The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill

The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Sir Winston Churchill was the greatest orator of his day, the greatest statesman of his age, and the greatest Englishman of the 20th century. This enchanting collection gathers hundreds of his funniest and wickedest quips in tribute to the exhilarating wit of this great-hearted, infuriatingly conceited, wildly funny, and brilliantly talented Englishman.
Published October 1st 2001 by Michael O'Mara (first published 2001)

Andrew
Not much new in this book for anyone who's read books about or by Churchill in the past. Still, I liked the way the author organized the sections of the book. I often felt that something was missing that kept the reader from really getting a feel for Churchill. That being said, for someone with little knowledge of Churchill, the reader will find it full of interesting quips and anecdotes.
Isaac (Tower of Stories)
Winston Churchill was not only one of the greatest politicians and statesmen in history, he was also one of the wittiest. I can pick up this book and turn to any page and find some hilarious quote from Churchill and chuckle.
Anton Klink
I bought the book on the merits of the quotes on its dust jacket, hoping to find more of the same inside, but was sorely disappointed. Short, witty, quotable quotes were far and few between and most of the book consisted of anecdotal bumblings and short uninteresting excerpts from various speeches. Granted, many of the contemporaries mentioned in the stories were completely unknown to me and maybe I would have gotten more enjoyment out of the book had I been able to recognize them, but as such,...more
Mary
I picked this up at the wonderful Churchill War Rooms museum in London. It's a perfect titbit book.

Churchill was very quick witted and not only could he direct the wit himself he was a master of the riposte. This book is a collection of his quips, ripostes and witticisms. Gathered together in chapters. What surprised me was how much they could find to put into the book. Churchill's speech seems to have been very well documented. I suppose meeting the man himself would ensure it got a passage or...more
Jack Gibson
A delightful collection of quotes, stories and more. Churchill claimed his mastery of the English language through staying in the lower years at school, which lead to his real understanding of it.
To be a successful speaker, said Churchill, you first have to move yourself and your own soul, only then will you move others and indeed mankind. Very funny, engaging and true of the man. A great book to have on your bookshelf to dip in and out of every now and then.
سامي هاشم
Amusing quotes from churchill.
Tom Oman
It would be generous to say that even one in five of these quotes is worth remembering. I know that Winston Churchill was a brilliant man with a wicked sense of humour. But this book tries too hard with too little and it ends up coming across as a pretty watered down piece of work.

The handful of good quotes, however, are pure gold.
Mikey B.
Irreverent quotations – some quite funny like on Montgomery. One of my favourites which I also read in Churchill’s memoirs: “The maxim – Nothing avails but perfection – may be spelt P – A – R – A – L – Y – S – I – S”.
Douglas Laird

I picked up a copy at the museum store in London. Many a quotes are recorded in other books and articles, but isn't it fun to have them in one small book, altogether. Page after page of laughs.
Syafiqah
a treasure trove of Churchill's wittiest moments! i was reading this in the train and it took all my self-control to not chuckle and smile to myself as i read the words of the great man. Chickenham Palace!
Alan
An enjoyable short book containing extracts from the oratory and witticisms of a great statesman.
Sinead Fitzgibbon
While Churchill's quotes make for excellent (and entertaining) reading, the book was poorly compiled, at times repetitive, and badly edited.
Garry
I enjoyed this book as it gives me more insight into a man that I should no more about and I get a feel about him as a man and his humour.
Helen
Not the best of the Churchill books, I hoped for more witty quotes, but the greatest leader of our time always inspires me
Nadia
Very interesting. Strangely, thought I liked best was about not eating bird you've been socially acquainted to. :)
Matthew Moss
interesting pick up read. Could do with being referenced though.
Jeff
Not the best, but anything by Winston is worth reading.
Brian L.
Brian L. marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Izzy
Izzy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Suvra
Suvra marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014
  • Le catene di Eymerich
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
  • Speeches That Changed the World
  • Strategy: A History
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History
  • Einstein's Clocks, Poincaré's Maps: Empires of Time
  • When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order
  • Exposing the Real Che Guevara: And the Useful Idiots Who Idolize Him
  • Letters of a Nation
  • The National Dream: The Great Railway, 1871-1881
  • Auschwitz: A History
  • World War II: Behind Closed Doors; Stalin, the Nazis, and the West
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, FRS, PC (Can) was a British politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman, orator and strategist, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army. A prolific author, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953 for his own historical writings, "for his mastery...more
More about Winston Churchill...
The Gathering Storm (The Second World War, #1) Their Finest Hour (The Second World War, #2) The Second World War My Early Life, 1874-1904 The Birth of Britain (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #1)