Start by marking “Very Crazy, G.I.!: Strange but True Stories of the Vietnam War” as Want to Read:
Very Crazy, G.I.!: Strange but True Stories of the Vietnam War

Very Crazy, G.I.!: Strange but True Stories of the Vietnam War

AMERICAN BOYS AT WAR IN VIETNAM--AND INVOLVED IN INCIDENTS YOU WON'T FIND IN THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES

In this compelling, highly unusual collection of amazing but true stories, U.S. soldiers reveal fantastic, almost unbelievable events that occurred in places ranging from the deadly Central Highlands to the Cong-infested Mekong Delta.

"Finders Keepers" became the sacred byword
Published January 30th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Very Crazy, G.I.!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Very Crazy, G.I.!

Bryan Worra
Jul 24, 2007 Bryan Worra rated it really liked it
Every now and then it's nice to take a break from detail-heavy, analytical responses to the Vietnam War and the tumultuous 60s and 70s and read a book like this.

It doesn't concern itself with the politics but rather the experiences, especially the often strange moments for which there is typically no place in 'serious' studies and reflections on the war.

These are often a grunts' take on life during wartime, and I've found several of the pieces far more illuminating and interesting to read than t
Fishface
I had a good time with this one. The stories are wildly different from each other, but all are the kind of funny-little-corners-of-real-life that I like so much. Some of them are a scream. I personally recommend that you save "I Killed Ho Chi Ming" for last. It's priceless.
Anthony Dolce
Sep 13, 2016 Anthony Dolce rated it really liked it
Very short but, an interesting read about mostly snipers in the Vietnam War.
Derek
Sep 14, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it
Crazy stories, of a war that made little sense to most.
Allen
Jan 11, 2010 Allen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: History buffs. Fans of the strange.
Recommended to Allen by: Found at a book store.
Had much higher hopes for this one. Most of the stories were OK, but I'm sure there were many, many more, crazy stories during that conflict. A few of them didn't even really lead anywhere. But getting the soldiers to tell the stories would probably be the hardest part and the writer here that gathered them did his best I'm sure. There are a few winners here, the wild tiger hunt, the back from the dead soldier, and a few others. A very quick read.
Karib
Nov 25, 2011 Karib rated it really liked it
I found it easier to think of this book as being a collection of short stories that all happen to involve Vietnam rather than a short story book about it. Overall, I rather liked most of the stories, although some of them were too short or too vague for me.
Sharon
Sep 19, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Enjoyable reading, not terribly deep, but some of the experiences were laughable, some were creepy, some were just sad. I enjoyed the author's sense of humor throughout.
Ruth
Jan 26, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
c2001. Quick and easy read with some entertaining stories. Great for travelling where you did not have to focus too much.
Nathan
Aug 23, 2014 Nathan rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, history, war
Too many descriptions of Seattle pizza and microbrews, not enough fragging or face-melting.
Eric
Mar 21, 2008 Eric rated it it was ok

The writing is mediocre, and I'd heard some of the stories before.
Keith Slade
May 06, 2016 Keith Slade rated it liked it
OK Vietnam War stories.
Abibliofob
Abibliofob rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Austin Bunton
Austin Bunton is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
Cori
Cori rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Charles Weaver
Charles Weaver rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
mark
mark is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2016
Steve
Steve is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Laura added it
Jun 07, 2016
Ross Vincent
Ross Vincent marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Linda Collier
Linda Collier rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Joseph Baker
Joseph Baker rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Nikolas Swihart
Nikolas Swihart rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
David Johnson
David Johnson rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2016
Bertus
Bertus rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Timothy Wade
Timothy Wade marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016