Start by marking “Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep: Breeds, Care, Facilities” as Want to Read:
Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep: Breeds, Care, Facilities

Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep: Breeds, Care, Facilities

Storey’s Guide to Raising Sheep has earned the praise and trust of sheep farmers around the world, with its in-depth coverage of breed selection, lambing, feeding, housing, pasture maintenance, and disease prevention and treatment.

The new 4th edition, now with 253,000 copies in print, contains new and expanded features:
• Guidelines for organic certification
• Tips and advic
Published November 30th 2000 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published November 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep

Janet
Jan 18, 2016 Janet rated it it was ok
Shelves: homesteading
Unbelievably long-winded, surprisingly incomplete for as wordy as it is! With this type of book, charts, drawings, & pictures are all MUCH more helpful than long-winded paragraphs.

For example, several paragraphs are written about each of 62 breeds of sheep. However, the information in the paragraphs written about each breed is all over the place. For example, for one breed of sheep, it will state that the breed grows wool as well as hair, give some background on the breed (not at all helpfu
Stephen
Nov 27, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: agriculture
Outstanding book for the beginner and beyond. A direct descendant of Paula Simmons's 1976 book Raising Sheep the Modern Way. Updated and Revised Edition. Especially strong in choosing among breeds. Has a chapter on showing. Less technical than Ron Parker's The Sheep Book, to which I give a slight edge overall. At least one of these two is a must for the beginning American shepherd. Have them both if you can.
Fernleaf
A thorough guide to keeping sheep on any scale, but especially helpful for the small homesteader. Discusses raising sheep for wool and meat.
Amber
Jun 03, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I feel like I have a good grasp on how to take care of sheep (I just bought 4 lambs a week ago). I wish there was more info on an organic approach - there was pretty much nothing about how to raise sheep without antibiotics and wormers. It was also unclear whether it's *really* ok to feed sheep corn or whether people just do it anyway to make them fat. If you are about to get some sheep for the first time I would say this book is an awesome place to start for info.
Krista McCracken
Jan 05, 2014 Krista McCracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't know a whole lot about sheep prior to reading this book. It provided a detailed and well paced introduction to the basics of sheep and their care. The book includes a number of well done diagrams and examples which help explain hands on tasks that are hard to visualize from theory.
Anna
Oct 02, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Even though we (probably) aren't getting sheep anytime soon, I'm hanging onto this book because it is chock full of in depth information. I'm never sure what to expect from non-fiction, but this particular volume is top notch, clearly benefiting from multiple rewrites by several authors to create a well-rounded beginner and intermediate guide to sheep care.
Andre
Sep 07, 2010 Andre rated it really liked it
Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep is a fantastic entry book into the world of sheep farming. The authors pulled together a handbook filled with practical advice and its written from a position that makes it accessable to a layman. I'm not sure if I will ever become a sheep farmer, but if I do I believe this book will be an oft-referenced guide on my bookshelf.
Danielle
Jan 23, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
I loved the design of this book - everything seemed quite practical in terms of form and content. I don't have any experience with raising sheep - I guess I picked this up simply out of curiosity. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in raising sheep on a large or small scale.
Matthew
Feb 02, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farming
Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep is a good book for beginners. For someone like myself, a life long farmer but new to sheep, I found it a little lacking. Don't think I didn't learn anything. I did learn a good deal. I was just hoping for more.
Patricia
May 17, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular reference for all things sheep. I'm sure I'll be using it for years and years to come.
This was quite informative. So informative, in fact, that it's nearly scared me off sheep.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 31, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
This is a discussion of various domestic sheep breeds and the skills necessary to raise them.
Me2
Mar 13, 2009 Me2 rated it really liked it
A good introduction into sheep raising, with enough detail to get you started.
Blarneygod
Apr 09, 2014 Blarneygod rated it really liked it
This book was very informative and interesting to read.
Gabrielle W.
Feb 16, 2013 Gabrielle W. rated it liked it
Shelves: country-living
A basic guide on raising sheep.
Shannon
Oct 18, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Carson Stuart
Carson Stuart rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Bruce Mackay
Bruce Mackay is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
Matthew Dishman
Matthew Dishman marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Lin Anderson
Lin Anderson rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Milestegaas
Milestegaas rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Meg S
Meg S marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Kyle Gibbs
Kyle Gibbs rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
  • Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits
  • Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health
  • Starting & Running Your Own Small Farm Business: Small-Farm Success Stories * Financial Assistance Sources * Marketing & Selling Ideas * Business Plan Forms & Documents
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardisst
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Making Home: Adapting Our Homes and Our Lives to Settle in Place
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farm Enterprise
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
A respected authority on sheep raising, Paula Simmons has written many articles and books, including Storey’s Guide to Raising Sheep (with Carol Ekarius) and Your Sheep (with Darrell L. Salsbury). Simmons also lectures and conducts workshops across North America on raising sheep and spinning wool for a living. Simmons and her husband have been raising and shearing sheep, and spinning and weaving w ...more
More about Paula Simmons...