An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #5)

An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe #5)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  32 reviews
L. M. Boston's thrilling and chilling tales of Green Knowe, a haunted manor deep in an overgrown garden in the English countryside, have been entertaining readers for half a century. Now the children of Green Knowe--both alive and ghostly--are back in appealing new editions.
The spooky original illustrations have been retained, but dramatic new cover art by Brett Helquist...more
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about An Enemy at Green Knowe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Enemy at Green Knowe

Shayne
“Enemy at Green Knowe” is the penultimate book in the Green Knowe series. I’m very impressed by the writing in this series. Lucy Boston felt that children shouldn’t be talked down to in books written for them. She said :

“I believe children, even the youngest, love good language, and that they see, feel, understand and communicate more, not less, than grownups. Therefore, I never write down to them, but try to evoke that new, brilliant awareness that is their world.”

To me this helps her books age...more
iamtedae
Mar 23, 2008 iamtedae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young fans of fantasy
Shelves: favorites
Part of a six-book series, this book is uniquely entertaining: magical, surprising, and a little, just a little, frightening, it capitalizes on the feeling that the oldest houses keep some of their history within their walls. This is the most frightening of the books in this series; while I still read it alongside the rest of the books, it was perhaps a little too scary for me at that young age. However, I did enjoy it very much reading it now. This is a story of a full-blown malevolent power at...more
Michael
By far the best and creepiest of the Green Knowe books. Made reading the first four titles worthwhile. Brrrr.
Mary
I am rereading this now, and I'm happy to be doing so. Although "The Children of Green Knowe" will always be my favorite in the series, Boston never writes less than beautifully. If all the "Green Knowe" books are marvellous, this one is set apart by the sense of evil it conveys.

Tolly and Ping have come back to the manor house for the end of the summer when their Grand Mother receives a visitor, the scholar Melanie Powers. Ms. Powers is more than a little strange; she is immediately shown to be...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of classic children's lit
An Enemy at Green Knowe provides a steep departure for L.M. Boston, more Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone or The Magic Thief than like any of her previous gentle books, which resemble The Water Babies or Alice in Wonderland.

First of all — hooray! — Toseland, nicknamed Tolly, returns in An Enemy at Green Knowe, as does his great-grandmother, Mrs. Oldknow. The latter adopted the refugee Ping, who appeared without Tolly in two previous Green Knowe books. All three live happily in the manor na...more
Kira Yeversky
I think I enjoyed this book more than any of the books in this series after The Children of Green Knowe. It might be because Tolly is back (not that the last two were horribly bad, but I missed him). The villain is more ominous than the challenges or situations in the past three books, though Melanie is perhaps not as fear-invoking as Green Noah was. I was left wondering where Toby, Alexander, and Linnet were hiding...perhaps they are shy of Ping? Or it might be that they don't come around as mu...more
Kristine
This is number FIVE of a SIX-part series (Six is the STONES OF GREEN KNOWE) featuring the ancient house Green Knowe that's based upon an actual English house where author Lucy Boston lived:

The Manor at Hemingford Grey built in the 1130s complete with moat and gardens is one of the oldest continuously occupied houses in Britain.

Wonderful pictures of the house and the town are available online for readers who search Hemingford Grey (a village) and/or The Manor at Hemingford Grey.

In AN ENEMY AT...more
Karl Orbell
Feb 27, 2012 Karl Orbell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, fantasy, supernatural, ecclesiastical, history
The Green Knowe books are always a pleasure to read. The love the author Lucy Boston has for her house and for children is evident on every page of each book and it is an infectious quality. This, combined with clever tales melding history and the supernatural, or the extraordinary, make the series well worth picking up.

After, The River At Green Knowe and A Stranger At Green Knowe, which were primarily focussed on present day oddities and were rather "outdoors" in setting, it is a pleasure with...more
Tinika
Green Knowe is a very special place where the past touches the present and the fantastic can be found everywhere. I read the first four books of the series many deades ago and recall liking them though I can no longer conjure up too many details. I recently became aware that there were actually six books in the series so picked this one up, partly as a memory jog and partly to see how Ms. Boston's writing has stood up to the test of time. (Very well, by the way.) This book has Tolly and Ping vis...more
Elinor  Loredan
As I had hoped, this series picks up after the disappointing River and Stranger. I like Tolly and Ping together, as, as usual, Mrs. Oldknow, as well as some statements about atmosphere and magic. There's some nice creepiness as well, but I found the ending rather anticlimactic. Moreover, there are a lot of unanswered questions: What exactly did Melanie want with the book and the Persian looking-glass? Was she really 'evil', or did she just have some kind of demon in her? What was her connection...more
stephanieisabookworm
I always loved what I thought of as the final Green Knowe installment, though now I know it's really the penultimate novel in the series. I love how physical the magic is in this book--not just ghosts but plagues and manifestations!
Brooke
This one was so spooky I loved it. It's very different from the rest of the series but it is really good too. It is different because usually the books don't really have a real villain or anything, they are just all imagination. But in this book there's an actual villain and she uses really bad witchcraft to try to influence Tolly and Granny. Parents might not go for this if they are the type of parent who disaproves of Harry Potter and other magic type stories. This book's magic is scary in a w...more
Bee
This was my favourite of Lucy M Boston's series.
The baddy is so nasty, the deeds so bad, that it's hard to put the book down - I just wanted her to get her comeuppance.
Tolly and Ping are great together.
I was surprised at how black the magic gets and where the heck is Orlando? When the cats arrived he'd have been invaluable.
It seems odd that Boston has simply written Tolly's dog out of these books.
Apart from these niggles it is a great read.
Hilary
Another anomaly in the Green Knowe series: it's SCARY. If 'Stranger' had too little magic, 'Enemy' has too much of it: dark, spiteful, evil, black magic that nearly overcomes Mrs Oldknow, that takes everything that Tolly and Ping can throw at it, and that's even almost too strong for Green Knowe itself. In fact, forget scary � it's downright terrifying, and if I'd read it when I was a kid I would probably still be having nightmares.
Amy
Genre: Modern fiction, middle reader
This was a captivating and intersting story. It has wonderful characters and a great storyline. It can be scary at times and may not be suitable for all readers in this group. I do think many readers will enjoy the vivid details and wonderful writing of this author. It is easy to get lost in the book and not stop until the reader has completed it.
Rachel
Nick and I have loved all the books in this series. One of the things I appreciate about them is that each book has its own mood and plot, distinct from the others. This one is spooky, as black magic is brought to bear against Green Knowe and its inhabitants. Tolly, Ping and Mrs. Oldknowe must use the house's magic and their own wits and daring to defend themselves.
Dwallace
I enjoyed the book because of the author's writing style and because it was in the Green Knowe series. I didn't like it as well as the other books in the series because of the topic of witchcraft and evil. However, I must say that it is good to show evil and how it affects the person allowing themselves to be influenced by evil.
Alaina Sloo
The chills are back in book five of the wonderfully spooky Green Knowe series. Read the first book in the series, The Children of Green Knowe first. Great for grades 3-5. The Children of Green Knowe
Lauren
This title is a bit different than the other Green Knowe books. I found it a bit scary actually, and I would warn parents that they might want to check this one out before they hand it over to a small child. As you would expect, the good guys win, but not before some really awful stuff happens.
Kailey
I usually like the Green Knowe books, and I adore L.M. Boston's writing style. However, this one is NOT a favorite. The depiction of black magic is just too close to truth for comfort. I would NOT give this one to children to read. Scary stuff.
Siobhan
I loved the other all the books in the series. I felt like the author sort had lost the plot. It was very strange and distrubing. The main problem though was I felt it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of series.
Lisa
This was a delightful read, where Ping and Tolly work together to thwart efforts of a nosy neighbor who appears to be somewhat evil, from getting inside Green Knowe. The grandmother, as always, is a delightful woman!
David
I prefer the books in this charming, wistful series that depend more on imagination and nature than on magic, but I think I'm in the minority. But this one has a creepy villain.
Julie
Wow, creepy and morbid for a children's story, with curses, black magic, and whatnot...but this series is so imaginative, I'm still looking forward to reading the others!
Emily
Jul 06, 2012 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Hounds of the Morrigan
Fascinating ingredients: a dusty book lost for generations, incantations in Latin, a code language, and magic as ancient as Moses and Pharoah.
Adela
Finally a decent Green Knowe again. The last one had no magic and no Tolly, both of which made it into this book, thankfully.
Dean
Mar 24, 2012 Dean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
This one is much the best in the series simply because it actually has some action.
Carolien
June 7, 2012.
May 28, 2014 Audio book. Loved it even more!

Kris Larson
The Green Knowe books are magic. Give them to every child you know.
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • The Midnight Folk
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • A Traveller In Time
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • A Stitch In Time
Also published as Lucy M. Boston. Full name: Lucy Maria Boston, born Lucy Wood.

Boston was a British author noted for her longevity; she did not have her first book published until she was over 60. She is best known for her Green Knowe books, inspired by her home The Manor in Hemingford Grey, Cambridgeshire, one of the oldest continuously inhabited houses in Britain. B

Boston was educated at a Susse...more
More about L.M. Boston...
The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1) Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2) The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3) A Stranger at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #4) The Stones of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #6)