Start by marking “Winston Churchill: Soldier, Statesman, Artist” as Want to Read:
Winston Churchill: Soldier, Statesman, Artist

Winston Churchill: Soldier, Statesman, Artist

A vivid portrait of a unique leader who both experienced and influenced the great social and political changes of the first half of the twentieth century.
Published February 22nd 1996 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Winston Churchill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winston Churchill

Heidi'sbooks
Feb 13, 2015 Heidi'sbooks rated it really liked it
My daughter and I finished reading aloud this children's biography called Winston Churchill: Soldier, Statesman, Artist. This is an invitingly short book on Winston Churchill's life. For the life of me, I can't figure out the low rating this book received on Goodreads. The book starts with Churchill's young life, goes into his time in the Boer War, WWI, and his political offices, then WWII and after. Now, it is not long or difficult but it is very interesting for the young age for which it is in ...more
Sarah Gonalez
Jan 22, 2009 Sarah Gonalez rated it did not like it
Winston Churchill was lived as a soldier, journalist, and courageous war leader. Being raised around the rules of the government and close living examples of parliament participants both his father and grandfather, Churchill gained his passion for politics and War related matters. In his later years, he became prime minister of Great Britain, successor disiked Neville Chamberlain. Beside his war career, he was a successful journalist in England, producing books about the controversial topics in ...more
Onysha
Jun 01, 2014 Onysha rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good overview of Churchill's life. I especially liked that the author covered Churchill's involvement in World War I, because his role in WWI is often forgotten. The writing was simple and engaging. The only thing I didn't quite like was that the author didn't mention some of the unsavoury things Churchill allowed as Allied leader in WWII, such as the Dresden bombing and the exchange of POWs with Russia. It's good that the author remembered Winston's wife. She's often underrated elsewhere.
AmyNikita
Jun 15, 2016 AmyNikita rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

The writing was boring, but the actual facts were very interesting. I was especially surprised to read about how much of a family man Churchill was, and I enjoyed reading about his interests and relations outside of politics.
I didn't know much about Churchill before now, so this book taught me a lot :)
Isaiah the Ox
Dec 22, 2014 Isaiah the Ox rated it it was ok
An interesting story about an interesting person. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Churchill, but he was a very powerful and smart man. The book was rather dry at parts, but a good book for anyone studying history and wants a very brief overview over Churchill.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
Loved the Winston's Wit section at the end of the book.
The other John
Apr 23, 2009 The other John rated it liked it
This one's a nice little biography of the former Prime Minister of Great Britain and only honorary citizen of the United States. It's written for kids so the text is quick and easy to read and there are nice pictures to illuminate the story. The biggest problem I had with the book was that since Churchill was such a fascinating individual, I would much have preferred a book five times as long. (Not that I have time to read such a tome these days...)
Rachael
Jul 11, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy biographies, history, and especially Churchill
Shelves: wwii
I love Winston Churchill, really and truly. There are zillions of books about him but I picked it, you guessed it, because it was short! He was an amazing man, with unbelievable foresight. I guess he was a little arrogant, but when you're a genius, maybe you have the right to be!
Tammy
Feb 02, 2016 Tammy rated it it was ok
Very dry book about someone who didn't seem to be a dry man. "If you cannot read all your books...arrange them on your own plan so that if you do not know what is in them, you at least know where they are. Let them be your friends; let them at any rate be your acquaintances."
Sally
Feb 21, 2010 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This young adult biography filled in some of the gaps in my understanding of Churchill's life and career, such as how members of Parliament can be elected from varying districts. I also liked the photos!
Maren
Apr 12, 2009 Maren rated it really liked it
really a nice sum-up biog for someone like me who is exploring whether I want to dive into a full-length adult bio. A little too hero-worshiping, but I guess that's hard to avoid w/a great guy like WC.
Sydney
Feb 14, 2013 Sydney rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of biographies, but this book was okay. I liked the pictures, and the fact that pages weren't to hard to read, and understand.
Matthew Lamb
Aug 14, 2011 Matthew Lamb rated it it was ok
This reads at about a sixth grade level. However, it is very concise and informative. Not bad for a quick read.
Katie  Wornson
Feb 03, 2009 Katie Wornson rated it it was amazing
excellent read
Christy Escobar
Jan 13, 2013 Christy Escobar rated it really liked it
I
Hannah Flowers
Hannah Flowers marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Emily Donovan
Emily Donovan rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Julie Pate
Julie Pate marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Jessica S.
Jessica S. marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Johanna
Johanna rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Gail Richmond
Gail Richmond marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Jessica Dundas
Jessica Dundas rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Iris Ang
Iris Ang rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Laura Long
Laura Long rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Ruthie C.
Ruthie C. marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jenni
Jenni rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Formerly a school teacher, John B. Severance now writes full time. He lives in Westerly, Rhode Island.
More about John B. Severance...