Start by marking “The Great Giveaway: Reclaiming the Mission of the Church from Big Business, Parachurch Organizations, Psychotherapy, Consumer Capitalism, and Other Modern Maladies” as Want to Read:

"North American evangelicals learned to do church in relation to modernity," asserts David Fitch. Furthermore, evangelicals have begun to model their ministries after the secular sciences or even to farm out functions of the church whenever it seems more efficient. As a result, the church, too often, has stopped being the church.
In The Great Giveaway, Fitch examines vario
Published November 1st 2005 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Great Giveaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Giveaway

Adam Ross
Jul 20, 2011 Adam Ross rated it it was amazing
This might be the best book I have read thus far, this year. The conceit of the book is that the Church has essentially given itself away to big business, sundry ministries outside the local body, psychology, individualism, and other expressions of modernism. He considers himself a postmodern Christian, but nonetheless, he interacts with the positive elements within Postmodernism, and his solutions are (mostly) spot on.

In other words, the church has given all of its vital ministries to other org
Tim
Jul 03, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
"Evangelicals often preach that what the culture needs is absolute truth, but what the culture needs is a church that believes the truth so absolutely it actually lives it out."

This book annoyed me at times with its repetition and form (and so postmodernism tells us...), but that annoyance could not overcome my delight with Fitch's diagnosis of the evangelical church's ills and the treatments he offers for that disease. The lack of an evangelical ecclesiology has troubled me for some time and he
Garland Vance
Oct 25, 2011 Garland Vance rated it it was amazing
When my professor first assigned this book, I thought, "Oh, great, Emergent Church propaganda." I was in no way excited about reading this book. However, I was very wrong in my initial assessment of this book and believe it is one of the most thought-provoking and insightful books that I have read this year.
Although Fitch says that he is sensitive to the emergent church, I would not classify him as an Emergent. Rather, he wrestles with being the church in a post-Christian, postmodern society wit
David
Sep 07, 2009 David rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
The first chapter is AWESOME! Then the bait-and-switch. The author claims to be "evangelical" but really isn't all that strongly evangelical. He is more marked by being post-modern. Which is fine! Just because one comes from and still loves fellow evangelicals doesn't mean one is evangelical. He is really more emergent and post-modern.

Further, the author goes through and bashes the absolute worst of modernity. Like that's hard to do. He uses arbitrary standards for what is a "good" church - all
David
Aug 17, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read all year. Basic premise is that the evangelical Church - because of its love affair with modernity - has given away what makes it a distinctive counter-cultural community. Uses lots of postmodern insights to deconstruct the narrative of modernity (particularly the insights of theologians Stanley Hauerwas, John Howard Yoder, and John Millbank). But includes more than critique. Also includes helpful suggestions for recovering the identity and mission of the Church thro ...more
David Goetz
Relatively poor writing, and somewhat repetitive, but the general idea is good: we need to reclaim the mission of the church--our understanding of the church as the people of God, created and sustained by him, for the sake of God's mission in the world. Fitch helpfully shows how that grand a vision of the church's purpose works itself out in particular "realms" of human experience.
J
Apr 19, 2009 J rated it liked it
I didn't totally agree with his ideas for change, although I wasn't opposed to any of them...but I did agree with assessment of modern church culture and its dangers!
Also, the first half of the book was far more compelling and better argued, I thought - although it might just have been more relevant to my experiences (having not home-schooled a child, for example).
Bob
Apr 16, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book to Christians who are wondering what is wrong with the church today and what can be done about it. I find myself reading and rereading several chapters. The thing that makes this book unique is the author starts with theology and goes to practice.
Curtis
Jul 25, 2014 Curtis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
Having seen the effects of the modernist evangelical approach to ecclesiology, I found the author's perspective absolutely refreshing. It is my hope that many more leaders and Christians read this important work. Then put it into practice.
Oli101
Aug 31, 2008 Oli101 rated it it was amazing
This gets to the very bones of what a church should be, an absolute must for any church planter or any minister trying to missional.
Julia Matallana
Aug 27, 2013 Julia Matallana rated it did not like it
Horrid! Bad writing, uses outdated language, reductionistic and over simplified. No nuance and draws false dichotomies everywhere.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Mike Normoyle
Mike Normoyle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Lon
Lon is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2016
Deb
Deb added it
Jan 30, 2016
Stacy Paprocki
Stacy Paprocki is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Sanejo Leonard
Sanejo Leonard rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Jakob Brown
Jakob Brown rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Rohadi
Rohadi added it
Nov 22, 2015
Aaron Foltz
Aaron Foltz rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
William Guice
William Guice rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Fitch is B. R. Lindner Chair of Evangelical Theology at Northern Seminary Chicago, IL. He's married to Rae Ann and they have one child, a son Max. He's pastored and participated in many church plants including Life on the Vine Christian Community a missional church in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Most recently he and his family have joined Peace ...more
More about David E. Fitch...