Start by marking “Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents” as Want to Read:
Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents

Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  431 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A treasured parent resource since its publication, Taking Charge of ADHD provides authoritative information on ADHD and its treatment. From internationally renowned ADHD expert Russell A. Barkley, the book empowers parents by arming them with the knowledge, expert guidance, and confidence they need. Included are:

*A step-by-step plan for behavior management that has helped
Paperback, Revised, 331 pages
Published September 2nd 2000 by The Guilford Press (first published November 3rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Charge of ADHD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Charge of ADHD

Michele
Feb 22, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I wish I had read this three years ago. This has become an invaluable resource for me in getting a gameplan together to manage my son's ADHD. I recommend this for anyone with a child who has trouble in the classroom. It doesn't touch on any learning disabilities, but gives plenty of arrows to point you in the right direction.
Kris Kipp
Aug 04, 2013 Kris Kipp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be both informative and insightful. However, in my opinion, it also reads like a textbook and was at times a bit of a chore to get through.
Anne Jordan-Baker
Oct 30, 2013 Anne Jordan-Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adhd
Best book that I've read on this topic. Recent science, excellent advice. One downside for me: less attention (ha!) to inattentive type than to hyperactive and combined types. Barkley is a blunt guy, calling the myths about ADHD "fallacies" and those holding them to be "scientifically illiterate." This is also the first book I've read that addresses the true seriousness of ADHD, that even the term ADHD (which he thinks should be changed) "trivializes the disorder, since it grossly understates th ...more
Summer B.
Feb 19, 2015 Summer B. rated it it was amazing
This is the bible of ADHD resources. I appreciate how thorough it is, and how the author cites references and dates for every study, fact, or statistic. If you have a child with ADHD, this is a must read, must highlight, must memorize passages. There is a third edition out, and I highly recommend getting the most recent edition, as ADHD research is advancing all the time!
Kyla
Jan 23, 2014 Kyla rated it really liked it
I didn't like that they stuck fast to commonly used medical terms, like "minimal brain dysfunction" and "ADHD" even though not all cases of ADD include Hyperactivity, however I was extremely grateful for the medical explanations of what causes the inattention and for the many tips on how to use positive reinforcement to encourage attention and proper behavior.
K
Jun 24, 2015 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly detailed and user-friendly with a practical focus, but not the only approach out there. If you like this, great; if not, you may prefer The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children which is a different but also effective approach. Your preference will depend on your child's issues and your needs as a parent.
Sandy Blinkhorn
Dec 27, 2015 Sandy Blinkhorn rated it it was amazing
This book saved me!! Saved my sanity, saved my marriage, saved my 11 kid with ADHD. My husband and I read it simultaneously on our nooks. Dr. Barkley expertly explains what ADHD is and what it is not. He gives real life examples of families who have come to him for help and many of their stories immediately resonated with our experience. In addition, Dr. Barkley gives historical background of ADHD - it isn't a 20thC phenom! Subsequent chapters lay out how to proceed in getting your family life b ...more
Rebecca Grace
Feb 25, 2009 Rebecca Grace rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents, teachers, or relatives of children with ADHD
THIS is the book I've been looking for! Finally a book that helps me see my sons' outrageous "bad" behavior in the context of their ADHD. When you understand WHY they do something, it's so much easier to know what to do about it (and to understand that they aren't driving me crazy on purpose, they are just wired that way). So this book is helpful two ways: it helps parents of children newly diagnosed with ADHD to understand what is going on with their kids and why they do what they do, and it al ...more
Elizabeth
I have read quite a few ADHD books, and this one is, hands-down, the most authoritative and helpful. Author Barkley's goal is to empower parents in their quest to understand and help their ADHD child. He does not preach a certain approach but instead encourages parents to read widely, gather as much information as possible, and then to constantly question and reassess that information, weeding out unsubstantiated claims, poor advice, and outdated research. The research he presents is well vetted ...more
Jessica
Feb 26, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
This book is based upon solid scientific research, but I was disappointed to learn halfway through that the author's techniques are thought to be ineffective for children with Type 1 ADD (Inattentive). I plowed through regardless and still manages to find some applicable nuggets of advice. Still worth the read for Type 1 parents if only for the background knowledge Barkley provides about the disorder as a whole.
Hilary Roberts
Jan 19, 2011 Hilary Roberts rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book is full of useful information! It goes from giving lots of information to help the reader understand ADHD, to helping decide if and how to have your child evaluated, to providing ideas for parenting children with ADHD, to helping your child cope at school, to learning about medications that are available. This book honestly has everything a parent needs to know to understand ADHD and know how to move forward with helping your child. There is plenty to learn and know that isn't in this ...more
Denise
Jan 07, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
A book I wish I would have been recommended to be about 6 years ago. It would have saved me many hours of questioning and trying to understand; what exactly is ADHD? I had many myths and preconceived notions that were made clear. I would highly recommend anyone who has a loved one who has ADHD or who works with people who have ADHD, read this book. There are so many small things you can do to help a child grow into a successful adult by first recognizing they have ADHD and then adapting their ap ...more
Kerry
Feb 27, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 6, non-fiction, 2013
I only read the first half of this, but since it was the part I wanted to read, I'm going ahead and calling his one "read" rather than a "did not finish".

The information in here on ADHD was both fascinating and depressing at time. I learned some things I didn't know and others I hope my son escapes. But information is always a good thing to have, I figure, and the more I know, hopefully the better I can help my son.

I skimmed the second half, which was behaviour ideas etc. Most of what would work
Garlyn
Nov 03, 2015 Garlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Some good points to think about and good ideas to put into practice to help my child and myself. Good info about what help is available.
Shayla Tommila
Aug 10, 2014 Shayla Tommila rated it really liked it
I adapted the token system, most of the information consists of things I already know. If you are unfamiliar with ADHD I highly suggest this as a quick guideline.
Jillian
Apr 27, 2009 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: asd-adhd
This is the most middle-of-the-road book I have found on ADD/ADHD. It is comprehensive, easy to understand, and organized in such a way that I continually refer to various sections as the need arises. It's an excellent reference and resource book for parents of children with ADHD.

I especially like the author's inclusion of nutrition and physical activity as factors that AFFECT the symptoms of ADD/ADHD, for better or worse, without saying that poor nutrition or lack of exercise actually CAUSE the
Leeanne Kilpatrick
Aug 15, 2015 Leeanne Kilpatrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adhd
A must read for parents and teachers who have contact with adhd. Enlightening and informative.
Jill
Aug 16, 2013 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hm. Don't know where to start on this one. Some chapters were certainly worth it. Others were very clinical and scary. Lots of statistics to make it Loud and Clear what kids and parents are up against. It was a good cautionary tale in some respects, validations about some of the things I'm already doing in other respects...and some good basic medical information. But, as a good friend reminded me recently, this isn't the book that is going to give me hope. This book will give me facts and truths ...more
Irene
Jul 25, 2015 Irene rated it it was amazing
a must have book for parents of ADHD kids!!
Heather
Sep 26, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Best book on ADHD. hands down.
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com
Feb 14, 2014 Tamdaqueenhotmail.com rated it it was amazing
Informative and helpful
Katie
Apr 26, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Although there are some good chapters in this book, I found that the author assumed all children with ADHD had oppositional defiance disorder (ODD) and a large portion of this book was dedicated to behavior modification and increasing compliance. This book sets out to educate parents about ADHD, but it seems a bit misinformed about all aspects of the disorder. I did appreciate the chapters on how the medications work, and all the options available.
May 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A detailed and comprehensive guide to parenting a child with ADHD. I found that there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding ADHD, much of which I believed myself. Well written, clear and positive, it covers everything from scientific studies of the brain, traits of the disorder and parenting tips to teacher helps and a guide to available medications. If you have a kid or know a kid with ADHD, I highly recommend this book.
Angelica Mcmurtray
Jul 01, 2013 Angelica Mcmurtray rated it liked it
It's a good 'first' book for those who have a child diagnosed with ADHD. Dr. Russell Barkley is the 'Godfather of ADHD' and has researched and studied this disorder for over 30 years. There were times I felt like his tone was too negative, as if the future and outcome for those with ADHD are bleak and hopeless unless you medicate. Not really uplifting stuff, but essential reading.
Brittney Fischer
Jan 04, 2013 Brittney Fischer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good grief-it too me such a long time to finish this book! But...I am glad I did. I enjoyed it so much (aside from all the names, dates and medical terms I didn't understand) that while reading it on my kindle, I bought a physical copy for my husband so I can go through an mark all of the things he needs to know as well. Very helpful.
Wendy
Jan 04, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it
Interesting scientific information
Liesel
Jun 16, 2012 Liesel rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is the best book on ADHD that I have seen and would recommend it to anyone who has ADHD, has a child with ADHD, or works with that population. For me, it just solidified that my child definitely DOES NOT have ADHD, ha ha ha. However, I did learn a lot that is sort of useful with children in general.
Suzanne (suz&mark)
Jan 25, 2012 Suzanne (suz&mark) rated it liked it
Since the only time I get to read is before bed, this was not the most relaxing book for me to read, which is why it took me months to finish it. However, I pushed through and it did end up having valuable ideas that could help with some my daughter's issues.
Doug
May 02, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it
Not a pleasure read, but a superb reference for the parent of a child with ADHD. Very rational, science- and observation-based, lots of references and further info provided. Was recommended to me as THE starting off point for our journey...so here we go.
Robin
Jan 01, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
Amazing resource for parents who need to advocate for their child with ADD or ADHD. Must have! Also, great resource for teachers to better understand how to accomodate for the needs of these students.
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
  • The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Raising Your Distracted Child
  • The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander
  • Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond
  • The Difficult Child
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • Smart but Scattered Teens: The "Executive Skills" Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential
Russell A. Barkley (born 1949) is a clinical psychologist who is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina and an author of books on ADHD. Involved in research since 1973 and a licensed psychologist since 1977, he is an expert on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and has devoted much of his scientific career to studying ADHD and related problems i ...more
More about Russell A. Barkley...