Start by marking “The Story of Blue Elk” as Want to Read:
The Story of Blue Elk

The Story of Blue Elk

Published April 20th 1998 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Blue Elk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Blue Elk

NSAndrew Liebergen
Oct 22, 2009 NSAndrew Liebergen rated it liked it
Shelves: traditional
In this traditional Native American tale, a mute boy is spiritually linked to a magnificent elk from the day of the boy's birth. The two are companions until the elk is killed, leaving the boy a precious bequest: its antlers, around which a cedar tree grows. From that wood the boy, now a young man, makes a beautiful flute, on which he plays to woo his true love. Luminous illustrations accompany the moving story of a boy whose animal spirit brother helps him find his voice and fulfill his ...more
Nicole S.
May 04, 2015 Nicole S. rated it really liked it
The pueblo people welcomed a baby boy born to the medicine man. The magic elk wandered into the village to spread pollen on its path. The elk came to the baby boy's home to honor him. His name was Blue Elk who couldn't utter a word-speechless. Blue Elk fell in love with a twelve year old girl, Sunflower. The place where the elk died grew into a historical tree where Blue Elk felt peace and home. He loved to play the flute, a gifted power from the great elk to his beloved Sunflower.
Deanna
Jul 20, 2014 Deanna rated it it was amazing
With a strong Indian presence in our home I felt this was a great traditional story. Simple enough that my 3rd grader and Kindergarten students could understand. The pictures were beautifully drawn as well. We enjoyed it immensely and would read it again.
Renee
I like this book because it told a fairy-tale from another culture, the Native American. This was a very enjoyable story and very interesting. I know the students would enjoy reading this, this will peak many interests and a lot of questions.
Amydeichert
Jan 23, 2013 Amydeichert rated it really liked it
This book does not say it is non-fiction, but I put it in that category because I think it fits well there and could easily be classified on that shelf. This book told a story about a boy growing up and the troubles he faced. I really enjoyed this book! I would let anyone borrow it!
S10_Abby
Jul 12, 2010 S10_Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: native-american
Grade Level: 2-5
Trent Zelazny
Trent Zelazny rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2012
Haley Baker
Haley Baker marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Krissy
Krissy added it
Mar 22, 2013
Sarah added it
Oct 25, 2013
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Lucka Konečná
Lucka Konečná marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Taylor King
Taylor King marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Tanya Maksymiw
Tanya Maksymiw marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016