Start by marking “What's Happening to Our Girls?” as Want to Read:
What's Happening to Our Girls?

What's Happening to Our Girls?

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This work takes a comprehensive look at the world of young girls and the pressures they face, from self-esteem issues to the influence of the internet and the barrage of marketing that targets them.
Published 2008

To ask other readers questions about What's Happening to Our Girls?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Happening to Our Girls?

Carol-Anne
Jan 12, 2012 Carol-Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book, but a little too negative and sensational for me. I was alarmed when I read it (before my daughter started high school). My anxiety has decreased markedly over the past two years as I have seen my daughter and her friends devote themselves to study, sport, music and community service; and most importantly, develop the social intelligence needed to avoid many of the mind-sets and situations that Maggie describes in her book. An eye opening read, but too alarmist for my liking.
Hannah
Jul 30, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: reality-bites
Well it made me start thinking about this stuff. However it really felt like it took the worst end of the spectrum and made it sound normal. Also with all of the scare tactics there was no ways to actually help, no suggestions for how to deal with it. It made me want to read Nigel Latta's book!
Jeff
Aug 13, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: thoughtful girls, their thoughtful boyfriends, parents, and everyone :-)
I have no daughters, and do not pretend to represent mainstream views, but this is interesting, and especially, in my case, because of my employment in China.

Anglo-US communities have had many years to ponder the roles of modern women, and have at times been pretty fierce about our expectations for them.

However, as this book makes a reasonable job of demonstrating, naive parenting, our public life, predatory marketing, and especially the mismanaged nature of the internet makes life confusing a
Michelle
Jun 27, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
This gives the impression that most teenage girls are like this. Thankfully I've found that most of them are not.
Get Ahead Kids
Feb 20, 2013 Get Ahead Kids rated it really liked it
Backed by qualitative research and expert opinions, this is an essential read for parents of girls 0-21 years.

Often it is mind exploding as the author deals with topics of tweens and teenagers overstimulated by media, unduly influenced by peer pressure and unleashed by loose parental boundaries.

The advice for averting the social evils affecting our girls is instilling a sense of worth and high self esteem.

Read it and don't delude yourself that you know what your girls are up to.
Amanda
Jan 27, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Liked the book. Agreed with lots of what was said. Very frightening to have my 11 year old basically having teen experiences. I'm glad she has a solid grounding and that we have a good relationship. I did read a few things I hadn't considered and look at certain aspects of our relationship a little differently as a result of reading the book. Way of the world I guess - new challenges await.
The Casual Librarian
Good stuff in it - things that parents of girls should know. As a former high school teacher though, I didn't have the "Ah-ha!" and "Oh my god!?" moments I think you're meant to have when you read this.

I didn't find anything new or ground-breaking here. Worth a read though!
Jenava
Sep 22, 2009 Jenava rated it liked it
This is a must read for any parent with a daughter.
Salama
Nov 05, 2013 Salama added it
How can I find the book ?!
Carmen
Carmen is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Georgina
Georgina rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Nicoleta
Nicoleta rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Kathleen M
Kathleen M rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2015
Rhiannon Johnstone
Rhiannon Johnstone marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
ريم حموية
ريم حموية marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
James Hobbs
James Hobbs marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Julie Bayliss
Julie Bayliss marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2014
Rania T
Rania T rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Aconite
Aconite rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013