Start by marking “Thursday's Children” as Want to Read:
Thursday's Children

Thursday's Children

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A novel telling the story of Doone Penny and his fight to use his gift of dancing against mounting opposition.
Published April 1st 1987 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Thursday's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thursday's Children

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. ChestertonTuesdays with Morrie by Mitch AlbomOne of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper FfordeMonday Mourning by Kathy ReichsFriday's Child by Georgette Heyer
Days of the Week in the Title
25th out of 95 books — 33 voters
Bunheads by Sophie FlackDancing on My Grave by Gelsey KirklandBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildThe Cranes Dance by Meg HowreyLife in Motion by Misty Copeland
Best Ballet Books Ever!
12th out of 57 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Sherwood Smith
Jul 29, 2012 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: fiction
Books about ballet I read whenever I find them, and this one, I simply inhaled. I don't know why I didn't come across this one years ago--but then Rumer Godden has not always been a easy find in this country; by the time I was cruising the library shelves, a lot of her books had gone the way of the library discard and weren't replaced.

The upside is the delight when I do discover them, and this book I read cover to cover in spite of a headache. I shouldn't have been reading at all, but I couldn't
Barb
Knitme23
Rumer Godden is a good story teller from my childhood and frequent trips to the Alvin Bolster Ricker Memorial LIbrary and Community House in Poland, Maine, where any book about a place that wasn't Poland, Maine was exciting. Her writing is just that: plain old good story telling. She's sort of Anne Tyler with less bitter in the sweet, Rosamund Pilcher in 150 fewer pages, Mary Stewart without the heavy romance, Angela Thirkell without the uppercrust. I like her, but I'd almost completely forgotte ...more
Evin Carvill-ziemer
One of my all time favorite books. I'm a sucker for a story that really digs into the experience of the misunderstood child.
Ann
Still magical after 5 times.
Thannasset
Really fine coming-of-age novel, story of family life, examination of child-parent and sibling relationships, valuable look at the education and growth of gifted children..and all that makes it sound terribly worthy and dull. Not so! Very good story, and this author never over-writes. May be her best book.

Often has her work categorized as 'children's' or 'young adult' because she often writes about children. Does this make sense to anyone out there?
Rachel Neumeier
If you'd like a story that revolves around ballet, you'll love this. If you think you'd hate a story that revolves around ballet, you're (probably) mistaken: like all great stories, this one is actually about life and family and finding your place in the world and what it means to be successful. And, yes, it also involves ballet.

It's a beautiful story and well worth the effort it takes to track it down.
Judith
Vikki
The copyright date on this book is 1984. This is the first Rumer Godden book that I read. I absolutely loved it. I got so caught up in the art world of ballet and piano. This is the story of Doone and his sister Crystal. Doone is full of talent and "went far". (Thursdays child has far to go.) This was a really good book.
Amanda
An engaging read that made me want to dance again. I enjoyed the character development and the fact that the 'villains' don't remain villains. It was touching and didn't read like a kid's book.
Anne
I read this book years ago, before I even started ballet. The title stayed with me to this day, so I think that tells you something about the impact it had.
Cindy
A fine story of the fierce desire for ballet by a young boy. Love of dance and music with hard work and sacrifice; learning how to be yourself.
Sally
Unexpectedly charming! I loved this book, although I actually didn't care much for Billy Elliott which obviously tells a similar story.
Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2006 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ballet Book Lovers
Great story of a young male who wants to be a ballet dancer at White Lodge, the school in England. For Ballet lovers only.
Sara
Godden explores the strength and vulnerability of children, but best of all, true passion for dance.
Rosemary
Very nearly as good as "She shall have music". Good ballet story which I believe predates Billy Elliot. :)
Karen
I enjoy Rumer Godden's book so much. Thursday's Children reminds me of her other book Pippa Passes.
Wangui
Loved it, loved it, loved it!

Doone simply endears you to himself with his childlike innocence!
Anissa Boukra
one of my most favorite books of my childhood
Rose
Thursday's Children by Rumer Godden (1992)
Regina
Very original story.
Palomablue
Palomablue marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Judio
Judio marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Indra Vaughn
Indra Vaughn is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
  • Drina Dances in Switzerland (Drina, #9)
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • Far to Go
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • Gay Lambert at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #20)
  • Margot Fonteyn: A Life
She was born in Sussex, England, but grew up in India, in Narayanganj. Many of her 60 books are set in India. Black Narcissus was made into a famous movie with Deborah Kerr in 1947.

Godden wrote novels, poetry, plays, biographies, and books for children.

For more information, see the official website: Rumer Godden
More about Rumer Godden...
The Story of Holly and Ivy In This House of Brede The Dolls' House The Greengage Summer Miss Happiness and Miss Flower