Start by marking “John Winchester's Journal (Supernatural)” as Want to Read:
John Winchester's Journal (Supernatural)

John Winchester's Journal (Supernatural)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,677 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
Sam and Dean Winchester know all the secrets their father recorded in his journal. Now you can, too.

On November 2, 1983, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a demonic supernatural force. In the wake of the tragedy, their father, John, set out to learn everything he could about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America . .
Published February 3rd 2009 by It Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about John Winchester's Journal, please sign up.

Eszter Kálmán This book is not in Polish. Even publish it not in Hungarian. But I translate to myself (and the Hungarian fans). Only in private. I can recommend…moreThis book is not in Polish. Even publish it not in Hungarian. But I translate to myself (and the Hungarian fans). Only in private. I can recommend this way. Unfortunately they are not issued in our country....:((less)

Nikki
May 21, 2009 Nikki rated it it was amazing
John Winchester's journal won't do much for you if you're not a fan of Supernatural, but if you are, it's an ultimate geeky resource. It contains all the bits we've seen from the journal in the show, at least up to 2009, and lots of little extra tidbits and stories about the young boys. We learn about the first time Sam walked -- took a few steps towards Dean and fell on his face -- and stuff like the fact that Sam is an evangelical Mac user, Dean's first solo hunt involved the ghosts of lesbian ...more
Sinead
Dec 28, 2015 Sinead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I go this from my brother for Christmas as he knows I'm a total nutter for my Winchester brothers! This book gives us an insight into John's grief and the boys' childhood, and how John basically forced Dean to grow up way too soon so he would look after his little brother. I skipped over some bits that were just about different monsters, but I'm still glad I read it and can add it to my shelf of Supernatural collectables!
Bre V.
Jan 19, 2012 Bre V. rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
The book, in and of itself, was interesting. A lot of lore and information on mythology and (especially) demonology- if you want culturally specific spirits, creatures and the like, this one's definitely for you. I was particularly facsinated with a brief period in the book where he fixated on water spirits and the puca, a mythical horse that's said to appear on Nov. 1st and take unsuspecting riders on a hellish romp and then give them advice if it feels like it. Sounds pretty badass to me- made ...more
Callum
May 31, 2012 Callum rated it liked it
Finally finished reading this last night. As a big fan of the series, I had high hopes for this prequel (maybe impossibly high hopes). I could have marked it down for feeling a bit disjointed in places but the more I think about it, the more that added to the effect of it being a personal journal of a traumatised individual.
What made me mark it down was that I felt some parts could have been elaborated much more, whilst other parts seemed laboriously dragged out. I felt it had a solid and believ
Oceana2602
Yes, I'm a rabid fangirl, and yes, I completely loved this book. Hell, I'll take every bit of additional canon that I get my hands on, because this show has yet to produce canon that isn't made of awesome (unlike other shows, where you really don't want to look at canon too closely, especially not the extra-tv-kind)

My hear bleeds for John, for the hurt that is always there in and between the lines, but also for the boys, because over the years the hurt turns into obsession, and well, we all know
Brandy Shark
Feb 07, 2011 Brandy Shark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any Supernatural fan
Shelves: fiction
Within the last year I have become a big fan of the tv show "Supernatural". I've tried to stay away from the tie-in books after attempting to read "Bone Key" and after Dean reffered to Sam as "Sammich" I decided that I was done with the genre; I could find better characterization in fanfiction, thank you very much.

But I had been interested in the journal, thinking it would be interesting and it was.

I found it fascinating the way the authors painted John's grief morphing into obsession with each
Nich Wise
Jun 23, 2014 Nich Wise rated it really liked it
This book made me angry. Not because it's a bad book, it's anything but. In fact it's a very good book. It was interesting reading johns point of view, seeing his reasons behind doing what he did. BUT OH MY GOSH IS HE ANNOYING! I hated Johns character in the show(I'm sorry but no flash backs are going to change that) and my friend told me to read this saying it would maybe make me like him. I HATE HIM EVEN MORE!

He whines and has more angst than souless Sam and argh he's annoying!
Amanda
Jul 27, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Love this book.
It very insightful about who John was and what he went though after Mary's death you definitely feel through out the book that John loved Mary and misses her with every entry that he writes in his journal. I felt John's pain and sadness over losing his wife and how much he struggle to be a hunter but not lose sight that he was a father of two young boys.
Pablo Moran
Feb 16, 2016 Pablo Moran rated it it was amazing
Kayla
Aug 08, 2013 Kayla rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Supernatural
I just had to get this book because I love Supernatural so much and now that I'm impatiently waiting for season nine (more Cas! Bobby's back! I can't handle it!!) I needed my little fix during the summer. While some parts of this book written in journal entries were awesome and cool to read, overall it was a little disappointing. There were major information dumps, which I understand because it's written to be like John's actually journal, full of information about creatures out there in the wor ...more
Sep 10, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
For the fans of the TV show Supernatural, this may seem like a great title to pick. The much-hyped journal of the Winchester brothers' often-absent father is like the Holy Grail for hunters. Unfortunately Irvine's take misses the mark on many points.

Many of the contents of the book hinted at throughout the series do not appear. Other events included in the book so boldly foreshadow some of the shows biggest revelations that you wonder how Sam and Dean hadn't figured them out earlier.

Then there's
Lindsey
Jul 22, 2015 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give me a good Supernatural based book and I will dive in and read it. This is a great book for any Supernatural fan. It provides fans with a new insight into John Winchester's life and how he treated the boys (Sam and Dean) when they were younger.

Two things that I really liked. One the way it was written. I loved the whole journal format of the book. It was different than Bobby's jornal which I liked because they are two different men. The second thing that I loved was the entries about the bo
Jul 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I love the TV show "Supernatural"- the two brothers Dean and Sam are some of the best acted TV show characters to come along in a long time! I have a total crush on the older brother Dean!!! I am loving this book so far because it gives so much background as to their dad's quest to find out what killed their mother. This book is strictly for fans of the show and if anyone is interested in discovering what it is all about then you can borrow seasons 1 and 2 and I will soon have season 3. For thos ...more
Dyah
Jul 09, 2012 Dyah rated it it was ok
I read this book only because I'm a big fan of SUPERNATURAL. I like the cover, the content settings, and the illustrations, but the content itself is mostly blearrghh (I was like skip-skip-skip through some parts because they're not interesting).

And I have this one question!
In the book, John Winchester mentioned that Dean has begun solo hunting since he's a teenager and it was before Sam left the family. But in the series, when Dean sought Sam out to help him look for their father, Sam seemed su
Anne
Dec 03, 2014 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I appreciated the detailed research and the lore connected to some of the cases in the show, I mostly skipped those pages. I was more interested in John's thoughts at the wake of losing his wife and raising his sons by himself. And even if there were some of that in the book, I wanted more.

This is still a good supplement to the show and made me understand how some episodes worked. There were a few mentions of the manananggal and aswang here, and it was a fangirling thing for me (for SPN t
Jamestine
There're probably a lot of Lore's informations that i will Forget in the future even if that was quite interesting but i have really loved to discover John's thoughts about his wife and kids; a lot of memories make sense once you have watched the show.
Meredith Watkins
Jun 26, 2014 Meredith Watkins rated it liked it
Fun little read to take your mind off a stressful day and into the world of the supernatural with the Winchester bunch. My husband and I watch the TV show as well, and this was a nice addition of all that goes bump in the night
Caitlin
Aug 11, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it
This book was a little difficult to get into. But once I figured out how exactly to read it, I really enjoyed it.
It's not entirely accurate to the canon of the show, but if you enjoy the type of things that are in the series, the book is still enjoyable.
Nina Kinney
Dec 18, 2014 Nina Kinney rated it it was ok
When I began to read it i read everything. By the end I was only reading everything that was about Dean, Sam, John or Bobby.
Natalie
While the books make the reader understand John and his sons much more, it is also a nice source of information on a lot of the creatures we meet during the TV show.
BookLoversLife
Jul 01, 2013 BookLoversLife rated it really liked it
Shelves: wish-list
I enjoyed the look into Johns life and especially the glimpses into Dean and Sams childhood. It explained why John was the way his was!!
Amanda
May 26, 2013 Amanda rated it did not like it
If you're reading for nothing more than pure enjoyment, it shouldn't have to be such a chore.
Connor Kelleher
Nov 06, 2016 Connor Kelleher rated it liked it
Although I have never seen the TV show Supernatural, the book was somewhat interesting. I thought the pace was very fast and the constant handwritten journal entries made the book more interesting but slightly harder to read. Although the book is fiction, the way the author make connections to family and feelings allow the reader to make a connection and it gives the author a sense of credibility. Almost all of the events that happen within the story can not happen in real life, but the author d ...more
Ririn
Jul 24, 2009 Ririn rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, horror
beware: ketidakkonsistenan penggunaan huruf kapital, spoiler gifs from later seasons of supernatural.

Jurnal john winchester disebut2 di sepanjang serial supernatural. menurut hint selama serial isinya adalah petualangan catatan john tentang dunia supranatural yang ditemuinya selama bertualang menjadi pemburu hantu (yes, this is a profession, deal with it). jadi, buku ini menjadi primbon utama sam and dean saat mereka mentok dalam berburu hantu.
dengan logika demikian, yang kepikiran buku ini akan
Aurora
Mar 11, 2017 Aurora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked hearing bout what John and the boy were going through and about different hunts that had happened over the years. I didn't enjoy they pages of demons names or the lists of things that went on longer than necessary.
Anne Bornhijm
Mar 12, 2017 Anne Bornhijm rated it it was ok
I bought this book in hope of lots of young Dean and Sam, but it was pushed aside by research and hunts and lure. This book is about 10% Winchester's and 90% hunts
Jessrawk
Mar 09, 2017 Jessrawk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I bought this on a whim, thinking it would be pretty silly & pure fluff. I didn't expect it to be even half as good as it was. It was awesome!

It's truly a collection of lore & mythology with personal anecdotes thrown in. The writing is smooth & succulent. The pain is overwhelming & the obsession is palpable.
Nessa [October Tune]
Read this review, and many more on my blog October Tune!

Ever since I found out Supernatural has novels as well, I got very excited. I got even more excited when I found out about John Winchester’s Journal, the book Sam and Dean use a lot in the first couple of seasons (not sure what happens to it in the later seasons, seeing as I haven’t watched any further than s3). I saw this book at the Forbidden Planet in Newcastle, and I knew I had to take it with me.

John Winchester’s Journal is about John
Suci Ramadhan
Mar 04, 2017 Suci Ramadhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catatan harian seorang Ayah. Ada banyak hal yang tidak di beri tahu ke kita (anaknya) tapi seorang ayah bisa mencurahkan isi hatinya paling dalam ke sebuah buku harian. Dan yah, saya agak mikir gimana kalo ayah saya yang buat catatan harian, kira-kira apa yang bakal dia tulis tentang anak-anaknya?

Jurnal yang keren!
H Hardy
Mar 05, 2017 H Hardy rated it it was amazing
It is similar to the journal in the tv show. There is some back story in some of the entries. I will say that some of the entries ramble a bit.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Supernatural: John Winchester's Journal by Alex Irvine - Starting July 21, 2015 17 11 Jul 24, 2015 10:52PM
Great Book 2 3 Jan 07, 2015 03:53PM