Start by marking “A Gathering of Lace” as Want to Read:
A Gathering of Lace

A Gathering of Lace

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  527 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Collected from knitting designers all over the world, the patterns in this guide will be a joy to create for any knitter. The lavish full-color illustrations and easy-to-follow instruction charts will make these traditional patterns an exciting addition to a lace knitter's repertoire. From beginner to advanced, the 34 projects contained include designs for sweaters, vests, ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Xrx Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Gathering of Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gathering of Lace

Mauri
Jun 16, 2007 Mauri rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
An excellent resource...for intermediate to experienced lace knitters. The beginner patterns are few and far-between and, in my opinion, boring. However, I have the feeling that they are intended to be like most other beginnings, there just to give you a sense of how things go and to get experience.

And to judge from the intermediate-experienced-adventurous patterns, it would be well worth your time. They are all complex and beautiful, but I doubt they would look very nice unless one had a good a
Anna
Jan 21, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I thought this book was OK, but I didn't love it. There weren't a lot of items I would make for myself and the garments looked really old fashioned. The accessories were better. It has intermediate to difficult items. I didn't find the stitch description images helpful, not detailed enough. If you haven't knitted lace before you'd have to watch some YouTube videos first. I got this fro the library and wouldn't buy it.
Josiphine
Good but not great; a number of patterns look quite dated. However, it does have multiple full pi shawls, which I love, and some of them are quite attractive. I'll probably make one or two.
Nancy
Jan 01, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Meg Swansen's compilation of various laces is a wonderful reference for those who knit (or want to knit) lace. The directions are charted, requiring familiarity with reading needlework charts. All are lovely, with some being knit on heavier-weight yarns and some on lace-weight, with others in between. The finest yarns are really no different -- the stitches are made the same as the with the heavier ones -- but there can be so little fiber in them that a new lace-knitter may prefer to start with ...more
Alison
Sep 06, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
lovely book for patterns and ideas
Sara
Feb 20, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
A basic brilliant go-to book for wonderful lace patterns written by the top lace designers. I found a sweater that I really want to knit - designed by Meg Swansen herself! I would buy this book for my library, but I can get it easily from the Elmhurst library. It's a classic.
Tammy
Mar 10, 2009 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to, library-books
I may have to buy this one, so many pretty projects, loving the shawls and sweaters . . . Yep, I want this book for my own! I don't think I was the only one either, the library's copy was pretty well shredded. So, if I had it, I might have to share. Might or might not.
Carrie
Dec 15, 2014 Carrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
This book is a collection of lace patterns from other sources. It was very unclear where one pattern stopped and the next began, and the pictures were small. I found one pattern I liked very much, but I will be looking for the original source before attempting it.
Jan
Apr 30, 2016 Jan rated it it was amazing
I shied away from this book because I thought, oh, I really don't need another shawl book. But then I bothered to LOOK at it. Wow, all kinds of good stuff. Yes, great shawls but gloves, sweaters, vests. I love this book!
Kathy
Dec 16, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: knitters of lace
Shelves: knitting
Beautiful shawls and things to knit. for the kinesthetically inclined. I can't wait to start knitting from it. Maybe because it has a photo of a woman in a shawl in front of the Golden Gate bridge, my home town.
Heywu
Apr 06, 2008 Heywu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All lace knitters
Shelves: knitting, own-it
This is the best book I have read about lace knitting. Instructions are clear and correct. Wish I had seen this book earlier, but here I am now, attempting to knit a round lace shawl
Patti
Feb 06, 2010 Patti rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. I knit my first last shawl from this book, the Pi Shawl. Excellent projects and history behind the stitches and patterns.
Dharma
Oct 08, 2013 Dharma rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
The patterns themselves are good, the layout is TERRIBLE.
Not too many patterns I'd make.
SR
Jul 07, 2008 SR rated it really liked it
DUDE. THE PICTURES.

...I've never even knitted lace. But this book gives me hope.
EK G
Jan 11, 2008 EK G rated it liked it
too advanced from me right now! i need to revisit this later.
Christy Porter
Christy Porter rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Florence Carty
Florence Carty marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Sharon
Sharon  rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Kripaluyogateacher
Kripaluyogateacher rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Carol Lam
Carol Lam rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Penelope
Penelope rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
JJ
JJ rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Wendy  Wilson
Wendy Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Debbie breland
Debbie breland rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Krista Park
Krista Park rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Glenda Clemens
Glenda Clemens rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
  • Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Art of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Fisherman's Sweaters: Twenty Exclusive Knitwear Designs for All Generations
Renowned knitting designer, owner of Schoolhouse Press, and daughter of influential knitting designer and writer Elizabeth Zimmerman.
More about Meg Swansen...