Start by marking “Dorp Dead” as Want to Read:
Dorp Dead

Dorp Dead

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Gilly is forced to go to an orphanage, but sullen and uncooperative, he gets thrown out. He is taken on by a carpenter, but soon realizes he has put his head in a noose and must fly for his life.

This is the story of a boy who discovers himself, who basically comes to grips with that most contemporary of problems, the isolation of the individual. It is told within the near-
Published November 12th 2002 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Dorp Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorp Dead

Sometimes when I withdraw a book (for low circulation) that looks good, I read it before I put it in the Friends box. At least you got enjoyed one more time, unpopular book! I hope you find a nice new home, you weird little thing.
Scott
I first read this way back in the seventh grade. Recently I got a copy and reread it and I think I find it as bewildering a book as I did more than 25 years ago.
Ensiform
This edition has an afterword by Betsy Hearne. Gilly Ground, an eleven-year-old orphan, is taken in by a ladder maker named Mr. Kobalt. A squat, muscular man, he runs a rigidly scheduled life based on the control of time and of others. At first, Gilly enjoys the discipline and the quiet, but soon sees the insanity and danger that lie in Kobalt.

I first read this 90-page young adult novelette when I was eleven, and admired it greatly. Now, many years later, I find it powerful still. It’s a strange
Magan
I read this when I was in second grade. It is not an easy book--by any stretch of the imagination. It is dark and gritty--it is a real book. It is about a boy who is an orphan who is adopted from his orphanage by a man who seems to be bringing something good into the boy's life, but it take a dark and nasty turn when the boy realizes that he's not a boy, but a slave. The boy, along with the man's dog, make an amazing, harrowing and dangerous escape.

Highly recommended.
Nicole
Picked it up from my mom's 3rd grade class. I loved the language, every sentence had impact and was important to the story. Nothing wasted. The imagery is so concrete and vivid. The foreshadowing was well done, but I was still kept guessing as to how it turns out. Kind of dark which is why it is often passed over in schools.
Ken
This is one of those books that has been on my bookshelf since I was a young boy and I finally got around to reading it. I never expected such a dark tale of an orphan who goes to a foster home, only to find himself living with a madman bent on unspeakable acts.
Edy
Dorp Dead is the moving story of a young orphan who is sent to live with a mentally-ill man. A little book but packed with emotion.

(I read this novel in the 70s when I was taking an adolescent lit. class. The critique came from one I did for the class.)
'menna Ali ッ
Actually it deserves 3.5.. and at last it succeeded to be a spine-tingling horror story.
I love that misspelled part.. it was a shock and I kept laughing at myself also I examined my sister to see that I'm not the only fool one there xD
I love DOGS <3
Lala Hulse
My memories of this book are very vague, but I know I read it at least a dozen times in grade school. I'm pretty sure the edition I had had some good illustrations, too.
Kelly Dunn
This book took an interesting twist at the end, which made the ending kind of depressing. But it was still an enjoyable short read.
Camille
i remember finding this book while in elementary school and just loving it. it was one of my favorites all through high school.
Jessica
My first dark fiction. It's been 36 years and I remember this story well.
Robert
Sep 30, 2010 Robert added it
A little short and weird.
Erin
Dark. Loved it.
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Bret
Bret added it
Oct 22, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Hal Hamilton Jr.
Hal Hamilton Jr. marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Lydia Nagieb
Lydia Nagieb marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
On October 4, 1916 in Spokane, Washington, Julia Cunningham was born. Julia went to school for a short time in Virginia. She was an editor and held various other jobs before writing children's and young adult books. The Vision of Francois the Fox, Ms. Cunningham's first book, was published in 1960, followed by Viollet (1966), The Treasure is the Rose (1973), and Tuppeny (1978).

Her book, Dorp Dead
More about Julia Cunningham...
The Treasure Is The Rose Flight of the Sparrow Burnish Me Bright Tuppenny Silent Voice, The