Start by marking “Cheating Lessons” as Want to Read:
Cheating Lessons

Cheating Lessons

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A 2003 YALSA Best Book for Young Adults Nominee When Bernadette is named to Wickham High's state championship quiz bowl team, she is overjoyed. But her joy quickly fades as she begins to suspect that someone cheated to get the school into the contest.

An Accelerated Reader(R) title.
Hardcover, Large Print, 296 pages
Published May 1st 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published February 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cheating Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheating Lessons

Michelle
A bit slow to start, with a somewhat unlikeable main character, this book does get better and develops into an interesting story. Bernadette is an only child, with one good friend, and a belief in the importance of intelligence. She's passionate about debating, and passionate about her new English teacher, Mr Malory. Malory is British, and determined to extend his students. He's also very nice looking. Malory becomes the coach of Bernadette and 4 other students in an academic quiz against a neig...more
Sara
Bernadette Terrell has always known the right thing to do. Not the most popular girl in school, her focus has always been on academic, not social, success. When her favorite teacher names her to Wickham High School's state championship quiz bowl team, she believes that she has reached the pinnacle of her high school academic career. However, her elation quickly fades as she begins to suspect that perhaps someone cheated to get Wickham into the contest and is cheating still.

In her search for ans...more
Alexandra
Jun 07, 2008 Alexandra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone/Students
Shelves: advisory07-08
This book was very much detailed throughout the whole book.
From this novel, I learned more about the main character and her struggles in finding a cheater from her school and debate against them. I thought that this book was informative on ways to debate and how one person will be able to debate her whole life and make herself different from other people because she was not afraid to express her thoughts. It showed me the different ways people deal with problems and how to get out of them easie...more
Helen
This book wasn't as detailed as I though it would have been, but at allowed me to understand the workings of a student who just loves to debate. From this novel, I learned more about the main character and her struggles in finding a cheater from her school (or others) and debate against them (her main point in the story). I for one, thought that this book was informative on ways (different ways) to debate and how one person will be able to debate her whole life and make herself different from ot...more
TheSaint
Almost everyone at Wickham High School is thrilled with their victory over Pinehurst in the Classics Contest. Everyone but Bernadette, who has a sneaking suspicion that somebody cheated. When Mr. Malory (the hottie Classics coach) convinces her that the scoring was legitimate, she and her teammates begin spending all their free time studying for their rematch with Pinehurst in the Classics Bowl. But something still doesn't feel right to Bernadette. In Cheating Lessons, a first novel by Nan Willa...more
Sandra Strange
Not what you think—it’s not the kids who are cheating. Bernadette goes to Wickham High--and she has a smashing English teacher who encourages her and other top students to compete in a statewide quiz bowl. The kids do unexpectedly well in the written test, so well, in fact, that they will compete with their rival “rich kids” school for the state championship. However--did they come by their scores honestly, or did the favorite teacher “cheat”? Positive, though a little simplistic in places.

Nancy
I picked up this book because it was written by Margaret's sister (who I could have met had I gone to book club this month). It is a young adult novel about a high school senior, a smart girl with not a lot of friends and a crush on her English teacher. As her team goes to a competition, Bernadette finds things she probably didn't want to know, but grows up a bit and widens her circle of friends, in the end.
Rachel
The protagonist is a 16 year old girl with a photographic memory and a fierce sense of academic excellence. I was intrigued by the title and the blurb on the back. It claims to examine hard truths about right and wrong, black and white.And it does. The language was coarser than I like, even in adult literature, but not obnoxiously so.

I'd be okay with my teens reading it, but I'd want to discuss it afterward.
Nich S
1. Cheating Lessons
2. Nan Willard Cappo
3. Mystery
4. 8 points
5. Anyone
6. This book is about a college student. In her school, they scored extremely high on their tests and were entered into the Classic Bowl. The girl thought that someone there in her class had cheated because she did not think that they could have scored that high on their test. This book is about her efforts to uncover the truth.
Stephanie A.
I did NOT expect that person to be the culprit! Aside from that, I was too busy being dazzled by the notion of a prestigious academic competition whose questions were about nothing except classic literature. Hey there, high school dream! Plus, Bernadette was me, only smarter and more well-socialized than I could ever hope for.
Dotty
The state championship quiz bowl is only a week away and Bernadette is certain the only reason her team is in the bowl is because someone on her team cheated. It had to be cheating that got them to the bowl in the first place and now someone wants to make sure her team wins.
Isabelle
Ummm . . . okay. Endings. I don't really know what to think. A mix of happy that the main character did the right thing and feeling disappointed that (view spoiler)
Josh
Nov 12, 2007 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: 3-stars
This was a pretty good book. It is about a girl who is really smart, and her school. She goes in a competition, along with other smart people. There is a mystery to be solved though
Vicki
Bernadette an intelligent 16 yr old discovers all may not be right w/the high school staff(cheating) and her Wickham Wizards as they go into the camionship quiz bowl. Great.
Debrarian
When her team is announced as finalists in the state Classics Bowl contest, Bernadette suspects that cheating may have been involved. Fairly fun to read but didn’t really wash.
Nan
Jun 07, 2011 Nan added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrote
to see all Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Cheating-Lesson...
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Conflict arises when one member of a group of teen participants in a quiz show for students discovers that the others were cheating.
Chad Jensen
That book was good I like it Bernadette is a smart girl and she is nice and don't cheat and she do the right thing
Elissa
What do you do when the teacher is cheating in a competition, you know cheating is wrong but you really want to win?
Kara
Nov 17, 2007 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Shelves: advisory-07-08
This was a good book. I really enjoyed reading it. i recommend people to read it. it is a really deep book
Julia
This book is OK I read it for class but I dont sugjest you read it unless you are serious and very smart.
Amanda
it was good the first time.. boring and tiresome the second time around.. plus it was really predictable
Joey, about to e-x-p-l-o-d-e.
Long book, actually, it was probably made for high schoolers, but it's a great book, I think!
Mandi Murphy
I just couldn't get into this book. I really wanted to like it, but it couldn't catch my interest.
Caitlin
This was honestly one of the better, well-written young adult books that I have read in years.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
My first novel was CHEATING LESSONS, in which a teenaged girl must finesse a cheating scandal in her school. It won an Edgar nomination for Best YA mystery. My latest book is UNACCOUNTED FOR, a bit edgier--suitable for mature teens and adults (has a male hero this time). I'd love reader feedback on it, as I'm writing the sequel now.
More about Nan Willard Cappo...
Unaccounted For