Midnight's Choice

Midnight's Choice (Switchers #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Kate Thompson's sequel to Switchers has Tess confronting the sinister Martin, who as a vampire encourages her to join him in his evil ways. She is alone in her struggle because her friend Kevin has become a phoenix and now resides in a zoo.
Published May 7th 1998 by Putnam Aeronautical Books

Magda
I really hate that this book equates good with disinterested. I couldn't get past that, and then, to hammer in the blurb on the back's "young people are going to enjoy every bit as much as The Golden Compass," on page 138, "There was a certain arrogance about the bird's demeanor as he hung there above them all, passing his benevolent eyes from one to another, as distant as a priest handing out communion."

There are too many places to begin attacking that analogy. My husband is a priest, and he ta...more
Barbara ★
This is book 2 of the Switchers series (book 1 is Switchers). Tess is fourteen and only has one year to decide what she wants to be forever. At the age of 15, she can no longer switch shape at will. Her old switcher friend, Kevin reappears as a phoenix and Tess thinks it would be cool to be a phoenix forever, as well. Then she meets another switcher, Martin, who is a vampire and she's conflicted.

In a juvenile way this is an interesting series. Definitely something the younger generations would e...more
Relyn
Jul 31, 2013 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Switchers fans
Recommended to Relyn by: I loved the book Switchers
I just love libraries! I really wanted to read this hard-to-find book, so I did an interlibrary loan request. My library borrowed it from a library 5 hours away and had it sent to me. For free! God bless public libraries!

SPOILER ALERT
Anyway. I read the first book in this series called Switchers many years ago. I recently read it again and enjoyed it just as much. I looked to see what else Kate Thompson had written and found this sequel. To be honest, I found myself enjoying the book and then ann...more
Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm)
This is the second book in the series, and I have to admit I did not like it as much as the first one. But it was good all the same.

It follows the story of Tess as she tries to decide which animal she will choose forever, because at 15 you lose the ability to shift into any animal, you have to choose just one. Kevin chooses a phoenix, which Tess considers, but then she meets Martin, whose forever shape is a vampire. And she has a hard time deciding what she will choose when her time comes.

This w...more
Emily Porcupine
good. a little cheesy but good:-) :-) :-) quick and fun
Madi
Oanh
Less compelling and engrossing and (dare I say it w.r.t YA fantasy ...) credible than the first Switchers, but still very enjoyable. I read it in a single sitting, so I must have liked it!
Nicole
Nov 10, 2012 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gina Claphan
Powerful female main character that has to make some difficult decisions. Interesting read, introduction of vampire element, but only just
Natasha
It was interesting and had a much better sense of time than the previous. I definitely like this book more than the first one.
Vern
Great read. Good story. Looking forward to #3. Vampyrs in this one!
Angelina
it was fun to read and exsting
Caitlyn Ashley
Caitlyn Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Elke
Elke added it
Jul 16, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Constance
Constance marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Grace Conboy
Grace Conboy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jun 02, 2014
  • Danger in the Palace (Circle of Magic #4)
  • Bindings (The Books of Magic, #2)
  • Amos Daragon: La clé de Braha (Amos Daragon, #2)
  • The Mystery of Lord Sha (Book of the Stars, #2)
  • Lágrimas do Sol e da Lua (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #3)
  • Owl in Love
  • A Filha dos Mundos (O Ceptro de Aerzis, #1)
  • Caçadores de bruxas (Dragões de Éter, #1)
  • Death from the Woods
  • The Stones Are Hatching
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • The Light beyond the Forest: The Quest for the Holy Grail
  • Uma Aventura entre Douro e Minho (Uma Aventura, #6)
  • The Ring-O-bells Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #3)
  • Elske (Kingdom, #4)
  • Pure Dead Wicked (Pure Dead, #2)

Kate Thompson is an award-winning writer for children and adults.She has lived in Ireland, where many of her books are set, since 1981. She is the youngest child of the social historians and peace activists E. P. Thompson and Dorothy Towers. She worked with horses and travelled in India before settling in the w...more
More about Kate Thompson...
The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1) Switchers (Switchers, #1) Creature of the Night The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2) Wild Blood (Switchers, #3)