
Lynne Lorentsen
Lynne Lorentsen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Joel
Joel added it
Aug 12, 2013
Joe Tynan
Joe Tynan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Jane Carlson
Jane Carlson marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Chre
Chre marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013