Start by marking “Caliber: First Canon of Justice” as Want to Read:
Caliber: First Canon of Justice

Caliber: First Canon of Justice

The Arthurian legend as retold in the American Northwest, with all of its great symbolism, magic, and spirit of adventure! The legend begins with the Indian shaman, Whitefeather, when he discovers a tattooed six-gun imbued with supernatural power. This mystic has seen both the signs of the apocalypse and a vision of the one who can prevent it. His search for the lawgiver ...more
Published December 16th 2008 by Radical Pub (first published December 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Caliber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caliber

Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it liked it
I saw this book and had to get it. I mean a graphic novel retelling the tale of Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table but as a Gun-slinging western? How can you miss? This was a very good graphic novel.

What this book is about it pretty straightforward. Arthur is a Gun-slinging cowboy, Merlin an Indian shaman, and the bad guys a group of corrupt sheriffs and outlaws.

The real hightlight of this graphic novel is the artwork; this is just a beautiful book. The quality of artwork you see on the c
Robert Jones
Caliber is a retelling of King Arthur and the knights of the round table, set during the Wild West. Instead of a Welsh wizard, it's a Nez Perce shaman. Instead of a magic sword that only King Arthur Pendragon can wield, it's a magic gun that only Sheriff Arthur Pendergon can shoot. Sam Sarkar really wanted to make this as authentic as possible, and this is obvious in the telling of the story. Unfortunately, little else is. The pacing is awkward, the plot is confusing, and characters are hard to ...more
Dannielle
Feb 02, 2016 Dannielle rated it liked it
I love Arthurian legends. As a fan of Merlin, I'm no sranger to reincarnations or AUs, so the idea of a Old West Arthur really intrigued me. Personally, I find that period of our history appalling and I will be forever ashamed over the treatment of the native peoples. Arthur is able to brighten up a dark stain upon that time period. He is able to uphold the ultimate Law, not the so called justice and law White Men created.

I really loved the idea that not only would Caliber only work for Arthur,
Charles
Jan 14, 2013 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird-west
This retelling of the King Arthur story as told in the American Old West is a so-so story - there are times when each panel gives an image but it is jumping from scene to scene and other times when they spend too many pages on a plot line - even though it is supposed to be different telling the names are the same for some and completely different for others - Arthur Pendragon has the same name but Merlin has a strange Native name - understandable, but they kind of throw the fable into your face ...more
Jessica
Dec 01, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Appeal Characteristics: Art, Old West, Arthurian Legend, magic, adventure, Shamans

Anyway, there is a myth about this "special" gun that the day someone picks it up and shoots with it...they will aim and never miss, and something else. Anyway, the visuals were great, but I couldn't connect to any of the characters. I just think since i'm not an Old West fan, no matter how you spin it...I have not interest in sticking with it. It was an interesting premise and it is a short "mini-series," and I ha
Austin Adkins
Nov 28, 2013 Austin Adkins rated it it was ok
A bold take on the Arthurian legend. Loving westerns I had to pick this up. The best part of this book is the art, every page just looks so good. But some of the characters looked a like, so at times it was a little tough to tell them apart. And some panels, where there is a lot of action, are difficult to follow at times. The story is just ok, pretty straight forward, some clever connections with the old Arthur tale to a western genre. But nothing stands out from the story really, a good effort ...more
Michelle
Feb 15, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Issue 1

By far the best part of this book is the artwork. Muted colours give the impression of an old school western painting. The only niggle in the artwork was that it was hard to distinguish some of the characters as they looked a lot alike but overall a good job.

The story seemed pretty straightforward but lacked the impact i was expecting, id only read Issue 1 but I could tell where the plot was leading without the other issues.

Overall Caliber is an interesting take on the Arthurian legend b
Boots
i really wanted to like this retelling of the Arthurian legend set in the 19th century on the pacific coast. beautiful artwork and an interesting concept, but some of the design elements were too silly and the sequential storytelling was occasionally very awkward (couldn't really follow what was happening now and then). also the actual book construction was amazingly shoddy ~ it fell apart halfway through reading. geesh.
Justin
Apr 12, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well done comic. I read this from ComiXology and didn't realize it was a Western. It blends in King Arthur with the Old West and it actually works well. Caliber is a powerful gun not a sword. The storyline is solid with soldiers against indians and the artwork is remarkable and very well done. I am interested in checking out the full issue as it caught me surprise and I didn't think I'd enjoy it so much.
Lesli
I have been hitting up the graphic novels lately (Sept/Oct 2012). I'm choosing titles at random that happen to be available on Overdrive. It is hit or miss. This is a hit. I'd rather read it in paper format rather than ebook, though. The art is gorgeous. Not that I know anything about graphic novel art. The story is sort of hokey; but interesting.
Arthurianmaiden
Apr 22, 2014 Arthurianmaiden rated it it was ok
Shelves: arthurian-comics
Beautiful art and an interesting twist on arthurian legends but it felt like the author didn't know where he wanted to go, like he left it incomplete and many characters (most of them) were just introduced. I always found the art confusing and it didn't help me distinguish the different characters one from the others.
Missy
Oct 29, 2011 Missy rated it it was ok
As other reviewers have said, the art here is gorgeous, and I will seek out other comics with art by Gastonny. The story, though, is a not-terribly-interesting retelling of the Arthur legend that doesn't live up to the promise of the illustrations. It just falls flat.
Kerry
May 08, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
The story was okay, but the art is like eye-candy! It's what kept me going and it's the art that earned the 3 stars over the story. If you like westerns you might enjoy this one. I'm not sure I like the story of Arthur as a western law-man. Doesn't quite work.
Trevor
Feb 11, 2009 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
This Western-themed Arthurian tale is simply stunning. The rich visuals alone make this book worth picking up. What a treat!
Jan 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok

It's got a great concept - the King Arthur legend reset as a Western in the Northwest Territory. But the execution is choppy, and it isn't an entertaining read in the end.

Tricia
Tricia rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
BrokenMnemonic
BrokenMnemonic rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2010
Andy Wisely
Andy Wisely rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2011
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Carlene
Carlene rated it it was ok
May 24, 2015
Ryan Young
Ryan Young rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Helle M.
Helle M. rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
May 20, 2014
Christopher Ware
Christopher Ware rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Vincent McCrink
Vincent McCrink rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2010