Start by marking “A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories” as Want to Read:
A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories

A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories (Harry the Dog)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Three classics about Harry, everyone's favorite "dirty dog"! Includes complete text and illustrations for Harry the Dirty Dog, No Roses for Harry, and Harry By the Sea. Children will love Harry's bath time adventure in Harry the Dirty Dog. He's run away from home and gotten into a very muddy situation that actually changes his spots! Will his family ever recognize him? Eve ...more
Hardcover
Published 1956 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
The first Book I ever wanted to read by myself and I did. Over and over. It was the "Big Bang" of Hugh's Literary Universe started here.
Karen
I grew up reading about Harry the Dirty Dog and I quite liked him, so when I saw a recent reprint of the story collection, I just had to buy it. This was before I had a son or was expecting one. When I re-read the stories many years after my childhood, I still smiled at No Roses for Harry. How I could relate to the gift of an unattractive sweater. Harry's solution is rather ingenious.

The illustrations are darling, in a style that would be called "retro" now, but actually was current when origina
Joyce Munzwandi
Grade Level:2
This is a fun and adventurous story of a white dog with black spots who runs away from home because he did not want to have a bath.He goes off and plays in the dirt and until his color changes and he becomes a black dog with white spots. When he comes back his family does not recognise him. he tries hard to get them to recognise him but they dont. he eventually digs up his scrubbing brush that he had hidden and the children give him a bath. They realise that its Harry their dog. The
Shayla
This book is about a dog who hates baths, so he hides his brush, and he runs away from his home and he gets really dirty. When he comes back home, he is so dirty that his family doesn’t recognize him. So he grabs his brush, and runs to the bathtub. The children wash him and they are so happy that their dog is home.
This book is very good! The text and pictures go great together. They show the sad and worried emotions that the family and the dog go through before they realize that they are togeth
Shinji Nishida
Harry is honest and cute! He likes everything except getting a bath. One day he got very dirty and changed from a white dog with black spots, to a black dog with white spots. When he got to his house, his family couldn't recognize him as Harry, so he dicided to jump into the bathtub with the scrubbing brush in his month.
I could feel how much he loves his family and his family love him. Dogs are overly honest, sometimes fool and it is very cute. I also had a dog. She died just two days ago. She
Jim Sibigtroth
Classic tale of an adventurous puppy who gets so dirty that he can't be recognized.
Nancy
I recently re-visited a childhood favorite, Harry the Dirty Dog, when I acquired some books from my childhood. Harry is a black and white dog with the best of intentions that tend to go awry, and which somehow ends up with him sleeping in the doghouse. Probably my favorite Harry story is when the Lady next door learns to sing Opera and how Harry deals with the noise. These are just one step short of being chapter books and are best for the 2nd-4th grade crowd.

Auttumn C
This sweet, entertaining book would be a great read aloud that could lead into a lesson about personal hyigene, or even lead to a class discussion on the places were they could get the dirtiest and then how to become clean again! Students may even be able to relate with Harry not wanting to take a bath! It would be interesting to see which students are like Harry, are there more boys or girls who do not like taking baths?
Sydnee Hulse
I love this book. It was one of my favorites as a kid, and is still one of my favorites today. The message in this book is great for kids, and the pictures are key to the success of the book. The reader, or listener, can really empathize with Harry in the end, and also see his journey when he enjoys being dirty at first. This is a great book that everyone should read.
Elijah
Its about where this dog didnt take a bath but ran away and got dirty with alot of things. But when he came home the family thought that it was different dog. But Harry ran to the tub and they gave him a bath and it was Harry the kids were screaming that it was Harry.
James Lowrey
Probably the set of books that really turned me into a lover of reading, so much so that a small andrex dog my little brother got when he was born was instantly named harry by me. Just fantastic and one i'd recommend wholeheartedly for all young children.
Rosanna
kid tested, mother approved. he talked about this book throughout the day.
Hayley
Another classic from my childhood. I love these stories & the main character, Harry, with all my heart. They have a wonderful blend of humor & action which ties them together & makes the enjoyable for children & adults alike.
Katherine
Harry and Paddington Bear. Two really great, adventurous characters from my childhood. Loved Harrys bathtime story! He gets into everything trying to get away from getting clean.
ElliottDietrich Mattison
We were introduced to Harry while visiting Corrina and enjoying her already extensive book collection. He has become a staple in our house since then!
Bree
Notes:
includes Harry, No Roses, and By the Sea
not too cumbersome in size
Catherine
One of my youngest sons most favorite books ever! Mostly read with dad.
Nicole
These were some of my favorites as a kid, and my kids love them, too.
Janice
I remember reading this as a kid and loving, but now it is just okay.
Susan
Aug 06, 2008 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susan by: My Mom read this to me.
My childhood...the one pure, good thing I carried from it.
Erin
I loved it because its funny and you should read it!
Katie
Harry has always been one of my childhood favorites!!
Very Moon
I think I read this every summer as a kid!
Alicia
One of my all time favorites!!!
Kathleen Burden
One of my favourite books as a child.
Melissa
Such a cute little book.
Emily
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • A Busy Year
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • April's Kittens
  • Hibernation Station
  • The Jester Has Lost His Jingle
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car
  • The Very Hungry Bear
  • A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more
More about Gene Zion...

Harry the Dog (4 books)
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • No Roses for Harry!
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Harry by the Sea
Harry the Dirty Dog No Roses for Harry! Harry and the Lady Next Door  Harry by the Sea The Plant Sitter