Start by marking “Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy, #1)

Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy #1)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,569 Ratings  ·  542 Reviews
Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or m
Published January 9th 2007 by Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of a Boyfriend, please sign up.

Sarita Other than To Kill a Mockingbird, Forever and The Anatomy of a Boyfriend are my favorite books. The Anatomy of a Boyfriend's author dedicated it to…moreOther than To Kill a Mockingbird, Forever and The Anatomy of a Boyfriend are my favorite books. The Anatomy of a Boyfriend's author dedicated it to Forever's author so it’s clearly the inspiration but they’re also essentially different.

In Forever Michael and Katherine start dating the morning after they meet. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes and Dom are just friends for more than two months and a hundred pages. That is because in Forever Michael is open from the beginning that he likes Katherine. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Dom is always questioning and freaking out whether Wes likes her.

[!!SPOILERS ALERT!!] In Forever the plot ends when they’re on summer break. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend the characters go through freshman year of college.

In Forever Michael and Katherine skip prom. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend prom and prom night are humungous.

In Forever Michael already had a gf before Katherine. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes has never even kissed anyone before.

In Forever Michael and Katherine “click” sexually pretty early. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes and Dom don’t click that way and she learns she has to “rely on herself.”

In Forever Katherine chooses her college based on where Michael will be skiing. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend, Dom decides not to go to school near Wes even though they got into the same school. (That was my favorite part because even though she’s obsessed she still puts herself first.)

In Forever Katherine dumps Michael. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes dumps Dom.

And in Forever the breakup happens at the very end of the book’s plot. After The Anatomy of a Boyfriend dumping there are several chapters of her dealing with being heartbroken.

The biggest similarity is the chapter of emails when they get separated but IMHO considering the dedication that's meant to be a blatant homage. Mostly I loved how The Anatomy of a Boyfriend takes Dom to emotional places Katherine never goes in Forever because Katherine never questions what Michael thinks and never gets heartbroken (LUCKY!).

I really want to read another book about high school sweethearts dealing with post graduation distance dating but with using Snaphat and Instagram and FaceTime etc. and not just emailing and SMS. Does anyone know of one?(less)

Kristi
Oct 26, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it
There have been reviews for this book all over the place, well now it’s my turn! First off, I just want to express my concern that some readers have been surprised that there is sex in this book. Number one: It’s called “Anatomy of a Boyfriend,” number two: there is a naked man-doll on the cover, number three: are there still really people out there that think teens don’t have sex? Let me throw this little factoid at you, nearly half (46%) of all 15-19-year-olds in the United States have had sex ...more
Ifwhennotthen
Jul 07, 2007 Ifwhennotthen rated it did not like it
Shelves: youngadult
I don't understand why this book is lauded as either something that needs to be banned or as amazingly innovative. Yes, it's got some sex scenes, but they are so clinical they could be in a textbook. Also, guess what? There are sex scenes in Forever, which came out decades ago and is essentially the same book, only much better written.

More frustrating is the fact that despite claims that this book is open about female sexuality, it's nothing more than your typical "sex=bad!" novel because in the
Daisy
Jan 09, 2012 Daisy rated it really liked it
The book was pretty short. It only took about an hour and a half - two hours to read. Also an easy read. I even read the q&a section at the end, which I never do. It's a story about falling in love when you're younger and how you perceive them at that time. It was interesting because I could really relate to a lot of it, both from his and her perspectives.

I found this book while looking for a digital copy of forever by Judy Blume which was fitting because the author was inspired by that boo
Lorie
Dec 11, 2008 Lorie rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, realisticfiction
Alexandra
Apr 25, 2011 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Anatomy of a Boyfriend was totally different than how I expected it would be. I loved it! The whimsical cover and description in the front flap kind of make it seem like a teeny bopper love story. But it's not. It's more about one girl's journey into young adulthood/sex/getting to know her body. It's sort of like a Judy Blume book (actually Judy Blume is one of the people to whom this book is dedicated) only more graphic, I think.

Yes, there's sex in this book. And blow jobs. And other sexual stu
Seana
Nov 23, 2007 Seana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who love romance, gossip, and a good book
In this book a girl named Dominique who has never kissed a guy before, finally meets the perfect guy. This book is hilarious! Throughout the story when someon is talking to her it shows what'd she like to say, and what she actually does say. I'll admitt that this book is a little mature, but It's worth the read, I couldn't put it down!! It only took me about 2-3 hours to read. :)
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 02, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it liked it
*3.5*

This book was a pretty good story about first love and the things that come with it, but the main character was super annoying and immature most of the time. I still recommend it though!
Alexandra Reyes
Mar 29, 2010 Alexandra Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patricia
Jan 01, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Dominique expirienced something that she thought would never even think about until she met Wes. She met this highschool senior at a trackmeet. She never got that physical with a guy until she started going out with Wes. Then she expiriences all these things, maybe it's her hormones or just the way Wes makes her feel. Her feelings for him became so intense. She expirienced her first love and all the problems that came with it. This takes place in Shorr Academy. The main charcters are Wes and Do ...more
Amanda Leighton
Nov 07, 2010 Amanda Leighton rated it really liked it
Anatomy of a boyfriend was probably one of the funniest books ive read. It teaches you alot about life, and the challenges that come along with it. Dominique finds herself one of he only people in her high school that hasnt had a boyfriend yet. Its not that shes not pretty, or is a nerd, but she is just so shy she doesnt want anything to do with boys.

Alot of things changed when she met Wes, who happened to be one of the most popular kids in their highschool! She really doesnt know what to think
Karin
Mar 03, 2011 Karin rated it really liked it
ANATOMY OF A BOYFRIEND has been out for a long time and I've always been drawn to the cover, but never gotten around to reading it until now. Why did it take so long you might ask? Well, I just never got around to purchasing it, but since my ebook spurt lately it was only a click of a button away. I'm glad I finally read it.

This is the story of first love. First head-over-heels, can't-think-of-anything-but-him kind of love. Dominique (Dom) is a serious girl and dreams of becoming a doctor. She k
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Warning: Sexual scenes

A very honest portrayal about a girl's first everything: first love, first boyfriend, first time. I found myself laughing at some of their thoughts and some of the dialogue. This is a cute and fun read and I loved how brutally honest it is. Never have I read about a book where the main story or plot is about sex. If I ever read this book as a teen I would have been majorly grateful. The relationship game is so evident in this one. Should I call him back? Do I look too cling
Glass
Sep 09, 2013 Glass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, for-review
Review from Ja čitam, a ti?

I have to say a big thank you to Daria Snadowsky for sending me her Anatomy novels. Second, I owe the biggest apology to Daria Snadowsky for not reading her books three years ago when I saw Anatomy of a Boyfriend on my Goodreads "wall".

First thing that got my attention was the cover. That plastic Kan doll that most of us used to play with. Along with Barbie, of course. And then there are all those pointers like "clueless", "ready to run" or "terra incognita". Title A
Madison
Apr 18, 2009 Madison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults
Genre: Young Adult

Anatomy of a Boyfriend caught my attention right away. After reading the review I knew this book was going to be hard to put down.

In Daria Snadowskys’ Anatomy of a boyfriend, Dominique Baylor is a seventeen year old senior attending a private school. Dominique and her best friend Amy are nearly opposites. Amy is sexually active where as Dom is more shy and timid when it comes to guys; until she meets Wes. Wes is a senior at EFM High with Amy where Wes happens to be the school
Arlenis
Jul 20, 2010 Arlenis rated it it was amazing
Anya
Dec 24, 2013 Anya rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Nice Book? Yeah!
Do I regret reading it? Boy do i!

Geez, I was so bummed after completing the book, but then again i was pmsing. So i can't really differentiate now, can i?

First off, that it one heck of a catchy title.Good thinking there.

So starting with the story, the novel deals with Dominique Baylor and her relationship with her first ever boyfriend Wesley Gershwin.There isn't much else to describe about the plot but hey, i can tell about how she was pining for him for months, their sweet first
Missy (Missy's Reads & Reviews)
I read a lot of reviews for this book - both good and bad, which is pretty much what intrigued me enough to pick it up and read it. For all intents and purposes, I can see exactly why the reviews are so split in half. I can see why people would really like it, where others wouldn't like it at all.

The funny thing about this is that a lot of older (read: not teen) readers comment about the graphic sex in this book and the fact that this is a YA book with the two main characters having sex. Really,
Krista Ashe
Feb 27, 2010 Krista Ashe rated it really liked it
Raye
Nov 08, 2015 Raye rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
I’ve only been reading since 2008. I did read a few books before then but I never really enjoyed them. I actually hated reading. I thought it was a complete waste of time. The only thing I can remember reading and enjoying was Harry Potter. However, for some reason near the end of 2007 I just decided that in 2008 I would try to read 100 books. Why am I telling you this in a review? I am telling you this because Anatomy of a Boyfriend and I go way back to the beginning. My first real year of read ...more
Alexa
Oct 04, 2015 Alexa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alexa by: Kristi
(Review was originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

This book was definitely a funny read! I kept bursting into laughter while reading the story, as the events and things said really seemed amusing to me. Any book that makes me laugh usually gets instant plus points!

I like how this book explores the world of teenage relationships, especially when it comes to sex. I think the sexual relations between the main characters, Wes and Dom, were depicted quite realistically. They were actually very taste
Jason Kurtz
Dec 13, 2012 Jason Kurtz rated it really liked it
Daria Snadowsky set out to present a realistic portrayal of a young woman’s coming of age in Anatomy of a Boyfriend, and she succeeds. Dominique is a character that becomes interested in her own anatomy, after she meets Wes, who literally makes her heart throb. Snadowsky tackles every subject “in a responsible way” according to School Library Journal, from dental damns to orgasms from the female (and male) perspectives and de-mystifies many of the modern issues that Today’s teens are worrying ab ...more
Allison
Jul 18, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I was blown away (in a good way) by the honesty in this book. It's a realistic account of a girl's first high school boyfriend, how that relationship progresses, and how it affects her family and friendships. The story follows Wes and Dom to different colleges and explores their long distance relationship. As I said, the honesty in this book really made it for me. I've never read a YA book that is so frank about masturbation, sexuality and the emotional entanglement of losing your virginity. My ...more
Jenni Arndt
May 20, 2013 Jenni Arndt rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
I was recommended this series by my good friend Christina of A Reader of Fictions so when I got a review request from the author I was quick to accept. Am I ever happy that I did! I ate this book up. I couldn’t put it down and ended up finishing it in a day. I think what I loved the most about it was how authentic it all felt. I loved the characterizations and how I found myself thinking “been there, girlfriend” so many times throughout.

Dominique starts out as an inexperienced high school senior
Damon Lee
Dominique experienced something that she thought would’ve never happened until she met Wes. She met this high school senior at a track meet. She never got that physical with guys until she started going out with Wes. Suddenly she experiences all these feelings, maybe it's her hormones or just the way Wes makes her feel. Her feelings for him became so intense. She encounters her first love and all the problems that came with it.
A good book I must say, with authentic scenes that detail the myriad
Miley Cyrus
Jan 30, 2009 Miley Cyrus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is about a boy thats username is hottiemchottpants@hotmail.com
the only problem is... he doesnt wear pants... can u figure out the mystery of his missing pants before he goes on a date to ravinia with his girl friend who only wears dresses and nail polish that matches her red lipstick and red eyes... read this book to find out if he finds his pants and the secret that his girl friend has kept from him...
Katie
May 03, 2007 Katie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: recommended if you enjoy books that focus more on the making out than the story line...
Shelves: readandenjoyedok
The storyline starts out promising...but as you move through part 1 and part 2 and onto part 3 the storyline seems to get lost in the making out, losing virginity, and attempting of oral sex...so the hormones seemed to take over the driving of the story...by part 4...I was kind of annoyed...but I finished it after blushing through most of it...best if read alone if you blush easily!
Delia
Aug 18, 2007 Delia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: high school girls
I can't stop thinking about this book. It's so honestly written about what happens when you enter a relationship, and even though it gets kind of sexual, it's never trashy. It shows all the good points and bad points of being sexually active, so it's not like a judgmental book, which I appreciated. And so funny and sad at the same time. A ten!
Melina
Jul 09, 2013 Melina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-romance
Well, first let me say that I had to go sneak away from my mom in the mall and make sure I had a big purse so I could go into Borders and buy it.

I thought I knew pretty much everything about guys, being a teenager, but I found out I didn't. I thought if you fell in love, or thought you did anyway, you would stay with that person forever. I was wrong. This book really opened up my eyes. Just because you have sex with someone, doesn't mean you'll stay with them forever.

Dominique is not very experi
Kat
When it comes to Young Adult books focusing on first relationships, I'm always a little wary - they can either be fantastically funny and awkward, or completely unrealistic. But I'd already heard good things about the Anatomy series, so I was looking forward to finding out just how this book worked for me.

Dom is a pretty average teenage girl, who actually already has her future pretty much decided, but has never had a boyfriend and never been kissed. I liked Dom right from the beginning - her aw
Bri  Ahearn
Sep 01, 2008 Bri Ahearn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teesn, adults, Judy Blume fans
Recommended to Bri by: Author
Daria Snadowsky's Anatomy of a Boyfriend's narrator is seventeen-year old Dominique, whose grasp of the male figure lies between the pages of Grey's Anatomy, which she reads religiously, aspiring to become a doctor. While attending a local football game at a neighboring high school with her boy-crazy friend, she meets Wes, track star, 6'1, blond hair, blue eyes, the epitome of the quintessential boy next door. Dom falls for Wes. Hard.

In a way she's never felt before. Soon their flirty IM exchang
Book BFFs: Anatomy of Boyfriend/Single Girl (SPOILERS!) 12 19 Aug 14, 2013 02:25AM
  • Lost It
  • Giving Up the V
  • A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
  • Prom Kings and Drama Queens
  • Cubanita
  • Violet by Design (Violet, #2)
  • Beauty and the Bully
  • The Elite (The Elite, #1)
  • Sticky Fingers
  • One Night
  • Good Girls
  • The V Club
  • The Real Real
  • Guyaholic (V Valentine, #2)
  • Do-Over
  • The Witch Collector Part I
  • Doing It
  • Louder Than Words
Daria Snadowsky is the author of the novels "Anatomy of a Boyfriend" and "Anatomy of a Single Girl." She also contributed the essay "To Sir Anthony, With Love," to the anthology "Crush: 26 Real-life Tales of First Love." Visit her at www.daria-snadowsky.com
More about Daria Snadowsky...

Anatomy (2 books)
  • Anatomy of a Single Girl (Anatomy, #2)

deluded, irrational, inconsiderate, and a liar. And because I love you, you’re always going to haunt me.”
64 likes
“Please don’t hate you??!! I hate that I love you. Loving you made me waste a year of my life. Loving you made me be passionate about nothing but you. Loving you made me take risks I never would have otherwise. Loving you made me give it up to you. Loving you made me neglect my parents and Amy. Loving you made me not care that my grandma just died. Loving you made me turn out bitter and hopeless like her. Loving you made me hate myself for being dumped by you. Loving you made me deluded, irrational, inconsiderate, and a liar. And because I love you, you’re always going to haunt me.
I’ll never be able to have another birthday without wondering how you’re celebrating yours. I’ll never be able to think another guy is more handsome, talented, intelligent, or worth loving than you, despite all your faults (and there are many). I’ll never be able to check my e-mail without praying I’ll find a message from you with the subject line I love you, Dom—please come back to me. Meanwhile, every corner of this city is laced with memories of us together, and I’ll never be able to leave the house without hoping and dreading that I’ll run into you. You stole Fort Myers from me, and I lived here first, you fucking thief. You actually may be one of my last thoughts when I die.”
40 likes