Start by marking “Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #23)” as Want to Read:
Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #23)

Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot #23)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  23,407 ratings  ·  610 reviews
The beautiful bronzed body of Arlena Stuart lay facedown on the beach. But strangely, there was no sun and she was not sunbathing... she had been strangled.

Ever since Arlena's arrival the air had been thick with sexual tension. Each of the guests had a motive to kill her. But Hercule Poirot suspects that this apparent 'crime of passion' conceals something much more evil.
Published 2001 by Harper (first published June 1st 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Evil Under the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Under the Sun

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnimal Farm by George Orwell
UK 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime: Readers' Picks
407th out of 1,042 books — 369 voters
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryPersuasion by Jane AustenPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Headless Women
425th out of 450 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are at a posh seaside resort and you are in love with a hot-bodied bitch, and even worse, she is not your wife. You are surrounded by the idle rich and the grasping poor. Matters do not improve once an insufferable little Frenchman, or some such European, insists on butting into your affairs. You already have to deal with your clingy wife, the gorgeous woman you are obsessed with, rumors of murder, the hot hot sun and the illusions that can arise in that heat... and
Jason Koivu
Does a body turn up every time you go to the beach? Do your fellow oceanside resort residents murder one another on a regular basis whenever you vacation on the coast? Then you might be a detective in an Agatha Christie novel.

Evil Under the Sun finds our favorite little Belgian sleuth amongst Summer holidayers, a small sampling of flirtatious women, jealous wives, inattentive husbands and an angsty teen. There are hints of smuggling, drugs and black magic. Will you discover what's going on befor
David Sarkies
Mar 11, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love murder mysteries
Recommended to David by: My Mum
Shelves: mystery
Poirot's vacation is interrupted with a murder
11 March 2015

Well, after reading And Then There Were None I was wondering whether I was going to be able to read another Agatha Christie book – well it seems that I have. Okay, I selected five from my Mum's bookshelf, namely the five that I knew about, just to get a good sampling of her work. Unfortunately of the five that I grabbed, four of them happened to be Hercule Poirot mysteries (and none of the Ms Marple – which I'm going to have to rectify
Susan
This classic Poirot novel started life as a short story, “Triangle at Rhodes,” which was published in 1936. Four years later, in 1940, the plot had been re-worked into this excellent novel – one of the best featuring Poirot in my opinion. The beginning of this novel sees Poirot on holiday at The Jolly Roger Hotel, Smuggler’s Island. It is a wonderful location for a mystery; an enclosed community at the seaside. Of course, seaside holidays had been popular in the 1920’s and, with foreign travel o ...more
Barry Pierce
Perhaps not one of the most riveting of Poirot's cases nonetheless Evil under the Sun is another classic addition to Agatha Christie's flawless bibliography. However the solution to the case may take a lot of convincing to be feasible. I read Christie for escapism and enjoyment and it delivered on both.
Luann
Excellent! I love it that Agatha Christie can still surprise me, even with a book I've already read. Although in my defense it has been years and years since I first read it. It seemed the details I remembered to be suspicious of only led me in the wrong direction! :) Dame Christie truly is a master of misdirection!

This is Lost related because it is one of the novels that Sawyer reads on the Island. He is seen reading it when he is approached by Nikki in "Exposé." The edition I've added to my li
Anastasia
C'è il pacco completo anche questa volta, come poterne dubitare?

Scenario invitante come lo era in Assassinio sull'Orient-Express e Dieci piccoli indiani (campioni casuali), abbiamo l'hotel Jolly Roger, un bel mare, una spiaggetta dove Poirot abbronza la sua "protuberanza proprio in mezzo al corpo" (che non è quella che potreste pensare), arcipelaghi di isolette tutte intorno e un sacco di gente in costume che vaga amenamente per la storia. Tra l'altro leggere proprio questo libro a Luglio nell'
Izzy
Agatha Christie was almost ruined for me once by the opinion of an ex. He claimed her detective fiction was worthless due to shoddy construction: clues strewn about left and right, with an eventual grand reveal strung together from seemingly haphazard information. The reader doesn't have a fighting chance of solving the puzzle; it's simply not set up that way. He felt cheated.

I understood -- the books can seem more like a vehicle with which Poirot or Miss Marple can display their formidable sle
Mistery
Por mais policiais que leia, nunca nenhum irá superar as obras de Agatha Christie! Apresento-vos mais um intrigante e genial caso do nosso detetive belga preferido - Hercule Poirot - num cenário maravilhoso e com personagens que, à primeira vista, nos parecem incapazes de cometer assassínio: Mr. e Mrs. Gardener, Emily Brewster, os Redfern's, major Barry e muitas outras. Mas, como em todas (ou na maioria) as obras de Agatha Christie, o assassínio dá-nos sempre essa impressão, impressionando-nos ...more
Tatiana
Evil Under the Sun is my favorite type of a Christie mystery. It is set on an island where a popular seaside resort Jolly Roger is located. At the crux of the mystery is Arlena Stuart Marshall, a red-headed femme fatale/actress/home-wrecker. All men at the resort want her (except her husband), all women hate her. So, of course, when one sunny morning Arlena is found strangled, suspects are in abundance. But don't worry, Hercule Poirot is on the scene and will untangle the mystery. Will the guy e ...more
Ana T.
I really, really love Agatha Christie's stories and on my vacation I read quite a few. Evil Under The Sun was one of them. It is a Poirot mystery and it has a limited number of characters. They, the characters, come together at a seaside resort. With his particular interest in the human character, Poirot analises each personality and it's really interesting to see them through his eyes.

One person that stands out is Arlena Stuart, an actress who seems to captivate every male around with the exce
Stven
Mar 04, 2009 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poirot fans
A thoroughly entertaining Poirot mystery, this one will always be associated in my mind with its big-budget movie adaptation and the excellent Peter Ustinov as our favorite Belgian detective. The novel, in which the setting and denouement are crafted rather more sensibly, stands up well in comparison with the movie and deserves your scrutiny.
Cheryl
Hercule Poirot, insurance investigator, Belgian wonder-sleuth, and proper gentleman visits the Jolly Roger, a resort on the southern coast of England in EVIL UNDER THE SUN. Imagine Poirot partaking of the pebble beach in swim attire. With his ample girth, there's much to cover up, as it is for the murderer who strangles Arlena Marshall, a waning movie star who attracts the attention of both sexes in very different ways.

Who could have wanted Ms. Marshall dead? Could it be her newlywed husband, wh
Carol
Já tinha bastantes saudades do fantástico Poirot e das suas infalíveis celulazinhas cinzentas, que, uma vez mais, não desiludem na resolução deste intrigante mistério.
O detetive encontrava-se, tal como eu, de férias na praia, numa ilha, local bastante calmo e tranquilo, nada propício a um assassinato, mas a verdade é que a bela atriz Arlena Marshall é encontrada estrangulada pelo amante Patrick e por Emily, ambos hóspedes do Hotel onde Poirot desfrutava as suas férias.
Arlena estava na ilha acomp
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog: http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Poirot e as suas celulazinhas cinzentas voltam a atacar neste livro. Mais uma vez Christie elabora um crime aparentemente insolúvel mas nada constitui um desafio para este grande detetive.

Neste livro surge uma coletânea de personagens variadas e intrigantes. Arlena, uma atriz bela e sedutora, que atrai invariavelmente qualquer homem com que se cruza, chega à costa de Devon com o seu marido Kenneth e a sua enteada Linda Marshall, de 16 ano
Clint
I don't know why I keep reading this Agatha Christie books, even the really good ones take away time I ought to be spending on other stuff, like sleep. This one wasn't so good, the murder happens pretty early on, and then nothing happens after that except talking, talking, talking. Haha, and I bet feminists really hate the last couple of lines, where the badass self-made business woman gives up everything reluctantly to appease the man she loves. Why did I read this again?
Rade
Had it collecting dust in my house and decided to read it. It went on pretty fast and by the end I was not that impressed. It seems to be all about posh people who go on vacation and end up being part of a murder investigation. Of course, Poirot is also there vacationing with them and he abandons everything in order to solve another mystery. After murder happens there is a lot of talk, a lot of speculation, Poirot not telling others anything, and Poirot telling everyone everything he thinks went ...more
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Zut alors! Can't Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot have a Devon holiday without getting embroiled in a murder? Stars John Moffat.
Laura Verret
There is evil in the air – Poirot he knows it. Even at this exclusive resort, this set apart island, there is evil. He knows there will be a murder done. He even knows who the victim will be – the beautiful Arlena Marshall. But who will kill her? The jealous husband? The unhappy step-daughter? The wife of the man to fall under her charms? Anything is possible, for evil is everywhere.

Discussion.

Christie is a marvel. Here, as in Triangle at Rhodes, she takes a worn out, cliché scenario – the love
Spuddie
This review applies to the audio version.

One of the Hercule Poirot mysteries, read by David Suchet, who plays the detective in the TV series. Poirot is on holiday, at the English seaside in August. No one quite believes he's not there working on something, though. And of course when the body of beautiful former actress Arlena Stewart Marshall turns up on a deserted cove, many suspects--including her husband and her lover--come to the fore as Poirot helps the local police with their 1nquiries. Bu
Kristen
Rating: 5.5/10
Once again, this is a part of Agatha Christie's Poirot series. In this book, Hercule Poirot is vacationing on an island. And one morning, one of the guests, a beautiful actress, is found murdered.

I was surprisingly really disappointed in this book. I typically spend the entirety of a Poirot book just sitting and pointing the finger at everyone. I get really invested in trying to figure out who did it. But in this, I found myself just not caring. Sure, I had suspicions and hunches,
Chuck
What can I say? An elegant European vacation island island, an eclectic group of wanabees, an Agatha Christie mystery written at her prime [1941] with Hercule Poirot as the sleuth of detective work. The only weakness to this murder mystery is that the solution is so convuluted and difficult to understand that it would have been easier just to shoot the victim. In any case, as with most Christie efforts, very English and clever to a fault.
Baelor
An excellent addition to the Hercule Poirot canon, marred only by the unrealistic precision required in the solution. My mystery preferences are absolute: I adhere to the "fair game" rules closely, and I do not like begin yanked around in directions that require information that I, the reader, do not possess. Evil Under the Sun is a closed-circle mystery that involves a sufficiently isolated venue, a diverse cast of characters with intersecting backstories, and a nice balance between physical an ...more
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
Sep 06, 2011 Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fiction, crime thriller,murder mystery- lovers
A very gripping story. Had all the elements required for a crime thriller. Personally felt a little disappointed at the end. Was not satisfied with the explanation of how the mystery was solved.
Kathleen Dixon
My son gave me one of those Agatha Christie Crime Collection books (with 3 novels in it) that he'd picked up somewhere. It's AGES since I read any by this so talented author, and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the other two.

Christie sets up the murder so well - we get everybody's stories and the reasons why each one of them might be the killer. Then she plays us along so we don't have an idea who it was until Poirot comes out with it. Well, some readers will undoubtedly figure it out, but I read
Milly599
3-4 stars

Not as good as the other books I have read by her. The ending was too expectable.
Beverley Jones
As a crime writer (and avid fan of detective fiction) I'm embarrassed to say I've managed to go a great many years without ever actually reading anything by the grand dame of crime. Yes, I've always had a slightly snotty preconception about the 'cosy', stuffy nature of Christie's stories and their suspected contrivance (albeit, she founded most of the 'cliches' of the genre we know today).

So I cant tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to read this little gem on holiday in Devon (only a few m
Valerie
Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K. She was the youngest of three children. She wrote romance novels under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott and was occasionally published under the name Agatha Christie Mallowan but it is for writing Crime Mysteries as Agatha Christie that she is best known.

This story is a traditional crime story solved by one of the author's most famous creations, Hercule Poirot. (Play the game "Name 10 famous Belgians and I'll give you good odds t
Alexander Arsov
Agatha Christie

Evil Under the Sun

Harper, Paperback, [2001].

12mo. 320 pp. Agatha Christie Signature Edition.

First published, 1941.
Agatha Christie Signature Edition, 2009.

============================================

I am among the spoiled ones who came to this book through the 1982 movie starring Peter Ustinov as the legendary Belgian sleuth. So I got curious to read something by the Queen of Crime and see if she is really that good on paper. Well, yes and no, but definitely more "yes" than "no".
Aaron
Agatha Christie is thus far the only female author which I read, and indeed the only other woman besides my wife that I return to again and again for pleasure. Within Christie's writings—such as within "Evil Under the Sun"—we find such unique pleasantries of minutiae as the description of the quality of a man's briar pipe; of the tired old stories of a retired officer—Major Barry—who fought in India; of the dual nature of men; of waxed mustaches...

I first saw, a while back, the Poirot made-for-T
Agatha Christie L...: October 2013 - Evil Under the Sun 18 83 Oct 17, 2013 12:02PM
  • Bad Twin
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor
  • The Stone Leopard
  • A Wreath for Rivera (Roderick Alleyn, #15)
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #12)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • After All These Years
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • Agatha Christie
  • Lancelot
  • Caravan of Dreams

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“To count - really and truly to count - a woman must have goodness or brains.” 27 likes
“That is what I mean. A bath! The receptacle of porcelain, one turns the taps and fills it, one gets in, one gets out and ghoosh - ghoosh - ghoosh, the water goes down the waste pipe!"
"M. Poirot are you quite mad?"
"No, I am extremely sane.”
8 likes