Start by marking “The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis” as Want to Read:

For nearly a quarter of a century, top sports psychologist James E. Loehr has been training world-class athletes, from Olympic gold medalist speed-skater Dan Jansen to tennis stars Monica Seles and Jim Courier His bestselling book, Mental Toughness Training for Sports, is a classic. In The New Toughness Training for Sports, he offers a toughness program that allows you to ...more
Published November 1st 1995 by Plume (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The New Toughness Training for Sports, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Toughness Training for Sports

connor bond
Sep 07, 2008 connor bond rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: athletes
This book is designed to help athletes get stronger mentally physically and emotionally. It goes into great detail about all the types of weakness and how to improve them. It also includes training exercises to mark your progress in all kinds of categories. The theme of the book is to improve all aspects of your game.This book is similar to most sports movies because the protagonist team always has to overcome the same physical emotional and mental hurtles that are talked about in this book. Thi ...more
Evan Bageris
I read it like 15 years ago so I don't really remember. But come to think of it, I am pretty tough. That doesn't look like it spelled right....tough. Ram Tough. It looks like though. Anyway, I don't know if it's because I read this book, but ask around, I'm pretty tough. I mean I've been training for it so......you know......for sports. Yeah, when it comes to sports I am definetly tough. I don't like to brag, but I've training for it, you know, for toughness.....in sports especially. So I guess ...more
Mandi Friedman
Oct 19, 2012 Mandi Friedman rated it it was amazing
This was the first competitive book I've read, and I love it. I am not sure if it is because this book is truly amazing or if it is simply because I love competition, but this book was jampacked with wonderful insights! It helped me understand the whole picture of mental, physical, and emotional health. All three work together to perform a tough athlete who performs at their peak. If you are an athlete aiming to perform their best, read this book. It does not disappoint.
Carrie Foster
Jul 10, 2008 Carrie Foster rated it it was amazing
This book shaped me. I read it in high school as a tennis team assignment, but still find quotes come to mind from it when I'm in tough situations. It is all about being in control of your physical, mental, and emotional self so you can be in your ideal performance state, which we all want to be in at all times in everything we do. You don't need to read it cover to cover, but it's worth pulling some concepts out of.
Folkert Wierda
Sep 06, 2013 Folkert Wierda rated it really liked it
Competitive sport is tough on the mind. So the mind requires as much toughening and training as the body. Loehr provides a no-nonsense walk-through on how the mind and body work in unison to competitive success, or how the mind can obstruct it. I get several clues from this book that I use in my daily training and in races. Nothing revolutionary, but common sense in a well organized fashion.
Sarah Bergmann
Jan 22, 2008 Sarah Bergmann rated it it was ok
This author had some interesting ideas about how to compete at your top level more consistently. Some of the ideas were standard, some were new. The book was only 200 pages and probably didn't really need to be that long but was worth the read.
Sue
Aug 10, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
It was OK. So much of this was common sense but it had some good tid bits. My son was reading it. His coach recommended it.
Kristi Lambert deter
Nov 03, 2013 Kristi Lambert deter rated it it was amazing
I preferred this book to The Mind Gym. Both are great, but this one resonated with me a little more. Every athlete should read both these books.
Cris
Jun 09, 2008 Cris rated it it was amazing
The book is no longer new, but is still very timely and uselful. Love the concept applied to business and particularly a job search. Lots of great tips and motivators.
Clayton Summitt
Clayton Summitt rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2008
Bravenewworker
Bravenewworker rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2011
Joe Merrill
Joe Merrill rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Doctorwendy
Doctorwendy rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2016
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Bonnie Galloway
Bonnie Galloway rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Carilyn
Carilyn rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Gaucho
Gaucho rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Robert Davis
Robert Davis rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Joe Eby
Joe Eby rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Chastine
Chastine rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Selene
Selene rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Francisco Brito
Francisco Brito rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
James Strock
James Strock rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Earn the Right to Win: How Success in Any Field Starts with Superior Preparation
  • Men's Health Power Training: Build Bigger, Stronger Muscles with through Performance-based Conditioning
  • How Winning Works: 8 Essential Leadership Lessons from the Toughest Teams on Earth
  • Scrawny to Brawny: The Complete Guide to Building Muscle the Natural Way
  • The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team
  • The Writing on the Wall: Why We Must Embrace China as a Partner or Face It as an Enemy
  • How Good Do You Want to Be?: A Champion's Tips on How to Lead and Succeed at Work and in Life
  • Visual Journaling: Going Deeper than Words
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Atlas
  • The Death of Conservatism
  • Personal Foul
Dr. Jim Loehr is a world-renowned performance psychologist and author of 16 books including his most recent, The Only Way to Win. He also co-authored the national bestseller The Power of Full Engagement.

Dr. Loehr’s ground-breaking, science-based energy management training system has achieved world-wide recognition and has been chronicled in leading national publications, including the Harvard Busi
More about Jim Loehr...