Start by marking “Queer 13: Lesbian And Gay Writers Recall Seventh Grade” as Want to Read:
Queer 13: Lesbian And Gay Writers Recall Seventh Grade

Queer 13: Lesbian And Gay Writers Recall Seventh Grade

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Forward by Dale Peck

Seventh grade: You remember it, don't you? Sweet sixteen seemed impossibly far away, an elegant, unattainable future. All that we had was the doldrums of thirteen -- not so sweet, and definitely queer.

Now, some of the finest observers of the gay experience take us back to the homerooms and hallways of our youth, in a collection of original essays that c

Published August 18th 1999 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Queer 13, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queer 13

Ami
Oct 12, 2010 Ami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Queer 13 is a collection of short stories by queer writers about being 13 (or, more generally, in junior high). There are a couple of good stories about queer adults who reach out (in nonsexual ways) to the younger, narrating generation and help them become aware of ways that it is possible to be a queer adult, that it gets better. There also seemed to be an interesting stereotype-defying trend of complicated relationships between the young gay males narrators and their mothers.

I did notice thr
Brian
I picked this book up at a local thrift shop, very excited by the premise. I didn't love the collection but was fascinated by it. There were several memoirs written by authors who would be my parents' age; they made me wonder how strange school must have been with drills for nuclear attack. I thought about the question of what draws you to other kids when you're 13 - could this person be your protector, could this person be your co-conspirator, could this person be your creative partner? I marve ...more
Ryan
Truly a great collection of reminiscences (including one nearly direct transcription of an author's 7th grade journal, with annotations) from a variety of authors of different ages and varying backgrounds. These writings captured my imagination, kept my turning pages. I am most certain I would be able to re-read this collection again and glean yet more from each contribution. The only downside: I wish there were more stories in the collection.
Joanna
Some of these essays were really quite beautiful, but others were really quite boring. Overall, the collection does a nice job of focusing on the confluence of emerging sexual identity, bodily awareness, and peer pressure that comes with being thirteen. Perhaps because I'm a younger generation than the authors in this book, many of the essays failed to resonate with me as much as I'd expected they would. Still, an interesting collection.
Steve Guerriero
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I found the stories to have a common language, but not the one I expected. Much of it felt dated (understandably as most of the memoirs take place n the 1960s) and all of the stories seemed to be stream of consciousness musings rather than developed stories. There were truths to be taken away, but as I was reading I found myself painfully aware of what page I was on...
Duane
I agree with most of the reviewers on this book. A lot of the memoirs are very powerful and beautifully written, but some are extremely boring and seem lost in this book. The ones that are pointed and powerful are very well done and remind me of my time in the jungle that was Middle School. Told with realism and honesty, it's a nice recollection of a tough time for those that never really fit in back then.
I liked seeing what each author did with the topic, even though I wasn't always that in love with the results. Most of the stories are mood pieces, which is not my favorite type of story.
Patricia
Some of the stories were less interesting, but overall I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't have paid for it if it hadn't been for class, though
Heather Moss
I liked it. Some of the essays were really quite beautiful. Others were kind of boring, but I just didn't finish those few.
Bekki Mills
Feb 05, 2008 Bekki Mills rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone open-minded, freshly out of the closet
Great book. Many stories I could identify, others were just so wonderful. And the occasional, okay, next.
Kathy
One of the better written/edited queer anthologies I have read in a long while. Great read.
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
E. R
E. R marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
vmboda
vmboda marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
家榕 張
家榕 張 marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Alex Ash
Alex Ash marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Jami Sailor
Jami Sailor marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Winkie The Tooth Fairy: Parents, Lovers, and Other Wayward Deities (A Memoir) The Hurry-Up Song: A Memoir of Losing My Brother Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology Men on Men 5: Best New Gay Fiction