City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)

City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  403,967 ratings  ·  15,653 reviews
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 541 pages
Published March 24th 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about City of Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Glass

City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
3rd out of 17,782 books — 48,428 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
11th out of 3,632 books — 7,741 voters

More lists with this book...

Choco
--Warning: negative review--
(view spoiler)...more
Rinoa Heartilly
Cara
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cara by: Tori & Victoria
I had begun reading this laying down and drinking the words in steadily but before I knew it I was sitting on the edge of the sofa and forcing to keep up my eyes focused enough not to move too far ahead. I promised myself I wasn't going to write a spoiler review though I really wanted to. Without giving spoilers I can't stress how much a certain line did this or what took me by surprise but y'all are just going to have to read it to feel and see what I felt.

EVERYTHING is finally explained. Tha...more
Rose
Bahh, i didn't really care about all the notes that Cassandra Clare made, and the scenes really felt like the book.
I was really bored until Clary started talking to Jace on the phone, then it got really exciting.

Entertaining!
Funny to see Aline's expression about Simon. Sebastian was pretty much how i expected him to be.

Merged review:

Cassandra Clare is sure an author who seem to have everything in mind. Of course everybody should have somebody to grieve for them! But no other autho...more
Marcy Jo
It goes without saying that I am a lover of books. Stories, characters, and delicious prose...well...these are things that I throw myself into. My shelves are filled with countless books that i have read and loved, stories that I have enjoyed reading.
I have never enjoyed reading a book as much as I enjoyed this one. Never.

It's a scary thing when you get to the final book in a series or trilogy that you particularly care about. There's a certain amount of apprehension involved,correlating directl...more
Lady Danielle
***LAST AND FINAL EDIT (JANUARY 19, 2014): I'm no longer replying to the people commenting on this review. People still don't seem to understand my warning stating "if you loved this series, don't read this." If you're going ignore THAT then I'm simply going to ignore your comment. It will not be read by me.***

Also, you may want to read through the comments before commenting. Chances are, what you're about to write may have already been stated.
__________________________________________________...more
Kira
I'm going to review this properly.

��
Sophie Riggsby
Tamora Pierce
This is an action-packed, breathless, dramatic, heart-pounding conclusion to the series, with peril and pain for everyone we have grown to care about, as Clary, Jace, Luke, Simon, Isabella, and the gang try to prepare their elders for war with Valentine and the Demons, and Clary scrambles desperately for the cure for her mother's coma. Clare has put hammer-fist surprise punches into every turn, so much so that I can't really talk about the plot--except to say that it's great. Sometimes the chara...more
Reader-ramble
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one. Run why you still can.
Recommended to Reader-ramble by: Doing a book challenge. Regretting it.
FINALLY! It's over! I'm done with the original Mortal Instruments trilogy, and it feels so good.

Now, before I begin, I will be courteous enough to inform you all that the following review is filled with whining, griping, and spoilers. If you love anything about this series, read at your own peril. I am not responsible for any strong feelings that my ravaging of these books trigger.

Before you read this, please read my reviews of City of Bones and City of Ashes because I will be most likely refere...more
Laurel
Fuck this book.

Fuck everyone in it.
Fuck Clary and her Cloud Strife Shadowhunter gear and her inability to do anything relevant to the plot.
Fuck Jace for being a massive prick and unable to choose a goddamn surname.
Fuck Valentine for being a dingus.
Fuck Jocelyn for being dead weight that lasts a whole trilogy.

Fuck the prose for only talking in witty context that DOESN'T MATTER NOR DOES IT MOVE THE STORY ANY FARTHER.
Fuck every simile in this book because there's at LEAST 1000 if there's two per pa...more
Sandra
3.5 stars to the worst book in the Immortal Instruments series so far. So far

Clary
clary1 zps0d5086f7

Jace
Jace zps5bb54068

If you haven't read the first book - City of Bones, then i highly advice you to not read my review, as i'm not going to explain who are the characters, and you might get confused. There are going to be SPOILERS TOO!

Let my start of with - HOW THE HECK...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
City of Glass was one of my favourite books for a long time. One of the most heartbreaking moments of that book is when Jace spends the night with Clary. No sex, no touching except for their clasped hands and yet, it was just as special as a night filled with passion if not more. Before he leaves, Jace writes a heartfelt letter for Clary explaining his actions and choices. He reveals his true feelings and in a way, says goodbye. For such a short letter, it had a lot of heart. This was a wonderfu...more
Scarlet
Oh lord. I had to delete what I wrote here because it's just too painful to re-read my spazztastical fangirlng from some of my older reviews.

I will say that yes, I enjoyed this series, but lately I've been on edge with C. Clare after hearing about her past involving fanfition and plagiarism.

*sighs*
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
*I finally got around to re-reading it! Haha. It's definitely still my favorite of the series. It takes a little while to pick up, which I didn't notice the first time I read it; I guess there's a lot of buildup. But it needs that ... and it's worth it because once it gets to the last 200 pages or so it's like "OHMIGODDD OHMIGODDD!!!" So intenssseee!!! I can't imagine how anyone could not be drawn into this series. Shallow, yes, and the writing isn't spectacular – but it's a fantastic story with...more
Sarah Sto Domingo
What did I just read? LOL. It's more like I was watching a stolid soap opera in the afternoon where everybody just cries and delivers stupid and unrealistic dialogues to each other. It's corny, predictable, overwhelms with sappiness and nonsensical illogical explanations for things, and some things just plainly don't make sense.

(SOME SPOILERS AHEAD)

Here's City of Glass in a nutshell:

1. When you think vampires don't sleep, think again. Every change of scene with Simon as the character always beg...more
Thomas
This book wasted my time. Instead of going to play tennis or work out at the gym with my friends, I read this book. Instead of packing for the trip I have to go on tomorrow, I read this book. Instead of going to the mall with my friends and watching a movie, I read this book. And I loved it.

"City Of Glass" is the third and final (sob) installment of the Mortal Instruments series, and is about Shadowhunter Clarissa Fray, who continues to be a hotheaded redhead that is in love with her own brother...more
The Literary Bystander (nxlee)
So with some of the covers, we get a lovely quote on the front cover from our favourite, noteworthy author Stephenie Meyer who claims this book is "a story world I love to live in."

Yes, because having Stephenie Meyer quote on the front cover of your book means we're DEFINITELY in good hands! Although you can make the argument how clever it was, marketing-wise to ride on the coat tails of the Twilight hype.

In a Nutshell: So now that Valentine has all the Mortal Instruments - the Accords and Shad...more
Lola
My preciiious, my preciiious...

I don't think I've ever said that before, regarding a book, but this, City of Glass, was pure perfection. It was so incredible to realise that everything Cassandra Clare included in this sequel, has a meaning, a reason to be there. Like in the Harry Potter series. If I made that link, is only so you can picture how great this book must be. Not because I agree to the fact that the plot and characters have many similiarities. Because I don't.

If you liked the other bo...more
Dorothy
IT IS MADE OF WIN! Pure win, actually. It didn't leave me questioning anything on an annoying level like some final books do and I thought that everything was tied up neatly without being too happily tied together in an unrealistic way.

The characters remained true to the way that we know them. Clary still doesn't listen to what she's told to do, but how else could the book move forward if she suddenly obeyed people? Jace is still snarktastic, though slightly more "angst-ridden teen" this time ar...more
Samantha
Cecerose

Merged review:

Outtake 2: Simon arrives in Alicante and meets Aline and Sebastian.

In the original version of the story, Simon wound up in Idris as a result of Jace’s trickery and not as an accident. I decided I didn’t like that — it made Jace too manupulative and Clary too forgiving of his bad behavior — so I altered it; this is, however, the original first scene in which Simon wakes up in Alicante and meets Sebastian an...more
Bianca St.
Holy Jace Lightwood!! This was so sweet!!! (I think I got diabetes but in a totally good way!!) WHY CAN'T EVERY GUY SAY THAT?! Seems like they got mashed potatoes instead of that part of the brain that should make them romantic. *sigh* I want Jace!! (I have some competition there) But seriously, fictional charcaters are way better than real boyfriends. If you could make out with them too they would be perfect. lol =]
Jamie
Kami Garcia
I am so sad to have finished this series. Cassandra Clare literally keeps you on the edge of your seat from page 1. If you love a great fantasy, with a plot full of unexpected twists and turn, run to the nearest bookstore. You will fall in love with Jace, Clary & Simon. I promise.
Kassidy
I think this is my favorite one in the series so far! There were so many twists and everything seemed to fall into place. The ending was soo epic!! I'm interested to read the next few books because it feels like the series could have ended with this one.
Andre
Originally the following piece was covered in the main spoiler section, however, while I noticed the plothole right away it only recently occurred to me how big it is and as such I think everyone wanting to read this book should know how much of a problem and example of bad writing this is:
(view spoiler)...more
Love Love Love Love LOVE!!! I absolutely loved the way this amazing story all came together yet left it sort of open at the end....perhaps there may be more to this story that needs to be told.
I can only hope that this is not truly the end. After reading this I feel like it's a part of me, like the characters are family and friends I've only just gotten to know, yet have always been there.
Clare is AMAZING and if I could give this book 500 stars I would....
FAN freaking TASTIC!!
Jace and Clary ar...more
Mitchel Broussard
Unabashedly the best of the series. Although it had lengthy gaps in action or meaty information, the dialogue and characters, as usual, were fun, witty and entertaining. The resolution of the saga was satisfying, and most importantly, did not feel like a cop out. I was expecting more character's to die in the end, and would have liked a more detailed description of the final battle (We really only get it from Simon's point of view for about 4 pages). But, all-in-all, it does the series justice a...more
Rachel
"But God knows, I don't want anyone but you. I don't even want to want anyone but you."

Omg. I can't even handle my life right now. So many emotions!!! This book tore my heart out, then put it back together several times. I can't even explain how I'm feeling now. Overwhelmed? Maybe. Insanely happy? Quite possibly. Craving the next book in the series? ABSOLUTELY! I need it now.

"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then."

This book is everythin...more
Do You Like Simon More As A Vampire or A Nerd? 2 14 Sep 17, 2014 04:36PM
who is the guy on the cover? 85 433 Sep 14, 2014 07:55PM
Why do you think Clary recgonizes Tessa? 304 3675 Sep 13, 2014 05:38PM
Teen Book Lovers ...: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare 2 21 Sep 09, 2014 08:28PM
Addicted to YA: City of Glass 51 382 Aug 15, 2014 03:59AM
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • Tiger's Voyage (The Tiger Saga, #3)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

"Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilo...more
More about Cassandra Clare...
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

“There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.” 14926 likes
“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.” 7575 likes