Start by marking “A Murder Hatched (Meg Langslow, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
A Murder Hatched (Meg Langslow, #1-2)

A Murder Hatched (Meg Langslow, #1-2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Catch the first two books in Donna Andrews's award-winning laugh-out-loud Meg Lanslow series: this ebook bundle contains Murder with Peacocks and Murder with Puffins.

From ducks to penguins to peacocks to parrots, Donna Andrews knows her birds! And she's channeled all her skill and winning humor into one of the most accomplished, entertaining cozy series around. It all bega
Published September 30th 2008 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Murder Hatched, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Murder Hatched

Robert
Mar 05, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MURDER WITH PEACOCKS

MURDER WITH PEACOCKS probably had about two too many weddings for me. Sure, this novel was entertaining, and it’d be hard not to be with a cast of zany characters and enough murder and mayhem to bring down an entire forest. But it felt like Ms. Andrews tried a bit too hard. I certainly applaud her for her effort, but there was enough craziness for two or three novels compacted in a little over 300 pages.

And the weddings. I understand that women have the entire ceremony planne
Meg
Aug 06, 2012 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Meet Meg Langslow, a blacksmith by trade... reluctant sleuth by circumstances. "A Murder Hatched" is a bundle of the first two Meg Langslow books - Murder with Peacocks and Murder with Puffins.

In Murder with Peacocks, Meg has gone back to her hometown of Yorktown, Virginia to be the Maid-Of-Honor in three back to back summer weddings. Relying on her notebook-that-tells-her-when-to-breathe, Meg takes the summer off from her business to plan and manage every detail for each wedding. The three brid
Emily
Oct 17, 2010 Emily rated it did not like it
I don't think i can finish it. I was told that it would be as entertaining as Janet Evanovich but it's not. I think the author finds herself amusing but I can't believe anyone could enjoy the chaos that ensues in this book. It's so predictable except for who did it because the writing is so bad that they all seem guilty but it's obviously not the protagonist, her family, or the gay guy who's not really gay (yeah i picked up on right as he was introduced). I can't explain well why I dislike it so ...more
Bufo Calvin
Jun 29, 2014 Bufo Calvin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
My policy is to always finish a book I start. I know some people don't want to "waste time with a bad book" when "there are so many good books to read", but I don't feel that way about it. I've never read a book which I didn't find valuable in some way, and one book, which I wasn't enjoying very much, had a great last line. :)

Without that "rule", though, I honestly think I would have abandoned this book part way through.

It's not that it's a terrible book: the sentences all make sense, the charac
Lisa
Oct 29, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it
It didn't take me long to figure out that this was not the book for me. It was recommended to me by a friend, and fellow English teacher, as being hysterical. I found it irritating and juvenile. I can see why someone might find this the perfect light reading, but just way off the mark for my tastes.
Pamela Mclaren
This author is certainly witty about using the theme of birds in her mysteries and I'll have to say she probably knows quite a bit about fowl.

In this book are the two first books in her cozy mystery series featuring Meg Langslow, an ironworks artist. In the first, she is planning not one but three weddings: her mother's, her best friend's and her brother's wedding. And its like a bit of Luci Arnez -- the brides keep changing their minds about their themes or adding new details, while Meg gets he
Kathy
Aug 14, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
ss... werewolf potion... sister fulfills brother's wish, but turns exboyfriend professor into a dog...

1st story – Murder with Peacocks…

Meg… blacksmith / iron artist… has a ‘notebook-that-tells-me-when-to-breathe” to record all of her ‘to dos’… returning to home, Yorktown, Virginia (a town with a history, and with family ties that go way back)… because she is Maid of Honor in 3 weddings (her best friend’s, her brother’s, and her mother’s) – and the prime go-to gal

Meg’s mother, “… Mother’s tendenc
Diane
Jul 12, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Erring on the side of generosity…actually more of a 3.5 than 4 but still enjoyable. Clearly I am an latecomer to the Meg Langslow series but am enjoying catching up. What interested me most, however, was not the story or characters. This time what caught my attention from the vantage point of 2015 was the use of the digital camera. I checked the copyright and the Puffin story was copyrighted in 2000. Technology has moved so fast--it seems like we have always had digital cameras! (and this from t ...more
Laura Rodd
Jul 11, 2012 Laura Rodd rated it really liked it
How much fun can a writer create with a truly crazy family (immediate and extended into the hundreds by "distance cousins"), an eccentric old money setting, Peafowl, Puffins and renegade murders?

Andrew is a genius at portraying her heroine, Meg Langslow, as the voice of reason amongst the cacophony of aviary and human voices. A faithful daughter she seemingly lacks the savoir faire and insouciance of her mother, father and brother who simply sit back and drink either champagne or tall ice teas
Jody
Jul 10, 2014 Jody rated it liked it
I would recommend this book as a fun, light summertime read. Since it is actually the first two books in the series, you get a sense of where this series will go. I hope the later books develop the characters more. The wide variety of characters introduced so far certainly gives the author much to work with. I just didn't feel invested in any particular character by the end of the second book.
Pernette
Jul 05, 2014 Pernette rated it liked it
I enjoy Donna Andrews' books. This was a combination of two books and it seems to be the beginning of Meg Langslow investigative career. I have read more recent ones that I enjoyed more. The first book in this combination was Murder with Peacocks and I enjoyed it most. If you have never read Donna Andrews do not judge her by this 2 in 1 book.
SusanC
Sep 30, 2012 SusanC rated it liked it
Having read the 14th Meg Langslow book I wanted to go back to the begining to see where the romance between Meg and Michael started. The library only had A Murder Hatched which is a compendium of Murder with Peacocks and Murder with Puffins.

OK I've read both books before - Murder with Peacocks was just as funny as before but Murder with Puffins was a little disappointing. I could feel the frustration building between Meg and Michael as they find themselves in a cabin full of relatives but I star
Liz
Jul 22, 2014 Liz rated it liked it
Fairly solid mysteries but the characters are a little too 'wacky' (JAZZ HANDS) for me. And the main character is such a sap - she whines and moans about all the responsibility dumped on her by other characters, but does nothing to stand up for herself. I was waiting for a scene where she exploded and put folks in their place but it never came.
Sarah Adamson
Jul 04, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, mystery
Two of the most funny and intriguing cozy mystery books. Love Donna Andrews!! This is the combination of the first two books in her Meg Langslow series - my favourite is number 1!
Linda Cole
Jun 06, 2014 Linda Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny

laughed out loud in many spots interesting characters a enjoyable who did it with humour and interesting plots with a good ending
Laura Heagy
Aug 06, 2014 Laura Heagy rated it really liked it
Another good read from Donna Andrews. I'm loving the Meg Langslow series. Ms. Andrews continues to use the great characters she created to delight and titillate her audience.
Marya
Oct 13, 2014 Marya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - the first book a four-star book, the second a three-star book.
Jacqui Talbot
A great Summer read, even in Winter. Funny and well written, it was a pleasurable read if not a stupendous one. This would be a perfect book to take with you on vacation. It's not exactly a page turner, but more something you can put down and pick back up easily. I liked it and will probably read it again.
Sio
Jul 30, 2012 Sio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very amusing read that reminded me of the early Stephanie Plum novels. I had a chuckle though when reading the second of the two books when everyone was oohing and ahhing over someone having a digital camera. Obviously these weren't written terribly recently. :)
A Cayouette
Jun 03, 2014 A Cayouette rated it really liked it
Entertaining story from the beginning to the end. Cast is full of crazy characters and Meg and Michael do quite a bit of sleuthing. In the first part Meg organizes three weddings in all its minute details and you are quite happy when the ordeal is all over.
Jacquelyn
Sep 05, 2010 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing
She is a brilliant writer that can turn something of a more serious nature into something that you can laugh at.
Patricia
Oct 22, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
Two books in one cover. Pleasant, diversionary cozy mystery. OK.
Chris Ross
Jun 15, 2012 Chris Ross rated it liked it
Cute, but not as good as the first in this series.
Pat
Meg Lanslow
Mikki
Mikki rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Rebecca Pressley
Rebecca Pressley is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Blodget
Blodget rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Betty Farnsworth
Betty Farnsworth rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)
  • Deadly Farce
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Reach for the Spy (Never Say Spy, #3)
  • The Drop Edge of Yonder (Alafair Tucker, #3)
  • The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #5)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • The Man Who Would Be F. Scott Fitzgerald (Stewart Hoag, #3)
  • King, King, Goose?
  • City of Fiends (Knights Templar, #31)
  • Three to Get Lei'd (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #3)
  • Retribution (Dragonlands #3)
  • Loco Motive (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #25)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
Donna Andrews was born in Yorktown, Virginia, the setting of Murder with Peacocks and Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos, and now lives and works in Reston, Virginia. When not writing fiction, Andrews is a self-confessed nerd, rarely found away from her computer, unless she's messing in the garden

More about Donna Andrews...