Start by marking “Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)” as Want to Read:
Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)

Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma #8)

In the year 666 C.E., Sister Fidelma embarks on a pilgrimage to reflect upon her commitment to the church and her relationship with the Saxon monk Eadulf. Seabound to the Shrine of St. James, she encounters her first love Cian, who abandoned her ten years earlier. But before she can sort out her feelings-she must discern if a murderer has also set sail with her...
Published June 3rd 2003 by Signet (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Act of Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act of Mercy

Malcolm
Aug 25, 2013 Malcolm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Sister Fidelma’s 8th outing takes us into a world of jealousy, murder, revenge as well as ecclesiastical doubt in the staple of the murder mystery – the confined cast in a confined space. Unlike Christie, this is not a country house in the home counties but a 7th century pilgrimage from Ardmore to Santiago de Compostella, via navigational adventures in the Scilly Islands and Ushant. As well as the murder, there are pirates and treacherous seas; this has all the marks of a good adventure.

As with
Tracy
Apr 17, 2016 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
One of the better ones of this series I've read for a while. I was close to quitting, tired of the on-again-off-again of Fidelma's feelings for Eadulf, especially given the crappy things she regularly says about him and the somewhat lame character the author had made him into in the last book or two. And i didn't really enjoy the character of Fidelma herself anymore. She was just so self satisfied and above everyone else. This book was a refreshing change. It was a nice view inside the ...more
Susan
Aug 16, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
I love Sister Fidelma novels but I really missed Brother Eadulf in this story. While Sister Fidelma is on a pilgrimage and trying to sort out her life; does she want remain a religieux or just a dalaigh, does she have deeper feeling for Brother Eadulf or is it platonic, when she runs in to her long-ago lover who spurned her. With multiple murders and very suspicious fellow pilgrims she sifts through the clues and (as always) solves the murder mystery. The story was good and takes place mostly ...more
Simon Mcleish
Oct 06, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it it was ok
Originally published on my blog here in January 2001.

The seventh Sister Fidelma mystery is to be the last, as far as I am concerned. I had hoped that with the setting moved away from Ireland the novel would be an improvement on the previous couple in the series, which had got into something of a rut. It is better, but not sufficiently so for me to continue with the series.

Fidelma sets sail for Santiago on a pilgrimage to the shrine of St James. This was not the massively important place it would
Laura Edwards
Oct 30, 2014 Laura Edwards rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. We get a chance to delve into Sister Fidelma's past and really see what makes her tick. I also liked the setting aboard ship. Different. I think this book gives the reader the most in depth look at Sister Fidelma's character thus far. I love her even more! My only complaint. I guessed the culprit and her reasons from the get go. But, as I said, the broadening window onto Fidelma's character overrode any other deficiencies.

Oh, I do have one other complaint, not just wit
Denise
Oct 25, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
I'm reading my way through all of the books in the Sister Fidelma series. I love historical fiction because this is how history should be both learned and experienced by readers. Instead of dry facts and dates books like these help to show what life was like for those peoples of the past and how specific forces impacted their lives. We can never know exactly what they experienced but we are pulled into their world, their time.

Suggestion to potential readers...read these books in order beginning
Carmen
Jun 27, 2010 Carmen rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this editon of Peter Treymayne's book. Sister Fidelma is all alone in this mystery, her friend and confidant is not with her. She takes a ship voyage to go to Spain and travel the Santiago Way. But all kinds of things happen on the ship. It begins when she discovers that her first serious relationship is on the ship. She then has to deal with religious personnel who don't act like they are in the cloistered life with all the sex and violence that goes on. Four people are all ...more
BoekenTrol
Apr 26, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: saskiasosmile?
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: mafarrimond
I was given this book by mafarrimond throug BookCrossing. It has taken me some time to get to it, but I finally did.

Much to my regret I have to admit, that I din't like this book as much as I thought I would. As a matter of fact, I didn't really get into it, past the Historical Note.
For now I give up, this book will continue its journey to another reader.

But, I hate to give up, to quit without finishing, so I think I'll try and get the first book in the series, to start from the beginning and
Ana Elena Romero
Esta nueva entrega de las aventuras de Sor Fidelma se desarrolla en el interior de un navío en alta mar.
Sorprende Tremayne por el dominio de los conceptos y elementos de la navegación antigua, además de por el desarrollo de una trama, nada predecible, en un entorno tan reducido y poco dado a grandes sorpresas.
Los personajes de esta novela expresan unos perfiles muy definidos y bien incardinados en la trama que se desarrolla.
Lo cierto es que ha sido una grata sorpresa encontrarme con esta novela
Argum
Sister Fidelma has undertaken a pilgrimage alone to contemplate her life with Eadulf and with the religious life. Aboard ship she meets her former lover Cian, an oft mentioned previous young love, it is not a pleasant reunion. When a sister goes overboard and a bloody robe is found in her cabin, Fidelma starts investigating. Lots of dirty secrets and harbored ill well are uncovered. Fidelma has to root out the evil that haunts the ship.
Sunsy
Mar 08, 2013 Sunsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: taschenb-cher
Ein historischer Kriminalroman um Schwester Fidelma, die Nonne und Anwältin bei Gericht. Dies ist das 8. Buch der Reihe und auch wieder genauestens recherchiert.

Meine Rezension dazu könnt ihr in meinem Blog lesen.
Marg
Mar 02, 2010 Marg rated it liked it
An interesting Sister Fidelma mystery in that she is aboard a ship with an old flame and must solve murders while on board. It was a bit of a departure to have her working to find the murderer without her friend and colleague Brother Eadulf. I continue to enjoy these and will read the entire series - assuming I can locate all of the titles!
Kristen
Dec 06, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
So all the books do have an ongoing background story but it is not necessary to read them in order and Tremayne always summarizes plot points established in earlier books but for the first time this one ended with a cliffhanger!!!!
Really?!?!? In book 8?
Now I am going to have to read them in order so I don't ruin the anticipation.
Marisa
Sep 22, 2009 Marisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part this was a fast paced book. There were a couple parts that I had to force myself through, but not enough to make me want to stop reading it. I had an idea of who the killer was, but because of the sequence of events thought I was wrong only to find out I was right after all. I really like the character of Sister Fidelma.
Carolyn Jones
Mar 07, 2014 Carolyn Jones rated it liked it
I have become fascinated with this series of mysteries. The revelation that Ireland's ancient Brehon system of law recognized women as equals in society has been enough to have me search for these books.
Feodora
May 16, 2015 Feodora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, crime, read-2015
An interesting story, again. It was nice to hear something of the life of Fidelma before she became a dalaigh to the Brehon Court of Ireland. We learn something about a love affair!!!
A bit like "Murder on the Orient Express" as all happens on a boat and all passengers could be the murder....
Sarah Pavelko
good quick read like most mystery novels. interesting story line and very interesting to learn about Ireland in medieval times compared to how I would imagine it was. storyline/plot a bit simplistic but most mystery series are.
Michele bookloverforever
Sister Fidelma goes on a pilgrimage aboard a ship. There is a murder. Is it her former and first lover who broke her heart many years ago? sort of. she finds the motive and the murderer after a nasty storm and an attack by saxcn pirates.
Patricia
Jul 14, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book in the series and because I did not see the "culprit" from the beginning of the book, I am giving this four stars. I love all the historical stuff, all the legal stuff, and the stories.
Ann Hein
Apr 25, 2016 Ann Hein rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Celtic series taking place in the 7th century, written by a scholar. Interesting view of religion in Ireland at the time when the Roman church was coming in with some different religious ideas. The place.role of women in Ireland was better at that time than now!
Fred
Mar 15, 2009 Fred rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
More Irish who-dunnit starring Sister Fidelma. If you like that genre, you'll enjoy this series and learn a wee bit about Celtic history.
Cheryl
May 26, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I didn't find this one as interesting as previous. It ended with an interesting twist though so I'm looking forward to the next one.
Aude Dufresne
Sep 09, 2016 Aude Dufresne rated it really liked it
The series is really nice as a trip in the past and the interaction between celtic, catholic and protestant..which will emerge later.
Caroline
Jun 22, 2012 Caroline rated it liked it
This was good - I think I would have enjoyed it more if I started at the beginning of this series and got all the references to previous adventures - so I'm off to start the first in the series now.
Mebhe
Aug 03, 2011 Mebhe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super ! Très instructif sur l'époque (Irlande du VIIe s). Et le meilleur de la série que j'ai lu jusqu'à présent. Une très bonne intrigue rondement menée.
Willa Grant
Apr 20, 2010 Willa Grant rated it really liked it
I rarely like "historical novels" but I really like this one- the author knows his history- a really enjoyable read. I am going to start at the beginning & read the whole series!
Susan Jo Grassi
Sep 06, 2011 Susan Jo Grassi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love historical "who done its" and find Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma to be the perfect female protagonist.
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Kas Veerkamp
Kas Veerkamp rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2015
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #14)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. As Peter Tremayne, he ...more
More about Peter Tremayne...

Sister Fidelma (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1)
  • Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • Hemlock at Vespers (Sister Fidelma, #9)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • Smoke in the Wind (Sister Fidelma, #11)