Start by marking “Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking: Recipes and Techniques for Succcessful Home Baking” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A revised overview of the fine art of baking provides a close-up look at the fundamental ingredients, essential equipment, and basic techniques of successful baking, featuring step-by-step photographs, baking tips and tricks, more than 140 delicious recip
Title: Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking
Author: Williams, Chuck (EDT)/ Burgett, Cathy (CON)/ Klivans, Elinor (CON)/ P
Published October 1st 2008 by Oxmoor House (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking

Kathy
As anyone who knows me well could attest, I love to bake (well, I like to embroider too, but that's a different review). Received this book as a gift many years ago from a friend who knew of my "kitchen obsessions." I have several recipes that are now tried and true favorites and MANY I'd love to try just once! Beautiful photos...what's not to enjoy!
Casey
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but this is a good basic baking book. It explains all the terms and techniques and has lots of delicious-looking recipes. Full color photos of each recipe and various techniques are always appreciated in a cookbook.
Zeala
Jul 29, 2012 Zeala rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bakers, people who are unsure about baking
I love this book. It's got extra information, is easy to understand, has options if you want to switch up your recipe and so far everything that I have baked has been delicious.
I also appreciate that it has values for cups, oz and grams.
Courtney
This book has never let me down! I typically rely on it for yeast bread recipes (sourdough, molasses-oat, rustic loafs), but was thrilled to find a banana bread recipe that yields a moist, delicious loaf.
Mrs.
If you are looking for a comprehensive baking book that is NOT written for professionals, yet is beautifully photographed, has recipes that both work and look appetizing, this is it.
Carol
I picked this book up from the sale rack of my local independent bookstore and have not been disappointed. There are lots of helpful tips and instructions as well as great recipes.
Kirshaq
What a great bread book!! I have learned so much about bread ever since I was sent this book. Great recipes and great information. This is for anyone who wants to make any kind of bread.
Vanessa
this book is used more than any other cookbook in my kitchen. great how-to for learning to make all kinds of doughs. every recipe in this book has been fabulous.
Elizabeth
Christmas gift from my aunt, who gave the same cookbook to my other two adult siblings. Lots of gorgeous baked goods which I plan to make at Christmas time.
Brianna
Many of the techniques in this book are beyond my ability, but it is a good resource to have in the kitchen when trying a new baking skill out.
Dennis
It's pretty. Lots of gorgeous photos. There are some excellent recipes, particularly for desserts, but its more flash and dazzle than necessary.
Mary
Best baking book I own - EVERY recipe I try from this book is GOLD! The new edition is probably better, but I dont own it ... yet ...
Catherine Woodman
This series is very well produced and the recipes do tend to work out--just not especially imainative
Beth
This is a vast tome of all things baking. If there's not something in here for everyone, I'll eat my hat.
Elizabeth
A great source for a lot of traditional baking recipes, as well as some modern ones.
Abdul
Good and easy to follow instructions. Baked a pound cake from this book.
Sandra
This is a beautiful book.
Susan Moores
Susan Moores marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
mark lehn
mark lehn marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mehreen Anfa
Mehreen Anfa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Gail Mitchell
Gail Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Amber Miskowitz
Amber Miskowitz marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • Real Simple: Meals Made Easy
  • Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes
  • The Medieval Cookbook
  • The Complete Book of Pasta and Noodles
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The River Cottage Cookbook
  • The Big Book of Casseroles: 250 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food
  • Pure Dessert
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Horn of the Moon Cookbook: Recipes from Vermont's Renowned Vegetarian Restaurant
  • French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook
  • New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, rev
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours