Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam

Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  45 reviews
More than twenty-five years after the official end of the Vietnam War, Dear Americaallows us to witness the war firsthand through the eyes of the men and women who served in Vietnam. In this collection of more than 200 letters, they share their first impressions of the rigors of life in the bush, their longing for home and family, their emotions over the conduct of the war...more
Published May 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1985)

jeremy
this collection is incomparably moving and utterly compelling. it was adapted for the stage when i was in high school, and on opening night we had a large number of vietnam veterans in the audience. following the performance, we met privately with them, and we all sat stunned as grown men wept hysterically on account of the memories it brought back for them, as many of the veterans were the same age we were at the time of the performance when they first saw combat overseas. it was in that moment...more
Becky
This book is not for the faint hearted, but what could paint a more accurate picture of war than the letters of soldiers. They range from hopeful and beautiful to heart rending. You’ll find yourself smiling at the tenacity of the human spirit, and alternately crying at the futility of it all sometimes. The letters are fair in their representation of the men (and occasional woman) that served our nation, and fair in representation of the Vietnam. There are letters from soldiers writing about the...more
Kim
Mar 08, 2008 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: war
Started reading this book on my summer vacation and couldn't put it down. I was sitting in this beautiful beach house, crying my eyes out at times because of the stories these letters told. A great book to read if you want to hear some of the real stories from the war.
Nick Plutchak
Read this, do it now.
Nick
This is definitely a more interesting take on the vietnam war than a straight history book.

The interesting thing about this book is that after each letter it tells you the fate of the soldier who wrote it. So sometimes theres a letter of the "USA USA, I killed 20 gook commies yesterday and I'm damn proud of it. I'm reenlisting" variety which is followed up by a " ______ Is now president of an investment banking firm in New York". And sometimes there is a "Dammnit why did I have to get drafted? T...more
Much has been made of the Vietnam War being the first shown to the American public on television and in relatively uncensored photographs, so maybe it's that narrative that prompts this feeling, but: as touching and painful as these letters are, they simply aren't as powerful alone as the HBO special (same name) for which the letters, read by actors, provide the only narrative over film and pictures of the war and the boys (the children) who fought it. I will finish reading this, and I will cont...more
Matt
I thought the book was very good. It was different, but good. The book was basically just a collection of letters from hundreds of soldiers during the vietnam war. What i really liked about it was that some of the letters were from the same people, so you could kind of follow the solider’s and really get get a good perspective of what it was like over there. The letters where divided up into different chapters in the book based on what the soldier was doing at the time, for example, there would...more
Julie
This book is a compilation of letters (and some poems) written by Americans in Vietnam during the war. Each letter is followed by a brief description of when the person served and either what they were doing at the time of publication, or how old they were when they were killed. It was sad to read comments about these guy's future plans only to find out that they never made it that far. However I found it very interesting to read about the varying thoughts that went through these young men's (an...more
Carol
The book is exactly what the title says -- actual letters home written by the men -- boys, really -- who served on the front lines of Vietnam. After each letter there is biographical information about the writer, including his fate.

The letters are so honest and compelling, and so wrenching that I can hardly wait to get to the end to see the author's fate. And there's the double-edged sword -- it's heartening to read that he came home, heartbreaking to read that he was killed in combat.

Collecti...more
Brent
Very sad yet amazing book, its very sad to see these letters written home to families, friends, wives. and to find out that that same person was killed in action only a few days later. in this book you can really understand what those people actually felt about what they were doing.
Valerie Sherman
Really fascinating to read, and obviously very sad and poignant. I especially liked the chapter that studied the soldiers' attitudes from the beginning of the war to the end.
Al
I love to just walk around in book stores and look for treasures. I found this book in Half Price Books, and I knew I had hit gold.
I was just a little bit younger than the guys that served in Vietnam. However, I have worked with, and known, too many of them to count. This book gave an insight into their world that I had never been privileged with until now. I respect and appreciate these wonderful Americans of my generation.
RYCJ
This is one of the very few books where I've both read the book and watched the movie. Both were equally powerful. One of the most difficult things to do is to stand in another man's shoes. That's what reading this book felt like. Men sharing parts of what serving in Vietnam was like through letters written home; many of them letters they never expected to be published. Another part of history that has touched me for a very long time.
brook
Apr 14, 2007 brook rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in war correspondence
This is a really bare-bones book. At the beginning of each chapter is a description of the letters contained therein (last letters home, "cherries", etc), and a little bit of melodrama. But after that, it's just letters home, with very helpful footnotes as to who each soldier was, what became of them, and where they are "now" (the book was published a while ago) if they survived the war. Very straightforward, and very, very moving.
Tamara
The only reason that I did not give this book five stars is that it has been heavily edited. The editor stated as much in the beginning of the text. So I imagine that a less censored compilation would have produced a more representative picture. but the caution is understandable since this book was published in conjunction with the opening of a new Vietnam memorial.
David Ward
Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam by Bernard Edelman, Editor (W.W. Norton & Co. 2002)(959.70438). More than 200 letters home from Vietnam era servicemen to family, friends, and others have been selected for publication in this volume about the most intimate thoughts of the soldiers who served in Vietnam. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
Cassidy
This book takes a long hard look at wartime and how if affects the soldiers living it. Each chapter filled with letters that have a specific theme, be prepared to cry, cringe, and cheer your way through it. It made me more grateful for the sacrifices made by not only the soldiers during war, but their families as well.
Brit McCarthy
Absolutely no words can describe exactly how this book made me feel. Not having much knowledge on the Vietnam war, this book really opened my eyes and my heart - it really made me feel something, just reading these simple letters home. I'm very, very glad I read this book.
Amanda
Mar 26, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mel
I read this in the 6th grade when I was obsessed with the Vietnam war. Reading the letters sent home will tear your heart out. It gives an individual and human voice to those who are often thought of as a collective, rather than real people who lead real lives.
Sam
This book is incredibly powerful. It is a compilation of correspondence sent home from soldiers serving in Vietnam. To read their thoughts, desires, concerns, passions, etc. with the understanding of the circumstances underwhich they wrote them is very impressive.
Brad
This book is compiled of letters written by American soldiers fighting in Vietnam. It shows what American soldliers'lives were like during Vietnam, and how they coped with what they were going through by writing letters home to friends and family.
Sheila
There is something about the Vietnam war that speaks to me. I don't know why, since I was born during the war and should really not be affected by it. But I feel a need to know about this war, and these letters home from the war are heartbreaking.
Doug
I saw the movie years ago and immediately went and got the book. This is one that broke my heart - I could imagine the voices of so many young men, lost and broken in not just vietnam, but in the grasp of war. This made it real for me.
Lexi
I have to give this book only three stars, because it's so sad and so honest and actually pretty interesting. I feel privileged to be able to sit in my warm bed with the AC on and to read this book full of letters from soldiers in Vietnam.
Mary
This book is a collection of letters that were written home from soliders during the Vietnam War. This book does a really good job of showing what the troops were feeling while in the Vietnam. It is very sad but a must read.
Joe Kramer
Nov 27, 2007 Joe Kramer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students
Read this book as a Senior in high school and its stuck with me for a long time...its crazy to read a book like this at 18 and grasp the fact that these were letters written by guys your same age just 30 years earlier.
Susie
It's been awhile since I've read it, but I recall that it was a collection of real letters from soldiers fighting in Vietnam. It was moving to see how ordinary people had to deal with the horrors of war...
David
Dec 28, 2008 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hippies
Recommended to David by: Madelyn Pryor (yes, that's her real name)
This was intense and touching. I always found it better to get accounts of war from the men who were actually in them. It's much better than having to filter out the political agendas of the media.
Amy
Provacative book that reveals the humanity, horror, redemption, and a cry for peace within a war that is often kept locked inside the minds and imaginations of those who served. Highly recommended.
Denise
If you are interested in learning more about the Vietnam War this is a great book, it gives you the soldier's point of view. But be warned some of the letters are very emotional.
Goodreads Librari...: Page number for Vietnam book 2 14 Jun 17, 2014 10:45AM
  • Home Before Morning
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • Everything We Had: An Oral History of the Vietnam War
  • The Vietnam Reader: The Definitive Collection of Fiction and Nonfiction on the War
  • We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam
  • Covered Wagon Women: Diaries and Letters from the Western Trails, 1840-1849 (Covered Wagon Women, #1)
  • War Letters: Extraordinary Correspondence from American Wars
  • Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There
  • They Marched Into Sunlight: War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967
  • And a Hard Rain Fell
  • Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides
  • The Cat From Hue: A Vietnam War Story
  • The Tunnels of Cu Chi
  • Five Years To Freedom
  • A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam
  • The Father of All Things: A Marine, His Son, and the Legacy of Vietnam
  • The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War
Centenarians: The Story of the Twentieth Century by the Americans Who Lived It Ownership of the Image: Elements for a Marxist Theory of Law Micah Lexier, 37: Musee D'Art Contemporain de Montreal, Du 17 Juin Au 20 Septembre 1998 propriété littéraire et artistique Maison de Kant