Start by marking “Lessons from a Sheep Dog” as Want to Read:
Lessons from a Sheep Dog

Lessons from a Sheep Dog

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  37 reviews
What you see is not always what you get - and this true story of a man and his dog is no exception. Woven just under the surface of this simple parable, Keller presents profound spiritual truth. It is the story of Lass, a worthless animal thought to be untrainable, who becomes a magnificent and valuable sheepdog - not terribly unlike how God's love can transform our worst...more
Published September 9th 2002 by W Publishing Group (first published November 30th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons from a Sheep Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons from a Sheep Dog

Donna Hunt
Such a great story and great lessons about Christ learnt by a man's faithful dog.
Madelle
This beautifully written short book by Phillip Keller compares his relationship with his rescue sheepdog to our relationship with Jesus Christ. He pulls many parallels together in a simple, easy to read style. He talks about his relationship with the Savior which was quite fractured for sometime and how he was able to restore and renew that as he worked to train his beloved dog.
Therese
The fact that it had a dog on the cover is what initially drew my attention but it is the most beautiful analogy of why God wins our trust, teaches us and ultimately brings us into a relationship with Himself to the point where we become co workers with Him in His mission.
Christian
Very easy and lots of fun to see how Mr. Keller draws on examples from the life of his dog to give a better idea of our relationship with the Lord.
Nonie
Charming little book about what one man learned about how to relate to Jesus Christ though his newly acquired helper, his sheep dog Lass.
Janet
slightly repetitive near the end but some great stories.
“Looking back across those precious years at Fairwinds, I was learning from Lass what it was that Christ, my Great Shepherd, wanted to do with me in His fields as His coworker.” This quotation epitomizes Phillip Keller’s “Lessons From a Sheepdog: A True Story of Tranforming Love.” This short but succinct work of nonfiction—complete with several black-and-white illustrations—chronicles the story of Lass, an abused border collie that the author rescued, and the ensuing friendship that grew between...more
Bonnie
This is a great little book for inspirational reading. Keller is a good writer both in his use and choice of words and his insight. Though the book is short and can easily be read in one sitting, I think it is better read a chapter at a time as a devotional book, giving time to ponder his insights and questions. He does a lot of repeating, which serves to emphasize his points, but taken at one time it doesn't give strength to the writing that it could if read over a number of days instead of in...more
Ann
A follow-up from Kellers' "A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23", this book takes the spiritual & practical lessons he learned from his devoted Border collie sheep dogs. A good sheep dog does the work of multiple sheep-hands, thus they are invaluable to a shepherd. Kellers' explanations of love, training, discipline and more love necessitated in developing a sheep dog are metaphors of God's work in our lives. Excellent. (Since I'm on my 5th Border collie, I doubly loved these books. They are a great...more
R.J. Kottke
I have this book in my library. A simple, but very profound message. I also enjoyed the author's "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23."
Poiema
From the author who is best known for his book A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, this is a beautiful picture book about a dog who needs remediation because of previous abuse. The new master exercises patience and discipline to bring the dog round to trust and usefulness in tending sheep. The lessons are readily applicable; a child around 5th or 6th grade can appreciate the underlying principles. We used this book as a bedtime devotional, spreading it out a little at a time. I like that the spiritual...more
Carol
So Great . a Must Read . I have to find other books by this Author!
Cathy
Great book - very encouraging.
(don't own - borrowed from PHUBC)
Phubc
Michelle
I read the back cover of this book, which included the word "spiritual." Knowing nothing about this author I picked it up because I love working border collies. What a horrible mistake that was! The entire book was NOT about Lass or her journey from scared city dog to happy working dog (in fact, there was little said about this). It was a bunch of Christian progaganda BS about not having free will. I regret spending the money on this horrible book.
Stinger
Simple but powerful in it's explanation of our relationship to God, this book is a great read. I loved the intertwining of the story of the author's relationship with Lass and the lessons he drew from that relationship to how we should relate to our Great Good Shepherd. Full of real life illustrations and practical applications, this short read was eagerly listened to by my wife and kiddos at the dinner table. I enjoyed it thoroughly!
Jennifer Priester
I really didn't like this book mainly because it seems to focus more on religion that it does the dog. The author's mentioning of his beliefs and other religion elements take up at least half, if not more, of the book and it is a short book to begin with. If you are religous this book would probably get a high review because the part about the dog is okay, but it doesn't feel as if the book is really focusing on the dog, at least to me.
Mahmoud Adly Ezzat
The book is not that 'spiritual', but more like a Christian lecture. The story of Lass is too short, and the rest of the book is about projecting each part of the story on the relation between God/christ and us. The messages are very direct like a science book. But I have to admit, it has some nice examples, but for a Christian. Why isn't this mentioned inthe description at the back?!
Jeri P.
This story is the backdrop of a rags to riches story of a pup that was battered to becoming a servant of his master. A very poignant story of how we are to see our relationship with the Lord. Excellent allegory and word pictures given.
Thomas Nye
I loved this book! A very short enjoyable read. I was a little disappointed that the story line began to be repeated early on, but found the author's purpose was to drive the point home. Mostly, I was sad that it was so short because I loved it.
Amy
My son and I read and discussed this book as part of his Bible studies. Well done, engaging and Keller did a perfect job in relating the lessons to biblical purposes. Our only complaint was that there was a bit of repetition.
Ursula Gorman
A sweet, endearing read. Good for everyday life lessons. Great for dog lovers, Christians and those that enjoy an uplifting story of overcoming adversity and strengthening faith.
Mark
Very inspiring.

Written in a style that must have been popular in the eighties.

Like a lot of one sentence paragraphs.

To add drama, presumably.
Kathy
Good book with great lessons
Thomas Kinsfather
Encouraging lessons on devotion to Christ. Keller writes as a committed layman who loves Jesus, nature, and writing. A nice combination.
Dawester
Real life parable about the life of a border collie named Lass. This is a powerful analogy to life based on that of Lass.
Christopher
Good quick read. Faith can be simple however this book seemed to over simplify in places what can also be quite complex.
Malinda F.
another great and short read by a favorite author of mine! thoroughly enjoyable!
Read1000books
This is one of the best by my favorite inspirational writer.
Gary
Short, concise, and exhilarating! Read it.
  • Coming Home
  • The Attributes of God
  • Love on the Range
  • The Institutes of Biblical Law (Volume One)
  • Home-Making
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Power Through Prayer
  • The Social Lives of Dogs
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • The Puritan Dilemma: The Story of John Winthrop
  • Does God Control Everything? (Crucial Questions, #14)
  • A Dog Walks Into a Nursing Home: Lessons in the Good Life from an Unlikely Teacher
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Weekends with Daisy
  • Far as the Curse Is Found: The Covenant Story of Redemption
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 A Gardener Looks at the Fruits of the Spirit The Shepherd Trilogy A Layman Looks at the Lord's Prayer The Lord Is My Shepherd: Reflections from a Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller