Start by marking “Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House” as Want to Read:
Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House

Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  545 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
An intimate photographic tour of Edward Gorey's strange and wonderful house.
Published April 28th 2004 by Pomegranate Communications (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Elephant House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephant House

Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Cider House Rules by John IrvingA Prayer for Owen Meany by John IrvingThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
New England Books
180th out of 449 books — 232 voters
Domino by Deborah NeedlemanWilliam Morris & Red House by Jan MarshFrench Interiors of the Eighteenth Century by John WhiteheadClassic Decorative Details by Henrietta Spencer-ChurchillOld English Mansions by Charles Holme
Best Traditional Interior Design
23rd out of 56 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara Eddy
Aug 28, 2011 Sara Eddy rated it really liked it
I had the chance a couple of weeks ago to go through Edward Gorey's house on Cape Cod. It was in many ways a disappointing experience, though there were many interesting things to look at. Disappointing, because the house had been cleaned up and turned into a museum of displays focusing on different parts of Gorey's oeuvre. The museum shop had this coffee-table book of photos of Gorey's house before it was scoured--and now I'm even more sad that they didn't leave his house as it was. It's clear ...more
Banzai
Dec 02, 2007 Banzai rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gorey-ites and old souls
Shelves: art-books, favorites
This is a picture book containing photographs of Edward Gorey's home in the state he left it before death. It's fascinating- FASCINATING the way this man assembled objects and how clearly he incorporated them into his work. It's an utter wreck, complete with a couch sacrificed to his feline muses and piles of papers and books; the sort of house that would make my mother turn on her heels and scream out the door faster than a burning banshee.

One day I'll have one just like it.

The text and photogr
Cody
Jul 19, 2007 Cody rated it liked it
A unique insight into the life of Edward Gorey, via his quirky house, which fit him to a "t."
Robert
May 28, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: edward-gorey
An interesting look into the home of Edward Gorey. There is an appropriate sense or macabre due to Mr. Gorey having died only a week prior to the photo tour. Fans of this very private artist will be interested to see how and where he lived. Unfortunately, Mr. McDermotts' photographic skills are evidently amateurish. Most of the pictures are fuzzy, dark and out of focus. Consequently, the book is somewhat a disappointment, but nonetheless a fascinating record of the late artists' residence.
Sep 26, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
If you're an Edward Gorey fan, you'll love this book. With a forward by John Updike, it's pictures of his house as he left it. Since Gorey was such a private person, these are rooms that weren't seen by many people during his lifetime. The book is beautifully photographed, and there is a short into to each room, explaining its purpose and some of the items inside. There is also an introduction giving some background on how the author and Gorey knew each other.

This book is clearly a labor of love
Lexi
Oct 13, 2014 Lexi rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, almost haunting photos serve as a memento of Gorey's life. The accompanying text captures the way and spirit of Gorey. Well-done.
Nell
May 19, 2014 Nell rated it liked it
Gorey's home reflects his eccentricity. Read in anticipation of taking in an exhibit about Gorey soon.
David Gray
Jun 22, 2011 David Gray rated it really liked it
This book provides a look at and inside Ted Gorey's eclectic house on Martha's Vineyard. Gorey's gothic oddity is well captured in the photos, though my only criticism is that there are times it seems that rather than "showing the house" they are working very hard to recreate the oddity within the book itself. Maybe that is just my personal quibble, as overall, I quite enjoyed the book.
jen
Dec 12, 2015 jen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Edward Gorey fans, discriminating packrats.
Shelves: artbooks
I received this as a Christmas gift from someone who'd heard that I liked the work of Edward Gorey. It's a book of images taken of Gorey's home, called the Elephant House, by a close friend and photographer, about a week after the artist died. Gorey was a packrat, a collector of odd things, full of whimsy, a lover of cats. The photos capture a bit of that.
Eling
Mar 16, 2012 Eling rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This provided some neat (albeit limited) insight into the private life of Edward Gorey. I enjoyed seeing the types of collections he had in his home, and the photography + anecdotes of the author are enjoyable. Love seeing where the artist lived & worked, although I'm pretty sure he would be deemed a hoarder by many today...
Jamie Felton
Apr 18, 2008 Jamie Felton rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Anyone who loves Edward Gorey should flip through this book. There's something revealing about the way Gorey lived. It is indicative of the kind of person he was, shadowy, mysterious, surprising. There are piles of trinkets and items he found laying around that somehow seem magical just because of the way he has placed them.
Leigh
Mar 07, 2012 Leigh rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Edward Gorey, I enjoyed this wonderful peak inside of his home. The book includes wonderful black and white photographs of his collections, rooms and cats interspersed with quotes and artwork from his books, as well as text by author and friend of Gorey, Kevin McDermott.
Jill Warren
Aug 14, 2013 Jill Warren rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
My daughter, Paige and I are huge Edward Gorey fans so this was a natural for us. This man is a genius! His creativity is something I share with my University students who are investing in a life of being a teacher who reads voraciously! Thank you Kevin McDermont!
Logospilgrim
Dec 22, 2009 Logospilgrim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, biographies
This book is positively enchanting. What a joy it was to explore Edward Gorey's wonderful, whimsical, serene house! This is a book I turn to again and again; it gives me peace to gaze at the beautiful photographs contained therein.
Michelle
Aug 07, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and illuminating look into the semi-secret life of Edward Gorey. This book is overflowing with gorgeous photos of the little fragments that made up one extraordinary man. Truly a must-have for any Gorey-phile.
Yvette
Jul 02, 2009 Yvette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-artist
This photo-journal offers the perfect opportunity to not only step into Gorey's house, but to take a stroll through each of his rooms. Gorey's rooms are not just rooms, but living libraries. A fantastic book!
Jude
Jan 04, 2010 Jude rated it it was amazing
permission to make a home an installation, a performance, a visual haven for the heart & imagination.

& of course, Gorey! in a way - like in a dream - no surprises: we knew it would be magic of some kind.
Evie
Aug 09, 2011 Evie added it
I wish more of the pics were in color, and more detail was shown. Nothing of the outside of the house except the cover, but an enjoyable moment in time...
Amanda
Feb 10, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
magical
Gene Kannenberg Jr
An exquisite gem of a book, beautifully photographed and peppered with anecdotes and factoids of a life artfully lived.
Gloria
Dec 09, 2011 Gloria rated it liked it
What quirky, strange collections of things he had about his house. Exactly what I would have imagined.
David
Jun 21, 2007 David rated it liked it
a neat little peak into edward gorey's house. the stacks of books made me realize, again, why i enjoy him.
Jessi
Jul 26, 2007 Jessi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of edward gorey and/or black and white photography
Shelves: nonfiction, art
Catch a glimpse into Edward Gorey's home as he left it when he died. Very interesting and attractive book.
Ellee
Mar 14, 2014 Ellee rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed seeing his groupings of objects and the author's stories about Gorey himself. :)
Vivienne Strauss
Dec 25, 2012 Vivienne Strauss rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful yet sad book. I wish Edward could have lived forever.
Diane
Mar 09, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
The picture of his salt shakers is one of my favorites!
Lara
Jun 27, 2007 Lara rated it really liked it
Even in death Edward Gorey perplexed and delighted.
jennifer
Dec 06, 2011 jennifer marked it as to-read
given to jason, winter 2010
Marc Belanger
Marc Belanger marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016