Start by marking “Beyond Nose to Tail: A Kind of British Cooking: Part II” as Want to Read:
Beyond Nose to Tail: A Kind of British Cooking: Part II

Beyond Nose to Tail: A Kind of British Cooking: Part II

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  11 reviews

From the proprietor of St. John Restaurant, which won the 2001 Moët & Chandon Restaurant Award, comes this fascinating, cutting-edge guide to preparing carnivorous dishes.

Written in the same entertaining and accessible voice that made Nose to Tail Eating a certified foodie classic, this beautiful new collection of recipes by Fergus Henderson teaches you everything yo
Published October 2nd 2007 by Bloomsbury USA (first published August 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Nose to Tail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Nose to Tail

Diana
More great cooking, more crazy British food ideas, lots to love, and others that make my stomach turn at the thought. We keep disposable razors in our kitchen now so that my husband can make the 'Trotter Gear' from here - which requires shaving the excess hair off the pig feet. Not pretty, but tasty.
Stephanie
Seems impossible for this to be better than The Whole Beast, but it might be? It continues to delight, let's say.

Just as good as the last in writing, with hilarious pictures. My favorite is the face-planting-chef who dives into the apple-calvados trifle, I think it is? And it's mostly desserts, so I don't have to be worried about finding a pig's head, all I need is rhubarb and sugar. Rhubarb is in a ton of recipes, also, which is SO EXCITING because I love rhubarb so very much.

Drawback: recipe
Mark
"Nose to Tail" is primarily a cook's book, while "Beyond" is for bakers. Not entirely, but that's the feeling imparted, which is interesting not all bad if somewhat disappointing. That said, it's a tidy little volume, by Bloomsbury, and the photographs of Jason Lowe did for me what Henderson's voice accomplished in the first. All in all, a keeper, with recipes for Chocolate Ice Cream, Jacket Potatoes, Bread Pudding - with beef suet! - pea and veal tail consomme, and plenty more to whet the chomp ...more
Monica
My only complaint is that this most excellent book does not warn you of the unexpected difficulties you will have whilst trying to butterfly a dozen pig ears, when a 15 year old cat parks himself on your feet and starts screaming for scraps. It's offal.

Otherwise, it's wonderful. Engagingly written, recipes that are approachable and delicious. And I like the ribbon bookmark, always a good thing in a cookbook.
Vuk Trifkovic
Lovely book, but don't pick it up thinking you'll cook too many of those, unless you're seriously dedicated. The food is true to SJ style ad the writing wonderfully off hand and fun, even though it does verge on (self-)parody of ye olde worlde Britishness and some of the photographs are bit 'waheey, aren't we wacky'.

Still, for all its flaws, it's a great little volume from wonderful team...
Drahcir10001
Vert Very Entertaining. Fergus writes like no other (at least within the cooking genre). A book to read, re-read and enjoy away from the kitchen, as well as one to occasionally cook from.
Kim
Nov 10, 2011 Kim added it
undoubtedly this book is wonderful for people who actually enjoy cooking. for me, I don't even know where to get these type of ingredients nor would I like to.
Far too adventurous for me!
stew
While not as indispensible as its predecessor, Henderson and his head baker manage to make "baking" as interesting as braising squirrel or deep frying rabbit.
Raul
Feb 25, 2008 Raul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pigthusiastic Foodies
Swinederful!! Porktastic! Lardicious! Sow offally good, entertaining, and witty!
Mike
Jan 17, 2011 Mike added it
It apparently helps to have a bic razor when cooking pigtails (shiver).
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
M. L.
M. L. added it
Oct 17, 2014
張家瑋
張家瑋 marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mithun Gangopadhyay
Mithun Gangopadhyay marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating The Complete Nose to Tail: A Kind of British Cooking World Cuisine United Kingdom Coco: 10 World-Leading Masters Choose 100 Contemporary Chefs Midnight Feasts: An Anthology Of Late Night Munchies