Start by marking “Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
At last?a sophisticated wardrobe guide for men from a respected authority, Details magazine, offering head-to-toe advice for choosing the right look, the right fit, and the right style for every situation, from boardroom pitches to casual Saturday nights.

Each month, Details magazine keeps hundreds of thousands of men up-to-date on the most current trends and tips for loo
Published October 18th 2007 by Avery

Michael
Nov 20, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
This book covers the basics of men's clothing, giving specific style pointers and visual guides for pairing and matching items into a cohesive look, along with advice for judging proper fit.

It's accessible, with plenty of pictures. It provides plenty of information on different classes of an article of clothing, such as different styles of casual shirts, but it's also not comprehensive. For instance, the chapter on dress shirts didn't really delve into the difference between a casual shirt with
Nicholas
Oct 27, 2008 Nicholas rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Style fools
Essentially a book which will save you from having to ever buy a Details magazine ever again. IF of course you ever bought them in first place. The book contains any advice you will ever receive, or need, on how to dress and how not to dress, wrapped up in quick to read, well illustrated (photographed actually) chapters, with sophisticated looking models practicing their best 'staring off into the distance' or 'concentrating real hard on something' looks.

The core value of this collection of fact
Minna
Aug 02, 2013 Minna rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The styles included are primarily so classic that I was surprised when a card fell out for a subscription to Details magazine, expiring in 2004. I guess unlike women's fashion, men's fashion doesn't alter as much (or at least, not as fast).

I could see my dad wearing a lot of the clothes pictured, and in fact he does own many of the recommended items (in his own color choices and brands, of course). That being sad, (a) my dad has money, (b) my dad is an attorney and needs to dress the part, (c)
Peter
Apr 05, 2010 Peter rated it liked it
Accessible and easy-to-use reference on men's clothing. Where the book excels is how jeans, slacks, shirts, sportcoats, suits, etc. should fit, with attention given to hemlines, sleeves, necks, torsos, etc., and if you should resort to a tailor. If all you're going to wear are jeans and tee-shirts, they might as well fit right, and they might as well look good.

Also useful is which clothes a man should wear...if you move in the same social circles as author Daniel Peres. Which I don't. I don't kn
Clint
Feb 09, 2015 Clint rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this book three stars because of some of the stupid snark and bits of advice that only skimmed the surface, but I have to admit I learned a bit and mostly got what I was looking for. Two page spreads of lists dot this book, and they are worthless. Rules of Style sections featuring advice from fashion heavyweights are entertaining and contradictory -- which I thought was a nice touch, actually. For all the rules of style, fashion is still largely a matter of personal taste. One o ...more
Ivan Natividad
Apr 06, 2014 Ivan Natividad rated it liked it
Its an OK book to improve your style but most wardrobe that recommends by this book are very expensive but it does give you a good idea on what style is best for certain situations.
Kevin Kosters
May 29, 2016 Kevin Kosters rated it liked it
Information contained is easily found for free on a variety of websites. Having a physical copy may be preferable to some, but I found this book to be unnecessary to keep around.
Loren
Jun 19, 2014 Loren rated it liked it
Shelves: self-development
There are some decent pointers amidst the overly strict nature of the curt advice told in this book. The author comes off as a bit of a prick, which makes for an unpleasant read.
Drew Stiling
May 06, 2015 Drew Stiling rated it it was amazing
Great advice! A must keep in the library for every man ... and every woman interested in dressing their man well!
Mari
Sep 20, 2008 Mari rated it really liked it
Got this to try to elucidate my honey that being cool can also mean looking cool--that there's no shame in knowing how to dress nicely for all occasions. Pretty cool the way it allows for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced approaches to the same clothing item; i.e. if you're just starting out wearing ties, stick to some tried-and-true basics about which patterns cover the most occasions, etc. If you're advanced, you're welcomed to try some dashing leaps out of the box.

Easy to grasp. Funny intr
Serri
Dec 26, 2008 Serri rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-gifts
My husband recently read this book and found it entertaining and insightful. The tone is fun and a bit sarcastic, definitely written for a male audience. The book gives the classic dos and don'ts with lots of pictures, as well as what men should have as the basics in their wardrobe. So if you are looking for something fun and informative for your husband, or favorite nephew, uncle, cousin, etc., this book will not disappoint.
Kunal
Sep 06, 2012 Kunal rated it liked it
Good book about how to dress well whether it be for work / at home / or in casual environments. Discusses everything from socks to shirts to ties etc. and is a great read for anyone thinking about their wardrobe. Also good to read through as you think about different styles of clothes you want to pull off and is a book that I would reference every year or so to refresh your wardrobe
Dean
Mar 25, 2012 Dean rated it liked it
A simple and colorful guide to fashion and style basics. The book is nicely broken up into short specific chapters such as 'shoes' or 'shirts.' There are plenty of glossy, full color photos that makes this easy to read through and my only gripe is the original publication date makes this just a tad bit dated.
Austin Martin
Dec 22, 2013 Austin Martin rated it really liked it
It was a very good book. It had a lot of very good tips and some great ideas on how to dress. I saw a few things in the book that I actually liked and wanted even though I already have plenty of everything: shirts, shoes, pants, jeans, and socks. I would like to look through this book again if I get the chance.
Zumazoum
Nov 10, 2010 Zumazoum rated it liked it
It's pretty decent if you have questions about anything more than casual wear. Most of the clothes however are not exactly my style, and weren't all that helpful (to me anyways) on working to develop a new style, or at least one that doesn't age me 10 years or looking insufferably preppy.
Julian Pecenco
Sep 04, 2012 Julian Pecenco rated it liked it
A nice overview of men's clothing and building a wardrobe, and the full color photos are great, but due to all the photos, there's not a whole lot of content. A good supplement to other books and websites, but a bit thin content-wise to stand on it's own.
Lyric
Apr 18, 2011 Lyric rated it it was amazing
This book has taught me so much about men's fashion. I feel like a new man. As a child, I didn't have a strong male role model to teach me how a gentleman should dress. After reading this book, I feel confident about going to buy clothes.
Rashidul K
Nov 20, 2013 Rashidul K rated it really liked it
Slightly outdated (as for year 2013) but the basics are there (lots n lots) . Would love to read about the latest trends in the future. As for this edition, it is still something that every man should know read.
F. John
Jun 19, 2011 F. John rated it liked it
I skimmed this work. It's a reference work concerning men's fashion. It has good pictures. And it explains some style principles. I think it will be helpful in building a wardrobe.
Matt
Dec 03, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sartorialists
I loved this book. So what if it's mostly pictures.

Very helpful, useful advice. Any guy that wants to dress himself well should read this.
Michael
Jan 23, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is the most comprehensive, modern, and sensible guide to style I've read. Highly recommended.
Mckinley
Mar 18, 2012 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fashion
Brought home to look at with D. Seems like men's wardrobe is easier - fewer pieces for starters.
Larry
Jan 02, 2012 Larry rated it really liked it
Fun, well-designed intro to current (and pragmatic) men's clothing. Great pictures.
Hussain Al-essa
Feb 25, 2011 Hussain Al-essa rated it really liked it
This book has made my wardrobe more exciting! And it did made me look good with it.
Hiatt Zhao
May 17, 2014 Hiatt Zhao rated it really liked it
A pretty good guide on men's clothing.
Andre Garrigo
Aug 27, 2011 Andre Garrigo rated it it was amazing
This book taught me how to dress well. Best book on men's fashion IMHO
Ces_career_library
Mar 26, 2009 Ces_career_library rated it it was amazing
A great resource for guys on what to wear in any situation.
Matthew Berkshire
Dec 14, 2012 Matthew Berkshire rated it it was ok
Some helpful things, but extremely basic in all regards.
Philip
Jan 23, 2008 Philip rated it really liked it
A man's gotta know things.....this does it!
Drew
Apr 16, 2009 Drew rated it really liked it
Fantastic, easy read, good advice.
  • Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
  • Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good
  • Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress
  • Off the Cuff
  • AskMen.com Presents The Style Bible: The 11 Rules for Building a Complete and Timeless Wardrobe
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style
  • How to Be a Gentleman: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
  • Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It
  • Show Me How
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth In 5 Minutes Or Less In Any Conversation Or Situation
  • Violin for Dummies
  • How to Become an Alpha Male
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Merde!: The Real French You Were Never Taught at School