Start by marking “Pretty Like Us” as Want to Read:
Pretty Like Us

Pretty Like Us

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  35 reviews
For Beauty McElwrath, the first day of sixth grade in small-town Green River, Florida, proves to be exactly the catastrophe she expected. Beauty is acutely shy, and she s sure she s doomed to be a social outcast for yet another school year. It doesn t help that her mother is dating her teacher!

But then she meets Alane Shriver, a new student who suffers from progeria, a rar
Published October 1st 2008 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Like Us

Kim
Name: Kim Deniker

APA Citation: Williams, C. (2008). Pretty like us. Atlanta: Peachtree.

Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction

Literary Prizes and Award include Kirkus Reviews, 9/1/2008; Publisher’s Weekly, 9/29/2008; School Library Journal, 1/1/2009; Library Media Connection, 3/1/2009; and Horn Book, 4/1/2009.

Format: Print

Selection Process: Pretty Like Us was chosen for wining many literary awards including the 2009 Language Arts Honor Book for Grades 7-12 by the Society of School Librarians Inter
Kami
I LOVED this book and it's message. Carol Lynch Williams is such a great storyteller. Her books always make me love the characters and make me want to be their friends.

This book has an incredible message. The best part of the book is the great moral goodness. I love that Beauty's family drills good morals in her. I wish there were more parents like that in the world.

I loved Beauty's reaction to Alane's appearance. I think it is spot on what a real 12 year old would think. She was a little scare
Aaron
Beauty McElwrath, a sixth grader, has always been a bit of a loner at school. For some reason, she has always struggled to make friends. In fact, until this past summer, her only friend was a boy named Cody. He was sort of scared off by the fact that she has started to develop breasts, and he started to feel more for her than friendship. To make matters worse, her mother is dating her new teacher.

As the school year begins, the students learn that they will be joined by a new student, a girl name
Kenyatta
Beauty McElwrath, seems to be anything but what her name suggest. As she enters sixth grade, she already knows that she will remain an outcast like all the other years of school. The fact that her 26 year old mom is dating her teacher doesn’t seem to be helping the situation. However when Alane Shriver , a twelve year old girl who suffers from the aging disease progeria, shows up, Beauty is encouraged to befriend her by all the important people in her life, but Beauty sees another opportunity. S ...more
Katie
Pretty Like Us is a story about two very different girls finding friendship against all odds. The main character, Beauty, has been constantly bullied all her life at school. She has never had a true friend other than her mother and grandmother. She was also traumatized at the loss of her great-grandmother when she was little due to drowning in a river. Beauty meets Alane, a new girl at school, who has a terminal disease that makes her appear to be an old woman. Beauty has a hard time deciding if ...more
Jackie
This the story about being a friend when it isn't the easiest thing to do. Beauty McElwarth, 12, 'lost' her best and only friend when she started to grow up and develop during the summer before sixth grade. Cody suddenly became embarrassed and ditched her, even though they had known each other their whole lives. Beauty, painfully shy, had no friends...that is until a new student came into the classroom. Alane Shriver is different though. She has progeria, a life threatening aging disease that ma ...more
Lydia LaPutka
I checked out this book along with another she wrote, The Chosen One, because she is a local author. I was disappointed because this could have been a great story, maybe along the lines of Star Girl, but the author did not develop her characters and their relationships very well. To have just barely met this new friend and then they go out for a drive when she is underage? Preposterous. The trust went from 0 to 100 mph which does not happen, even in friendships with 6th graders. Then, when suppo ...more
Charlynn
All her life, Beauty McElwrath, a shy outcast, has been told by her family that 'pretty is as pretty diz,' but it's not until she meets Alane, a girl her age who suffers from progeria – a rapid aging disorder – that she finally learns what the motto actually means: being pretty isn't about one's looks; it's about what one does. Not only does Beauty have to contend with a less than inconspicuous name and social awkwardness, but her mother was only fourteen when she had Beauty, and her family stru ...more
Robin
Feb 04, 2009 Robin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like bland realistic fiction
Recommended to Robin by: RITBA 2010 considered title
This is an odd little story. Among the RITBA readers, a lot has already been said about the disbelief about the girl taking the mom's car, I entirely agree with that. (What I find interesting is that the author's sister is Alane Ferguson who writes the forensic mysteries which have been pretty popular over the past few years although I have not read any of them myself.) This is a book that didn't have much substance, the only intriguing part of the story learning more about progeria and I apprec ...more
Christiane
Beauty is a pretty girl but so painfully shy that she has no friends (and her unfortunate name and unconventional family do not help matters). Alane, the new girl at her small, rural school, has progeria, a rare aging disorder that makes her look like an old woman. There are not a whole lot of surprises in this book, but the gradual friendship between Beauty and Alane feels realistic and also very sweet. There are also many moments of humor (including a scene with the two underage girls in a "bo ...more
Amanda
This is a good book for students to read if they are having a hard time making friends. In this story Beauty is having a hard time making friends because she is shy and cares a lot about what people think about her. That is until she meets a girl named Alane. Alane has a disease called Progeria. Progeria is a disease that makes individuals grow four times as fast as they are suppose too. Through Alane Beauty finds out what it's like to have a true friend and that it doesn't matter what someone l ...more
Jacqueline
Super shy Beauty McElwrath is dreading sixth grade with no friends. Things take an unexpected turn when the new girl who suffers from an aging disorder sits next to her. Can Beauty live up to her family motto of being kind to all?

Beauty is a fully developed character with many sides to her personality. This book had my alternating between laughter and tears. A quick, easy read, I recommend this to those looking for quality children's literature directed at the 4th-6th grade set.
Serena
Someone I heard speak at a conference raved about this book--I liked it, but would not insist that everyone must read it. I really liked the main character, Beauty, and her voice. It sometimes reminded me of India Opal in Because of Winn-Dixie. This is a great story about friendship, inner and outer beauty, and kids (middle schoolers)making choices about how they are going to treat one another.
Gwen the Librarian
This is a sweet and satisfying read with some good life lessons and a teeeeeeny bit of suspense. At one point, I was worried every couple of pages that something bad was going to happen and the author kept rescuing me. This one would definitely be enjoyed by the intended audience, 11-14 yr old girls.
Candide
This book is really a good book because it teaches you to stick up for your friends and that sometimes people who are different such as people who have a disease.....for example like in the book Alane has progeria which is an aging disease. Making her look like a grandma! Can be super nice!
Lorraine Stinson
Ginny
Beauty is a 6th grader who has no friends until a new girl shows up. She is Alane, and she has progeria (an aging disease.) Despite suffering the ridicule from classmates, Beauty and Alane manage to become good friends and deal with Alane's mortality.
Kathy
This one caught me by surprise. The story of a outcast named Beauty, who finds an unlikely friendship in a girl who is not. In fact, Alane has pregoria, the rare aging disease. A good read with a good message about "pretty is as pretty diz."
Karin
story of girl named beauty who becomes friends with a girl with an aging disease (can't remember name) when they are both students in the same 6th grade class in florida. southern/folksy voice like novels of deborah wiles, etc.
Meredithchitwood
Apr 11, 2011 Meredithchitwood rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Meredithchitwood by: school librian
I loved this book. The lesson was deffinatly not to let people make fun of you for what you look like. The ending was my favorite part and my favorite chrarcter is Codi!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 meredith marie
Suzanne Eastman
Where does Beauty come from...that is answered in multiple ways in this heartwarming story of a young girl who discovers that beauty is found on the inside where it counts the most.
Brandee
Jul 14, 2011 Brandee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
This is a great read. Two years ago a friend recommended it to me and I did to students - one of them got so interested that she did her research project on the rare disease progeria!
Vicki
Wonderful story about coming to terms with who you are, the peer pressures of conforming at any cost, and what you can accomplish with the love and support of friends and family.
Sydney
i loved this book! it was soooooooooo good! i was reading it in class, dinner table, EVERYWHERE! i loved it! i finished it in one and a half days!
Alexa
Oh carol Lynch Williams, you write such good, mature books about tweens. Not as thrilling as The Chosen One but most of life isn't that thrilling.
Gina
Grades 5-8 Girls would like better than boys. I really enjoyed this story about being different and fitting in at school.
Valynne Maetani
I pretty much love anything Carol Lynch Williams writes. She is queen of description and beautiful writing.
Julie
Sep 18, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle grade readers, girls especially
I loved this thoughtful, funny, sensitive book. Beauty's voice rings true on every page. Recommended.
Wendy
This is one of the books Ali read. She said she liked it.
Tricia
Quick read...sweet story and corny...just my style :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Walking Backward
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • The Day of the Pelican
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Solving Zoe
  • Nowhere Girl
  • The Saturday Boy
  • Lovingly Alice
  • Fortune's Magic Farm

About the Author: Carol Lynch Williams, a two-time winner of the Utah Original Writing Competition, is the author of several books for children, including two novels about the Orton family of New Smyrna, Florida: Kelly and Me and Adeline Street. A starred School Library Journal review of The True Colors of Caitlynne Jackson praises Williams as she "again demonstrates her facility at mood and chara

More about Carol Lynch Williams...
The Chosen One Glimpse Waiting Miles from Ordinary The Haven