Start by marking “The Classroom at the End of the Hall” as Want to Read:
The Classroom at the End of the Hall

The Classroom at the End of the Hall

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Strange things are happening in the classroom at the end of the hall, like a chalk dust genie that appears while the erasers are being cleaned, and the new art teacher who resembles a stick figure.
Published September 1st 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published May 2nd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Classroom at the End of the Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Classroom at the End of the Hall

Adelinep
Dec 03, 2010 Adelinep rated it really liked it
Rea K
Pop Sugar Book Challenge: Less than 150 pages

Loved this book when I was younger, and foolishly gave it away to some kids so that they could enjoy it. Found a new copy and I'm ecstatic.
Yeah. It's not super deep or anything, but it's one of those books that I really liked. It's about third graders, sort of on the lines of Wayside School as mentioned by another reviewer.
Laura Sulik
I found this book on sale at a local bookstore, and I thought well, what the heck. I have to read 30-40 children's books for my elementary education class, and I am seriously lacking in stories for my intermediate readers (grades 3-5). Wow, I lucked out when I picked up this book, much to my surprise, it was a highly enjoyable read.

I think this book is good for middle to older primary readers in 1st or 2nd grade up through 4th grade. It's almost hard to categorize this book. Each chapter is its
Amanda
Nov 06, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a read-aloud for my class and they loved it!
Victoriasaravia
This book was an okay book. It is a book made out of short stories. All of the stories are humorous and contain a valuable lesson for kids. All the children have a problem, they are either messy, can't read...etc. However they all find a way to solved their problem in a funny yet educational way. The characters are a lot of fun, and it is nice to learn as you read. Douglas Evans has a nice style of writing, he makes his characters feel exactly how YOU would feel if you were in their situation. T ...more
Anishkajoab
Classroom at the end of the hall was a funny and a meaningful book. There was a lesson after every chapter. Like in the new art teacher Charlie used to hate art until he realised that the things he drew actually showed up on real stick figure people. So then he started making an effort to make these stick figure people look good. If he drew big huge square ears on his stick figure person the ears would show on Miss Tra-la-la his new stick figure art teacher. This gave me a lesson that you try yo ...more
Ellen
Dec 22, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evans' The Classroom at the End of the Hall is yet another in the oddball school days genre. It is sure to be welcomed by Wayside School and Weird School Days fans, which was why I picked it up for my students. In this book, the reader is introduced to an unusual classroom at Walter T. Melon School. Each chapter introduces an unusual member of the class or some off-the-wall character like the Chalk Dust Genie or the Messy Desk Pest. I think this would be a wonderful read-aloud. Kids will certain ...more
Lisa Tortorello
Jun 27, 2013 Lisa Tortorello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Classroom at the End of the Hall by Douglas Evans is a fun chapter book that will even get reluctant readers to keep turning the pages. As a teacher, I saw some of my students in these characters and I am sure children will be able to identify with them as well. Whether they see themselves or someone in their class, there is enough fun, exaggeration, and peculiarities in the room at the end of the hall for everyone. This story would be great as a read aloud too!
Sue
Jan 02, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a cute book - definitely for our lower level readers in the junior high. i liked how each chapter dealt with a student, their issues and how those issues were overcome. nice and short - which is also what some of our students like.
Hilarie
Jack enjoyed this one more than I did. It kept him interested since each chapter is a new story focusing on a character in the classroom. I thought it was ok...It was nice that each story had a life lesson.
Bennett
A great quirky and funny look at the fears and imagination that so many elementary students experience. Somewhat in the same vein as "Sideways Stories" but with a cast of characters more easy for kids to identify with.
Lindsey
Be careful what you wish for. This book is full of short stories about kids who wish for things that come true, and in the end things turn out a lot worse. I thought these stories were very humorous. I think this book would be perfect for kids in grades 3-5.
Lucas
Dec 14, 2015 Lucas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I bought this book for each of my students because of some write-ups I found that said the book was 'hilarious' from start to finish. While I didn't find it all that funny, hopefully my students will.
Katie Carlisle
May 06, 2014 Katie Carlisle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-book, own-it
Each chapter of this story is a different story from a student in the classroom at the end of the hall. Love that one story can show different author perspectives!
Gray
May 27, 2011 Gray rated it it was amazing
This book has a mystery in it. But it is not scary. The mystery is that someone is talking above the classroom. They have figure out who it is!
Bobbi Gomez
I use this book to teach and reteach fiction summaries throughout the year. Each chapter is a separate story, and my students easily connect to the characters.
Anthony Sementilli
PROS
Engaging, very pro-teacher/pro-learning stories that any middle schooler should read. One of my third grade year favorites.

CONS
None come to mind

OVERALL
Great for kids
LauraW
This is a book of vignettes about kids in a 3rd grade classroom. The stories are clever and the book would make a decent read-aloud. The endings are a little too perfect, but kids like that.
Room 123
May 02, 2012 Room 123 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you like weird and magical books? The Classroom at the End of the Hall is a great book. It has many stories in it. They are short. I love this book!

By Penelope
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 20776 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.6 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Lauren
Jul 05, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this from a teacher when I was a kid. I used to imagine that I would do school work during the summer, but never did. But the year I received this as a gift I ended up reading it.
Alta
Jun 03, 2015 Alta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chidren-read
Short, fun collection of imaginitive short stories that encourage good classroom behavior through whimsical fiction.
Paul
Oct 09, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was very boring because it's just something going on, until I got deeper in the book it got more intresting
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2010
Kerry Parker
Kerry Parker rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
faigy
faigy rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Redgiouna
Redgiouna rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Hani Al jamal jr.
Hani Al jamal jr. rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014
  • A Dream Come True (Magic Pony, #1)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • The Gold-Threaded Dress
  • Class Clown
  • Kid Power
  • Kokopelli's Flute
  • Robinhound Crusoe (The Adventures of Wishbone #4)
  • Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend
  • Stealing Thunder
  • Be a Wolf! (Adventures of Wishbone, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeepers' Secret Cave (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids Super Special, #3)
  • Five True Dog Stories (Little Apple)
  • Miracle at the Plate
  • Song Lee And The "I Hate You" Notes
  • The Case of the School Ghost (The Buddy Files, #6)
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • The Hawk Bandits of Tarkoom (The Secrets of Droon, #11)
Douglas Evans lives in Berkeley, California. He grew up in Ohio and Minnesota and taught for many years in various settings ranging from a small logging town in Oregon, to a wealthy suburb in California; a private school in Berkeley, to international schools in Helsinki and London. Now he is a full-time writer of books, stories, plays, and screenplays for children. Doug spends a good part of each ...more
More about Douglas Evans...