Adventures in Missing the Point

Adventures in Missing the Point

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  60 reviews
How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel If you re brave enough to take an honest look at the issues facing the culture controlled church and the issues in your own life read on. Do you ever look at how the Christian faith is being lived out in the new millennium and wonder if we re not doing what we re supposed to be doing? That we still haven t quite gotten...more
Published January 29th 2006 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Missing the Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Missing the Point

Joey
I recommend this book to all of my Christian friends. It helps us reevaluate agendas and beliefs of the church to see if we have "missed the point" and how we can adjust our focus to what really matters in our relationship with God, our neighbors, and our culture. The chapters on doubt, theology, salvation, the end times, and homosexuality were especially eye opening for me. This book gives plenty to think upon and wrestle with if a believer wants to contemplate other angles in which they can vi...more
Ashley
(forgive the stupid review...it's 6am, and I've been up all night)

This book didn't really give out any answers.

...and for once, I dont think that was the point of the book! (how refreshing!)

Rather, it broached on numerous topics Christians (and society at large) are facing, and offered up some new ways to view them, some questions to ask yourself, and a few tidbits to toss around in your mind.

Particularly interesting were the chapters on:

Salvation
Kingdom of God
The Bible
Evangelism
Homosexuality
&...more
Tom
This was a book that I wanted to read for quite a while but never went out and purchased for myself. About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I was given this book as a gift and so I dived in and read. It was good, not as good as I had hoped (which made me glad that I wasn’t the one who bought it!). The format was rather simple. Two respected Christian leaders (no matter if you agree with them or not)…each wrote a number of chapters in the book and at the end of each chapter the other one gave a brief response to...more
Michael
I read McLaren's "A Generous Orthodoxy" not long ago and was glad I did, even if I found it to be too generous here and there. So when I found this book on a clearance table I thought I'd give it a try. The set-up has a lot of potential, as the authors take turns writing essays on various topics and then responding to and challenging the ideas of the other.

Occasionally there are some good insights from both authors, but there's also entirely too much personal opinion put forth as scriptural mand...more
Josh Welker
This book was not quite as good as A Generous Orthodoxy, but it was a good, short read (I read it over Christmas while traveling). Co-author Tony Campolo is quite a bit more conservative than Brian McLaren and provides some very much-needed balance where McLaren tends to steer off a bit too much to the liberal side.

The thesis of the book is that most American Evangelicals are "missing the point" on most hot-button Christian issues by focusing on minor details and neglecting the big picture. The...more
Eric Sundquist
Talk about a rush job! I don't think I've ever seen a published book with more typos -- not spellcheck typos, but missing words, incorrect word order and just plain weird stuff.

I don't think that the responsive format was as useful as it could be. Either an author agreed with the other and then wrote his own mini-chapter on the topic, or he disagreed and did not give very full support for his disagreement. More back and forth might have been more productive as well: give the original author a ch...more
Mark
This book is biblically unsound in many different ways. The authors present a number of different subjects, and "rant" on their idea of how things ought to be. The book at first appears to be a great read as you begin the first few chapters, but it soon digresses into the ultra-liberal biblical doctrine which both authors seem to hold. It screams "Emergent-Church" movement as the authors attempt to persuade you to their point of view which is in most chapters to discard logical and biblical thin...more
I read this for book club, and really liked the openness that was used to discuss common problems facing the church in modern society. I feel like they hit some issues right on the head for me, as I was nodding in agreement, and some, well...some they needed to be even more open about in my opinion. Excited to discuss.
Dusti
Some subjects are glossed over a little, but I feel the format can help create good discussion when used in a group setting. Because I tend to agree with much of what is said in the book, I gave it a higher rating than some others did. That's an honest review.
Nate
Pros: Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo addressing current issues that cripple the church with suggestions for alternative ways of belief and action.

Lots of topics. Easy to read, and one doesn't have to read it in a linear fashion because each chapter is basically self-contained.

Cons: It seemed like the authors were mostly talking past each other, or they didn't have enough room to adequately address each other's concerns. Point-counterpoint format is good, but I'd like to see it as a point-counter...more
Karen
It was an interesting take on many "important issues" that the church faces today. Quite frankly, I think many of these so-called issues are over-blown and fed as a means of encouraging conflict within memberships rather than a means of speaking truth and gospel.

That said, there were some points where I agreed wholeheartedly, and others where I wondered if the AUTHORS had missed the point. All told, however, it was good to read about subjects that often make me angry, uncomfortable or even comp...more
Molly
Feb 23, 2008 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is frustrated with "the church"
I picked this book up after hearing Tony Campolo speak at a local function. Having read almost everything else he has published in the past 30 years I was thrilled to find something NEW that was not full of the same stories.

Campolo is a great story teller-even when recycled they can make you laugh, cry and think. This book was different in that he shares the stage with Brian McLaren. I really enjoyed the differing views offered by each and discovered somethings that I didn't know about Campolo.

T...more
Daniel
Jan 28, 2010 Daniel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Strong Christians seeking to test their faith, Theologians looking for bad theology
The chapter on sin, or more accurately how we should deal graciously toward others who are struggling with sin, was the best chapter of this book. The rest of the book had some very good points, but the chapters were filled with over-reactions, straw-men arguments and very biblically weak theology. I found this book to be dangerous, not for the points the authors try to make (many of them very good points), but for the way they try to make them. The foundation of their arguments was more philoso...more
Simon
a worthwhile read . interesting in that one author essays a topic relevant to Christians and the other author gives a critique. sort of point-counterpoint. both authors I have respect for and both come from what I would assume to be somewhat different perspectives. interesting in that I found myself endorsing the point of view of one author and then agreeing with the counterpoint of the other. it left me feeling that so often I can entrench myself in one viewpoint without giving creedence to ano...more
Danny Bennett
The reality is that there are much better books written on each of the topics in this book. I first read this book in college with a conservative and a liberal. I liked to think I was the moderate view but I am probably more conservative today after reading and interacting with people who know what they are talking about. There are many times I feel like McLaren and Campolo miss the point. The views the two hold are pretty much what you would expect from their emerging church movement, a movemen...more
Brandon
The authors take turns in this book writing a chapter on specific theological topics, then the other author writes a short reply to the chapter. I found the book to provide a nice historical and balancing view to a laundry list of theological issues. Campolo often comes at topics from more of an evangelical, conservative stance, while McLaren is more liberal and open in his views.

The nice thing about this book is that if you are not interested in certain topics you can skip chapters without mis...more
Randy
I liked this book well enough, I suppose. Though they're both something of mavericks in modern evangelical Christianity, Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo do a relatively good job of balancing each other in this book. When McLaren abandons orthodoxy, Campolo pulls him back in. When Campolo gets lost in mysticism, McLaren calls him to a more practical faith.
Both authors know something is missing from the modern Church and do their best to help restore it. A bit too often they miss the point as well....more
An intriguing overview of the Campolo's and Mclaren's beliefs - two major voices in current Christianity that I was(am) woefully ignorant of. The book isn't profoundly in-depth, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading perspectives that I don't often hear in my own circles. The variety of topics kept the book light and fast-paced.
Melissa Wilkinson
This book includes some of the most controversial and personally challenging topics on Christianity and The Church that are out there. Homosexuality, Doubt, Social Action... It's great to think about and discuss with other believers, strengthening your own beliefs throughout the process. I really like how Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo switch off writing the chapters and then provide opposing commentary from another view. I highly recommend this book for group talks as well as personal reading.
Bo Liles
I'm moving this book to the read shelf, even though I will openly admit I have not read the entire thing word for word. it is quickly becoming a reference book, which for me means i will pull it off the shelf often and see if the subject matter informs my particular study at the time.

A good book, but I sense a lack of passion. Not that it is not there, but the energy of the authors solo works does not translate here.

A good book, but nothing I haven't heard each man say elsewhere.
Jack
I hav to start off by saying I am NOT a big fan of Brian McClaren, but I enjoy what he writes sometimes, This is worth the read. Brian and Tony (Campolo) hit the major topics and how we miss the point. They tackle evangelism, theology, the Bible, salvation, culture and a myriad of other topics. It is like a point-counterpoint, although sometimes they both agree. Short chapters (topics) that can be picked up anywhere in the book, for all of you non-linear types like me.
Steph
Great for starting discussions, but at times the authors seemed unwilling to fully commit to an opinion, or seemed to dance around a topic without just jumping in... not sure why they bothered to include those. I found the chapter on homosexuality frustrating and offensive - not at all what I had expected from these particular authors... but again, at least it started a good discussion with the campus ministry group that was reading through the book together!
Don
Mar 14, 2011 Don rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is more or less a point-counterpoint between McLaren (who I don't know) and Campolo (of whom I am quite a fan). Basically, one writes an essay on a somewhat controversial Christian topic and the other writes a short agreement/rebuttal. They don't really disagree on much and the topics could have been a tad more daring, but there were definitely a few things brought up that made you think. They get one star at least for the title.
J.D.
A really good book that covers many different topics concerning people and Christians today. Because there are many different issues that they talk about, however, they are not really able to expound on them too much. This does a great job in starting to create a dialogue on these issues rather than simply making them black and white. We would do well to take this approach and open our eyes a little more to understand others.
Erin
This is a good point/counter-point to get your thoughts rolling on some Christian level topics that seem to come up in everyday life. Some chapters are thought-provoking and well-researched. Others are ill-formed and pretty bad. The book is great to just pick out some controversial topics and present a couple views. However, prayer about the topics and doing your own research is highly recommended.
Joel Cox
Campolo is a great story teller and with McLarens theological understanding, this books has a lot to offer. There is much more I wish they would have explained, however it is a very old book, so they have both come a long way since. Not sure if I would recommend it, they both have better books.
Pablo  Rodriguez
While I agreed with the authors and thought they made good points, there was nothing in this book that really captured me or made me think. It seemed like a book written by two authors who had a deadline to meet and sothey cranked out a book quickly. It's not a bad book, but just not inspiring or thought provoking.
Dave Minor
I think this is a good read if you are at that point in your faith where you want a fresh perspective. Campolo and McLaren will challenge you and their view is not easily dismissed. Here is McLaren:

the ultimate truth is not an objective concept, not an objective principle, but rather a Person...
Makeesha Fisher
McLaren and Compolo do a fantastic job of summarizing some of the greatest "missing the point" moments in churcheanity and they play well off each other, sweeping with broad brush strokes topics like the Kingdom, Theoloy, the Bible, the End Times, etc.
Phil
Still one of my all-time favorite books. While I may not see 100% (although it's pretty close) with everything in the book, it helped me to begin re-thinking some long standing...maybe assumptions on my part.
  • The Last Word and the Word after That: A Tale of Faith, Doubt, and a New Kind of Christianity
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • How (Not) to Speak of God: Marks of the Emerging Church
  • The New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor
  • The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • Lord, Save Us from Your Followers: Why Is the Gospel of Love Dividing America?
Red Letter Christians: A Christian's Guide to Faith and Politics, a Citizen's Guide to Faith and Politics Speaking My Mind: The Radical Evangelical Prophet Tackles the Tough Issues Christians Are Afraid to Face Letters To A Young Evangelical Let Me Tell You A Story Life Lessons From Unexpected Places And Unlikely People 20 Hot Potatoes Christians Are Afraid to Touch