Paul: His Story

Paul: His Story

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
For someone who has exercised such a profound influence on Christian theology, Paul remains a shadowy figure behind the barrier of his complicated and difficult biblical letters. Debates about his meaning have deflected attention from his personality, yet his personality is an important key to understanding his theological ideas. This book redresses the balance. Jerome Mur...more
Published May 6th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 18th 2004)

Doug
I quite enjoyed this history of paul. While it's told from a most catholic background, I could still enjoy the history while trying to tease out the religious bias(?). I suppose for me, most of all this made Paul into a man instead of a semi-mystical character. I could come away with a 'picture' of someone striving at his utmost to share the gospel message while still plagued by his own shortcomings. I recommend it.
Shawn
*Yawn*
It's thorough and speculative. It's as much about how the timeline could have worked based on how Paul might have seen things. Helps in understanding Paul's mindset, but often overlooks the influence of the Holy Spirit.
Graham
This book book occupies a fairly unique place in works of its kind, it is part history and part historical narrative. The narrative is based on a large part on the authors earlier work, Paul: A Critical Life, and the two books should almost be read as companion volumes. Where it succeeds is in enfleshing Paul, and in the process getting the reader to ask questions that they would not otherwise have asked.
Kevin
A Great Introduction to Paul's life and letters. Before reading this I didn't have much understanding of how Paul's life and personality influenced his writings. Murphy O'Connor does a great job of bringing out the life of Paul based on the evidence that has survived and making his personality, theology and concerns come to life. A great read.
Kaia
This book really needs a second read through, and you need a good basic knowledge about Paul in order to get much out of it. I had a hard time sticking with it, seemed to jump around a bit but I did learn a few things and that was the point.
Roger
La mejor biografía que he leído sobre la vida de Pablo de Tarso.
Rick Edwards
A solid short study of Paul's life and work.
Daune Robinson Calovini
Daune Robinson Calovini marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Abraham Nellickal
Abraham Nellickal marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Paul
Paul added it
Jul 08, 2012
The Holy Land: An Oxford Archaeological Guide from Earliest Times to 1700 St. Paul's Corinth: Texts and Archaeology Paul: A Critical Life St. Paul's Ephesus: Texts and Archaeology Paul the Letter-Writer: His World, His Options, His Skills