Start by marking “Paul: His Story” as Want to Read:
Paul: His Story

Paul: His Story

For someone who has exercised such a profound influence on Christian theology, Paul remains a shadowy figure behind the barrier of his complicated and difficult biblical letters. Debates about his meaning have deflected attention from his personality, yet his personality is an important key to understanding his theological ideas. This book redresses the balance. Jerome Mur ...more
Published March 18th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul

Doug
Dec 11, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this history of paul. While it's told from a most catholic background, I could still enjoy the history while trying to tease out the religious bias(?). I suppose for me, most of all this made Paul into a man instead of a semi-mystical character. I could come away with a 'picture' of someone striving at his utmost to share the gospel message while still plagued by his own shortcomings. I recommend it.
Shawn
Oct 17, 2012 Shawn rated it it was ok
*Yawn*
It's thorough and speculative. It's as much about how the timeline could have worked based on how Paul might have seen things. Helps in understanding Paul's mindset, but often overlooks the influence of the Holy Spirit.
Matthew Harris
Great insight to understand the travels of Paul and making sense of all of the names of people mentioned in the Pauine Epistles. I don't buy all of Murphy-O'Connor's theories and there is much speculation, but it does tie Paul's epistles to acts and then bridges the gaps where history is non extant. I was surprised on how readable it was. I was also impressed on some of the highlights about Paul's origins as a Galilean sold into slavery with his family and moved to Tarsus and the high probabilit ...more
Graham
Nov 14, 2013 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book book occupies a fairly unique place in works of its kind, it is part history and part historical narrative. The narrative is based on a large part on the authors earlier work, Paul: A Critical Life, and the two books should almost be read as companion volumes. Where it succeeds is in enfleshing Paul, and in the process getting the reader to ask questions that they would not otherwise have asked.
Kevin
Jun 22, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Introduction to Paul's life and letters. Before reading this I didn't have much understanding of how Paul's life and personality influenced his writings. Murphy O'Connor does a great job of bringing out the life of Paul based on the evidence that has survived and making his personality, theology and concerns come to life. A great read.
Kaia
Jun 01, 2014 Kaia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book really needs a second read through, and you need a good basic knowledge about Paul in order to get much out of it. I had a hard time sticking with it, seemed to jump around a bit but I did learn a few things and that was the point.
Dutter
Jun 29, 2016 Dutter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had Fr. Jerome Murphy-O'Connor, O.P. as a professor one summer (at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago) and found him fascinating! When I read his books, I hear his voice. This book is a thorough study of the history of the St. Paul, combined with a narrative account of his life.
Michelle Daniels
Michelle Daniels rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Jim D
Jim D rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Ben Horseman
Ben Horseman rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Barbara J Martinez
Barbara J Martinez rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Bobbie N
Bobbie N rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Darrick Taylor
Darrick Taylor rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2007
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2009
pcalu
pcalu rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Darren
Darren rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Arthur
Arthur rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2010
Stephen M. Matuszak
Stephen M. Matuszak rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Gilbert michaud
Gilbert michaud rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Brian Kurt
Brian Kurt rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
John Crotty
John Crotty rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2017
Bianka
Bianka rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Calvin
Calvin rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
William Jamison
William Jamison rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Tom Arbaugh
Tom Arbaugh rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2017