Start by marking “Mister X Archives (Archive Editions (Graphic Novels))” as Want to Read:
Mister X Archives (Archive Editions (Graphic Novels))

Mister X Archives (Archive Editions (Mr. X)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When Mister X hit the shelves twenty-five years ago, no one had ever seen anything like it - a fusion of film noir, Art Deco, and German Expressionism channeled through the talents of the greatest up-and-coming artists of the day. The story of a utopian city with architecture that drove its inhabitants mad and the never-sleeping architect who quested tirelessly for a cure, ...more
Library Binding, 384 pages
Published November 18th 2008 by Dark Horse (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mister X Archives (Archive Editions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister X Archives (Archive Editions

Eric
Vaguely intriguing plot, but more mystery for mystery's sake. I picked this up because of the focus on cities and city design. The architectural elements are ubiquitous throughout, but they become more superficial as the narrative goes on. Ultimately, the story doesn't really hold up. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable to read and the Archive Edition includes a lot of fantastic art and additional commentary that provides a lot of insight into Motter's vision.
Damon
Mr. X was one of my first comics obsessions, in the 80s. I remember trying (and eventually succeeding) to track all of these issues down, along with the later Vortex series. The series had a big impact on me - it was one of the first comics I read that put a lot of effort into overall design and thematic tone, and it also was using a sort of noir/art deco/retro future style that was really appealing. The story was a bit baffling at the time, and after re-reading it in this (really very excellent ...more
Andrew
Mister X tells the story of a mysterious character, bald, wearing dark glasses and a trench coat, haunting the streets and secret passageways of Radiant City. The city, a futuristic metropolis in the vein of, well, Fritz Lang’s Metropolis and other 30s and 40s vintage visions of the future, somehow seems to be driving its citizens mad. Mister X claims it is his job to fix things.

But why him? Who is Mister X? This becomes one of the central mysteries of the book, and while the question seems to
Torben Henning, sf magazin
"Das Ding des Bekloppten"
Dean Motter nennt es in seinem "Mister X" Psychotektur, und die Stadt Radiant City. Architekt Le Corbusier wollte einfach nur Bedürfnisse in den Mittelpunkt stellen, mit seiner Cité radieuse.
>>> Besprechung ...
Dominick
This collects this mid-eighties Canadian comic in its full initial run (with redone final issue and some bonus pieces). It's visually innovative (very deco/expressionist) and features early work by alternative greats such as The Hernandez brothers and Seth, but the story is literally incomprehensible. Nice to look at, interesting idea (Radiant city was designed according to the principles of psychetecture, so it affects the mental well-being of its inhabitants, and since things have gone askew, ...more
Mike
A brilliant beginning but I was completely lost during the last 1/4 of the collection.
Meghan Wilson
ok...i havent really read the whole thing yet cause I have somehow lost issue 4, and I cant go on until I find it, but wow, this is a definitive work of early comics let me tell you. And the artists involved...i was shocked, I had no idea frankly...Seth, the hernandez brothers, Dave McKean, Bill Sienkiewicz...all highly respected artist just getting their start. I really have to find that #4 too because they just brought Mister X back for a 4 part series that I have purchased but cant read yet!
Joe
Like the Watchmen, this is one of those books that people deem important to the history of comics, and like the Watchmen, it's perhaps hard in hindsight to see how new and different it really was at the time. It's easy and fun to see how this influenced movies like Dark City, but I thought it lacked the focus of a truly great work of art fiction. After a while, it felt a little too much like those movies that have some Plot Twist every 15 minutes: a little desperate.
Julian
As I read this, even before I read this but read the forward by Warren Ellis I realised that this work was a major inspiration for Transmetropolitan and Spider Jerusalem.
This was an interesting work that suffers slightly at the end, as the author Dean Motter himself says, because contributors bailed. Motter saved the thread of the work and finished it satisfactorily, IMO. I enjoyed it and would read Condemned.
Smoothw
A nice package overall, and some very good artwork from the Hernandez starts out the series, but overall the story is kind of boring/underwritten for such a cool premise, and the early artwork from Seth is nothing to write home about. I checked this out from the library and struggled to finish, there are many better examples out there of 80's creator owned genre comics
Doc
Dec 09, 2013 Doc added it
Not as good as I remembered it. I still enjoyed the Hernandez Bros and Seth's work but the story never came together in a cohesive manner.
j_ay
Quirky 80s stuff, but sadly the series starts to slide downhill fast after the first 8 (or so) issues...
Amber
Amber added it
Aug 17, 2014
Kat
Kat added it
Jul 02, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Aaron Ingram
Aaron Ingram marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Leaveit Tome
Leaveit Tome marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
61972
Dean Motter is an illustrator, designer and writer who worked for many years in Toronto, Canada, New York City, and Atlanta. Motter is best known as the creator and designer of Mister X, one of the most influential "new-wave" comics of the 1980s.

Dean then took up the Creative Services Art Director's post at Time Warner/DC Comics, where he oversaw the corporate and licensing designs of America’s mo
More about Dean Motter...
Batman: Nine Lives Terminal City The Prisoner: Shattered Visage Mister X: The Definitive Collection, Vol. 1 The Return of Mr. X