Start by marking “Diet for a Dead Planet: Big Business and the Coming Food Crisis” as Want to Read:
Diet for a Dead Planet: Big Business and the Coming Food Crisis

Diet for a Dead Planet: Big Business and the Coming Food Crisis

If we are what we eat, then, as Christopher D. Cook contends in this powerful look at the food industry, we are not in good shape. The facts speak for themselves: more than 75 million Americans suffered from food poisoning last year, and 5,000 of them died; 67 percent of American males are overweight, obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death in the United S ...more
Published May 29th 2006 by The New Press (first published November 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Diet for a Dead Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diet for a Dead Planet

Cwn_annwn_13
Mar 23, 2010 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it it was amazing
The author does such a good job of showing what utter rats agribusiness/chain grocery stores/pesticide companies are I have to give this a five star rating. Environmental damage, exploitive labor practices, factory farms, unhealthy and at times out and out toxic food supply, destruction of the family farms, the FDA/USDA being there more to see to it that big food gets what they want instead of protecting the public. All of this is covered in Diet for a Dead Planet. Even the farm subsidies, which ...more
Paulreynv
Apr 04, 2016 Paulreynv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is so dense with information that it took me forever to read, but it was incredibly educational. it really helps put a lot of things together.
Matthew Harbowy
Mar 26, 2012 Matthew Harbowy rated it it was ok
Acting as adequate counterpoints, Barry Glassner's "The Gospel of Food" and Christopher Cook's "Diet for a Dead Planet" provide an interesting contrast on agribusiness.

Cook's "Diet" is almost universally a polemic: despite this, his book is most fascinating during part II, tracing the roots of the conversion from agrarianism pre 1800's, and proceeds to modern corporate monoculture agribusiness of today. Rather than opening with this story and presenting a coherent explanation for "the way things
Kelly
Nov 29, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok
I only gave it a low rating because it bored me a little. It's my own fault; I've read similar books before and so it seemed a little preaching-to-the-choir for me. But it is very in depth, well-researched, and a pretty easy read if you're into the subject matter. This isn't a vegetarian propaganda book, either, it goes beyond animal ethics to problems with grocery stores, food distribution, and health issues. It's basically a good source of information for the average person who isn't aware of ...more
Jimi Remick
Jan 22, 2008 Jimi Remick rated it it was amazing
The author give us a glimpse into the ire strait our food system is in an how the corporate food industry is to blame. A riveting an disturbing view of how our most basic necessity-food has become big business which has lead to all sorts of environmental social and economical problems that must be dealt with. Cook brings a fresh approach to how and what we should eat. The book put an emphasis on healthy (physically an environmentally) sustainably produced food.Cook argues that what we don't know ...more
Erin
Jan 16, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
This book was written in the early part of this decade, so a lot of their supporting material is from the 80s, 90s, and the early 2000s. I found the information about the history of agriculture interesting as well as the information pertaining to the way animal processing workers are treated and recruited. The section on how greedy chain grocery stores/retail giants are is eye opening.

Really, the whole book is eye opening!
Ethicurean Reads
Going beyond fast food and GMOs to explain why our entire food system is in crisis, Cook tells how corporate control of farms and supermarkets, unsustainable drives to increase agribusiness profits, misplaced subsidies for exports, and anemic regulation have all combined to produce a grim harvest. Cook argues cogently for a whole new way of looking at what we eat — one that places healthy, sustainably produced food at the top of the menu for political change.
Wendy
Jul 15, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started at 5 stars, but going downhill quickly. The first section of this book was interesting- talking about how tainted meat is in the food supply. Now, I feel like I'm reading "The History of Farming in America: How Farming is Intertwined with Economics and Politics". My husband says to skip the section, but I figure, it's probably good for me, and it certainly helps me get to sleep at night! I guess this book is probably above my reading level...
Theresa
Couldn't finish this one, but luckily, no one from book club cared about that, or finished it either. I think that he's got some good things to say, but it really felt to me like I reading an opinionated thesis. Also, saying that something has "anecdotal evidence" is not the same as saying that it is true.
Monica
Nov 27, 2007 Monica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who care about how what they eat affects the world at large
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a very disturbing and informative and dry read about what's wrong with the way our country produces its food and the impact that has on the environment, the labor market, our health and the world wide economy and international famine. You'll never look at a grocery store the same way again.
Julie
Nov 24, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book thoroughly depressed me. The greed of corporate America, what we do to other countries. IT is horrible. How we are damaging our bodies with GMO food. Global warming. IT makes the Mayan end of the world look like a good thing.
Lil Mike
Aug 14, 2007 Lil Mike rated it really liked it
author paints the all too true & disturbing picture of the way it works in the corporate food chain, and what alternatives one can seek out.
Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2010
sarah
sarah rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Christa  Seeley
Christa Seeley rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Tricia M
Tricia M rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2008
Scarlethorseoliver
Scarlethorseoliver rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2010
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Stellaluna
Apr 18, 2016 Stellaluna rated it really liked it
Let's just say it's terrifying.
Whitney Berry
Whitney Berry rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2008
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2008
Erin Elizabeth
Erin Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2009
Anna Haight
Anna Haight rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2007
Max
Max rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2007
Yardley Hickey
Yardley Hickey rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Eat Here: Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
  • Lords Of The Harvest: Biotech, Big Money, And The Future Of Food
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Hope's Edge: The Next Diet for a Small Planet
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • Food Rebellions!: Forging Food Sovereignty to Solve the Global Food Crisis
  • Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-Lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future Today!
  • A Nation of Farmers: Defeating the Food Crisis on American Soil
  • Fields of Plenty: A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It
  • The Real Food Revival: Aisle by Aisle, Morsel by Morsel
  • For the Common Good: Redirecting the economy toward community, the environment, and a sustainable future.
  • Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods
  • Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill