Why Do Catholics Do That?

Why Do Catholics Do That?

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Kevin Orlin Johnson, Ph.D. In Why Do Catholics Do That?,renowned scholar and religion columnist Kevin Orlin Johnson answers the most frequently asked questions on Catholic faith, worship, culture, and customs, including: How the Church Makes Laws The Hard-Fought Genesis of the New Testament The Cycle of Redemption A Short Guide to the Meaning and Structure of the Mass Deco...more
Published October 10th 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Why Do Catholics Do That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do Catholics Do That?

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchConfessions by Augustine of HippoOrthodoxy by G.K. ChestertonThe Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisMere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Books that explain the Catholic faith
8th out of 137 books — 32 voters
Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVIDark Night of the Soul by Juan de la Cruz
Roman Catholic Reading
41st out of 283 books — 141 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
This book was originally titled "Expressions of the Catholic Faith" which doesn't sound nearly as enticing. However, the original name was much more suitable to the book. This isn't some cutesy book explaining Catholic traditions for non-Catholics. This was written by a hard-core Catholic for other Catholics, and he doesn't stop to explain most of the terms he uses. I'm still not sure exactly what "liturgy" means, and that word was like, on every single page of the book.

Also he stops and lets yo...more
Fredrick Danysh
The author looks at the faith, customs, and traditions of the Catholic Church. His work is somewhat dated as indicated by his discussion of the rosary where he does not mention the luminous mysteries. The book discusses the rites of the church as well as explaining the significance of the priest's vestments. There is a brief history of the development of Catholicism and its Protestant offshoots. Mention is made of the religious officials of the Church. I thought that it was a decent introduction...more
Rachel Swords
A must-read for those interested in the Catholic Church as it explains many basic Catholic concepts and traditions, such as the structure of a typical mass and the Stations of the Cross.
Kevin Hartley
When I read this book, it was mostly as a joke. I had decided to read it because I thought the title was humorous. However, I read it seriously, not half-heartedly. This is one of two books (the other being Greg Tobin's "The Wisdom of St. Patrick") that helped to begin and solidify my thought processes toward converting to Catholicism. The author really pulls you in and forces you to look at not just what the Church does, but why it does those things and whether or not that is what we all should...more
April
It's Concise, uplifting, informative, and worthwhile. The book is directed to members of the Catholic Church, but it still managed to captivate me (I'm a Mormon) throughout 99% of it. Tradition is the overriding theme of the work. It was a highly entertaining summary of Catholicism's long history. The author makes a good case for why we all should appreciate that history. I was impressed. It covers a wide range of topics from church building specifications to the church's position on miracles an...more
Kate Ditzler
Jamie
Jan 07, 2014 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want to understand their Catholic friends and family (and their own faith)
For all you Catholics (and non-Catholics) who wonder what the different symbols, numbers, Saints, and other "Catholic Culture" things really mean: GET THIS BOOK!

Seriously - I am a life-long Catholic (and a well-read and educated one, particularly about my faith), and I still learned many things from reading this book (e.g., the origin of Nativity sets/creches, the significance of the 153 fish pulled in at the end of the Gospel of John, different Saints I'd never heard of before).

I just recently...more
Alisa
I have attended Catholic Masses since I was little and even went to Catholic Schools yet I am not Catholic. I decided to convert and when I started going to the classes at the local Catholic Church they gave me this book to read and said that it would halp explain Catholicism and What it meant to be a Catholic. I was in college and very eager to understand.. but, it wasnt meant to be I guess, at least not at that time.. because scheduling conflicts and mandatory events.. I was unable to continue...more
Theodora
What I liked: I adored the stuff about Catholic art and the Virgin's robe, the discussion of Catholic ritual washing, relics, and sacramentals, the care the person took to describe rituals and traditions.

What I didn't like: The idea that the Catholic Church is today just as Jesus would have envisioned it, including condemnation of queers and not ordinating women and all. And of course the whole Catholicism is the only way thing that runs through here.

Ugh. You might as well call this what I like...more
Monica
This book was given to my husband and I by our parish priest. Even though I've been a catholic my entire life, I have learned quite a bit about the traditions and "culture" of the church - why we do what we do. There is an amazing 2000 year history to Catholic culture, and NOTHING (not even the tiniest thing, so far as I can tell) is done without a reason behind it! From the colors of the vestments to the shape of the churches - it's all in here and explained in easy terms.
Chad
This book teaches you things about the Catholic Church that you don't learn in CCD. After reading this book, I now have a better understanding of the ritual of Mass, the history of the Church, and the difference between Tradition and Scripture. It has changed the way that I look at the Bible. I'd recommend this book to Catholics who want to know more about their religion and anyone who is interested in the history of religions.
Marcia
This book attempts to explain basic Catholic doctrine and practice. The author cites the Bible as the foundation for Catholic beliefs, and custom explains many of the practices. The tone is conversational and easy to understand. The author includes many quotes from many sources. The book also has a list of books for the reader to continue individual interest and a handy index.
Kevin
I was raised Catholic and now, after years away from the Church, I've gone back. Reading this book broke down some of the history of why the Catholic Church does things the way it does, and I was especially intrigued by the chapters on the meaning behind the structure of the mass and the fundamental differences between Catholic and Protestant teachings. A quick read as well.
heardtheowl
Although it was written with the impression that the reader would *be* Catholic and know about the mass and other general info, I found this book to be packed with awesome and interesting facts. I really appreciated the author's citations and the history of 'why' made this a really great book for learning more about Catholic Tradition.
Jackson
If you have already made up your mind that Catholics do everything because they are so much better and smarter than everyone else, this is the book for you! There are some great historical facts, a potload of opinion, and an imprimatur, of course. Now I feel uncharitable. Recommended for some.
Nancy
Nov 11, 2009 Nancy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Lorie
It didn't really answer the questions for me like I had hoped it would. The author gets to wrapped up in examples that the point of the answer to his questions is lost. I am to much of a get to the point person. I just want the answers and I didn't care about all of the examples.
James
Ever wondered why catholics use incense? Or what's with those crazy hats? This is for you. Written in a easy-going manner, and in small chapters. Makes a great religious companion to Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.
Ryan
This is an insightful resource for many of the teachings and practices of the Catholic Church. The explanations are well-written, and are designed for Catholics and non-Catholics alike.
Tori
I don't know if I can justify the 5 stars on the writing alone, but it is getting 5 stars because this book has had such a big impact on my life. I look forward to rereading it again.
Jelani Mcewen
Great introduction to the Catholic faith, but lacked the doctrinal depth I was looking for, although I loved the little anecdotes and facts.
Interesting read, for one unfamiliar with the Catholic Church. This was a toe in the water, next I shall dive into the Catechism.
Daisy

Really fascinating history of the Church and a good introduction to further reading.
Mark Sr
This book answers a lot of questions for Catholics and non-Catholics alike.
Johanna
So far I have learned to appreciate more my Catholic faith.
pjr8888
a birthday gift from Lisa C Eng-Beeman, 1997
Kerrie Chabot
I'm still trying to understand.
Melissa Henderson
Great concise review of what Catholics believe and why. A step up from "Do Adam and Even have Belly Buttons?". This book will be a useful reference for refreshing / answering questions in the future. The later chapters on the origins of the Rosery and info to Apparations and the Mysterious Medal were a special treat! There's so much history behind my faith and its devotions, I never fully appreciated them until now.
Kristen
Some chapters are easier to digest than others (based upon my personal understanding) but it explains the practices of the Catholic Church pretty clearly.
Edie
Learned some useful facts, but towards the end of the book, not so much...
Drew Cottle
Drew Cottle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Theology for Beginners
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • Life of Christ
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Holy Bible: The New American Bible for Catholics: With Revised New Testament and Revised Book of Psalms
  • A Concise History of the Catholic Church
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
Rosary:  Mysteries, Meditations, and the Telling of the Beads Apparitions:  Mystic Phenomena and What They Mean Twenty Questions About Medjugorje : What Rome Really Said Apparitions: The Earthly Visits of Heavenly Beings and What They Mean What's a Cult?

“Remember, the Church doesn't teach something because its in the Bible, its in the Bible because the Church has always taught it.” 3 likes