The Winds Of Change: A Richard Jury Mystery (Richard Jury Mysteries 19)

The Winds Of Change: A Richard Jury Mystery (Richard Jury #19)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,605 ratings  ·  77 reviews
"Brian Macalvie of the Devon and Cornwall police takes this failure especially hard, since he had headed up the investigation three years ago when Flora disappeared one day from the Lost Gardens of Heligan." "Scott's step-daughter has vanished. His wife Mary has died." Joined by the intrepid Melrose Plant, now a gardener at Angel Gate, Jury and Macalvie rake over the prese...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 621 pages
Published February 2nd 2005 by Thorndike Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Winds Of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winds Of Change

Heidi Babcock
I love Martha Grimes and Richard Jury but have a secret crush on Melrose Plant. What a name! I've read them all and am looking forward to starting over again. I find myself laughing out loud when I'm reading these books.
Spuddie
Number umpteen in Scotland Yard's Chief Superintendent Richard Jury series. Jury once again teams up with Melrose Plant--this time posing as a "turf specialist" at the estate of a wealthy man where an unknown woman was found murdered. Cmdr. Brian Macalvie has called Jury in and he goes willingly, believing there may be a connection between the murdered woman and the murder of a young girl in London.

There is a question of a pedophile ring, of cases of mistaken identity, and as always, deceit and...more
Beth
Serendipity. Synchronicity. I recently read the biography of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higgenson, and now both turn up in a murder mystery. Whoever thinks mysteries are low rent is totally wrong. Grimes is always good and this is one of her best. Jury is involved in solving the killing of a five-year old girl who was also raped. Running in tandem with this death is the death of Jury's cousin, the last of his family with whom he can share memories of his youth. The theme of death is bl...more
Sandra Strange
This series contains really good British mysteries, and features a host of repeating characters, Jury, a Scotland Yard chief inspector (so goes all over England and other places when asked), along with his rich aristocratic friend Melrose Plant, with the people (many eccentric, many real characters) surrounding both--Plant in his Northamptonshire estate and the small towns surrounding him, and Jury at his London apartment and with all the helpers and local police officials that surround him, whe...more
Kathie
I have read all of the Richard Jury series and have enjoyed them. However, the last few, including this one, seem to be lagging. I am tiring of the odd, precocious children that Grimes seems to feel impelled to include in every book. Although the book is supposedly set in contemporary times (computers, cell phones, etc.), I get a very strong sense that Grimes is stuck in the past, and the book has the feel of the 30s or 40s instead. Overall, I did enjoy the book, because I like the main characte...more
Kathy Davie
They are such a great combination-Richard Jury and Melrose Plant. Between Plant's background sleuthing using his noble background and Jury's stubbornness, evil ends in a backdrop of sorrow. I do love Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series.
Annabelle
This is a pretty good Grimes book, with Richard Jury and Melrose Plant being sardonically dapper around the countryside of Britain. I just wonder why they are asexual. They flirt with girls and Jury lusts after his house mate Carole-anne. There’s a murdered woman no one recognizes on the estate of a man who had a step daughter abducted three years earlier. Her biological father is involved in a pedophilia ring which is revealed when a little girl is shot in the streets of London, and on it goes....more
Jeannine Stewart
Jul 18, 2014 Jeannine Stewart rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeannine by: Angie Boyter
Interesting and sometimes eccentric characters, good plot and great narrative. Captures the feel of English village life. This was almost 4 stars for me but I felt that the plot dragged in a few spots. I will definately look into other books in this series.
Sue
Good story with surprises to the end but too long and too much back and forth and side stories for me. perhaps if i was into the characters?
Becky Rippel
This is probably one of the best Richard Jury books and I haven't found any that I haven't liked.
Sharon
A Richard jury mystery. As always Martha has lots of twists to a good story.
Angie
Wonderful writing as always but a few too many precocious odd children who are all alike.
Mary
Some books do not translate well to audio. The Martha Grimes series works very well in this format.
This story is extremely engaging, the clues are all set out for you, and the characters are wonderfully done. A little girl went missing in broad daylight 3 years earlier; soon after, her mother dies of natural causes. What happened to her? Why is a woman found dead on the estate where she lived? Are the events connected? And is her natural father involved? I really enjoyed it, and an revisiting ma...more
Mary
I was surprised to discover this Martha Grimes book on my shelf that I hadn't read. I am a big fan of her "pub" series. Although Grimes has the strolling style of a British mystery writer, I found this one to be well worth the stroll with all the usual wonderful characters but mostly Jury and Melrose. The way she organized her book with subtitles was a bit fascinating to me. And I discovered why in the very last chapter, guaranteed to fill your room with laughter. No cheating though or you won't...more
Carole
I enjoy the Richard Jury series of mysteries. Since Jury is a member of Scotland Yard, it makes sense that he is involved in the investigation of murders, as opposed to a random citizen who always seems to be stumbling across murders wherever he/she goes. Jury is a pretty down-to-earth guy--fairly serious, but decent, and with a sense of humor. There are some pretty quirky characters in the books who add touches of humor: Melrose Plant, Carol Ann, Sargaent Wiggins, to name a few. Still, I find t...more
Jean
Mistaken identity.
Cindy Grossi
Nothing earth-shaking in writing or plot. It was a nice read.
Mark
Enjoyable and quirky. Decided I should read Martha Grimes since she's a Pittsburgh native and since she names all her Richard Jury novels after English pubs.
Jz
It occurs to me that reading Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell has me picking other books apart for comparison.

This is not a CSI or Bones type of series. I enjoy this series much more if I keep that in mind. Ms. Grimes is a writer first, a detective second. Her books read beautifully. A real pleasure to savor the phraseology, and the stories are engrossing, if not as tightly wrapped up as others of the genre.

This is a very enjoyable read, for several reasons.
Gopi
Do not this crappy book.
Jane
What a killer opening for a book! I'm not spoiling it, but suggest you read the first couple paragraphs for yourself; it will capture you and suck you in, or turn you off.

The book is darker than many of the Richard Jury series, involving kidnapping and pedophilia. Jury connects the dots and the journey takes him to some seamy and sordid venues; along the way his own childhood memories are questioned.

A very satisfying read.
Jeanne
i have followed the richard jury series for a number of years and saw this book at a library sale. it didn't sound familiar and i read it this week . i remembered it in bits and pieces but not the ending so it was a good read for me.
i like the characters in this english mystery series and have now started the latest book .
if you like english mysteries with good characters (some a bit quirky and fun) i recommend this series.
I listened to this Jury mystery and found it to be just about perfect for my morning and afternoon commutes. It's been a while since I've read any of the Jury books and so occasionally I needed to wrack my brain when the text relied on the reader/listener supplying the background. But overall, quite an enjoyable experience. Paul Hecht was excellent at the male voices and mostly good at the female voices.
Doreen
Jan 14, 2009 Doreen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries, detective novels, British mystery
Stayed up late to finish this because I guessed the (correct) solution at pg 260, and didn't want to wait another day to see whether I was right or no. It was a pretty good book: the scene with Cody and the girls is very affecting and totally worth the price of admission, and the banter between Plant's friends (I really liked the goat-naming competition) realistic and witty.
Kayefex
I just love the Martha Grimes novels about Scotland Yard's Richard Jury. Each of the novels is actually named after a pub in England, and as you can see from the title of this book, there are some WEIRD pub names in England! They're well-crafted, easy to read and follow, and very entertaining. (It probably doesn't hurt that I identify so strongly with Mr. Jury!)
Kathy  Petersen
I will probably stop "reviewing" the Richard Jury/Melrose Plant stories unless one has something vastly different from the previous. That decision is NOT a criticism. Indeed, it's why I continue to read them, watch for a new one, and will start over when Grimes decides she finished with this enchanting pair, their pals, and their pubs.
Correen

I would have enjoyed this book more if I had read an earlier one in the Richard Jury series. I had some difficulty following the characters in audio format beginning with number 19. I liked Grimes's writing style and her pleasure in her characters. She especially did a good job characterizing her very young character.
Janet Meissner
I love the way Grimes has the friends of Jury and McAlvie all wrapped up in their investigations. Here we have the abdicated (but very rich) aristocrat) Melrose Plant assisting by masquerading as a gardener. Now that I know the cast, I'm planning to read the rest of the Richard Jury Mysteries.
Mariann Ryckman
Didn't know this was a series when i checked it out. In my opionion, there are too much miscellaneous and endless conversations that have nothing to do with the plot. I probably won't pursue this series. But the audio version kept my mind occupied while driving in the early morning.
Marty
I really liked this, however it did not know it was number 19 in a series. The book other than a few notes here and there stands alone. It is well written, and the story is interesting, but the end was a little flat for me. I like to know what happens to all when a story is over.
ebooks 1 2 Jun 18, 2014 07:41PM
  • A Place of Hiding (Inspector Lynley, #12)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)
  • Light Thickens (Roderick Alleyn, #32)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant #6)
  • Stagestruck (Peter Diamond, #11)
Martha Grimes is an American author of detective fiction.

She was born May 2 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to D.W., a city solicitor, and to June, who owned the Mountain Lake Hotel in Western Maryland where Martha and her brother spent much of their childhood. Grimes earned her B.A. and M.A. at the University of Maryland. She has taught at the University of Iowa, Frostburg State University, and Montg...more
More about Martha Grimes...
The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1) The Old Fox Deceiv'd (Richard Jury, #2) The Anodyne Necklace (Richard Jury, #3) The Blue Last (Richard Jury, #17) The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)