Start by marking “Broadway Tails: Heartfelt Stories of Rescued Dogs Who Became Showbiz Superstars” as Want to Read:
Broadway Tails: Heartfelt Stories of Rescued Dogs Who Became Showbiz Superstars

Broadway Tails: Heartfelt Stories of Rescued Dogs Who Became Showbiz Superstars

William Berloni and his company have spent the past thirty years training dogs and cats for Broadway productions, primarily using animals rescued from shelters. As a high schooler in 1976, Berloni had rescued an Airedale mixed breed only hours before it was slated for euthanasia. The terrier was cast as Sandy in the musical Annie and performed there for seven years. The ...more
Published June 3rd 2008 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Broadway Tails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broadway Tails

Molly G
I had a few hours to kill and couldn't go home, so I did what I always do in such situations: find a bookstore. Once inside, I went in a random direction, found myself in the performing arts section, picked up this book because it had a dog on the cover, and sat in a corner on the floor to give it a skim.

For the rest of the free hours I stayed on the floor and read the thing cover to cover. A few times I started crying (which happens rarely from reading) and other patrons hopped over to ask if I
Bev
Jun 24, 2016 Bev rated it it was amazing
When I was doing research on a recent version of Legally Blonde which was opening at Sacramento's Music Circus, and which I would be reviewing, someone told me that a member of the original cast was coming out of retirement to do this show one last time. It was Chico, the Chihuahua who had been the original "Bruiser Woods" and he had been trained by a guy named Bill Berloni.

I did a little research on Berloni too and found that he is "the" guy to go to if you need an animal trained for stage work
Shaya
Jul 03, 2009 Shaya rated it really liked it
I read this book cover to cover one morning. It is a really interesting learning about all the animals that Bill Berloni has trained for theater and the different querks of each instance. Lots of funny situations.

I was surprised at how little formal training he had to get into the business. Most of his training is based off of instinct and creativity. I think target training and chained behaviors could be useful to him but he got along just fine by figuring out a way to get the animal to do the
Johnny Walker
Sep 13, 2012 Johnny Walker rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's no more repetitive than walking out the door each day, only to find an entirely new set of issues, problems, and answers. Bill has taken a seemingly unknown trade and explained the intricacies. His approach to the hurdles he faced with each show was not only creative, but told in a very humbling way. Every story revealed insight and problem solving and the behind the scenes scenarios were definitely interesting. Learning about some of the actors and their love ...more
manatee
May 28, 2010 manatee rated it really liked it
Although this book does get repetitive, I still loved it because it gave you a glimpse of all the back stabbing and manipulation that goes on backstage in a typical broadway show. It must be frustrating to be an animal trainer with all those human prima donnas.

I wonder what Bill Berloni is really like.
I loved the stories and was really captivated by the trainer's ingenuity and the fact that his reputation was on the line for every show. He had to basically re-invent the wheel for every show an
Monika
Dec 08, 2008 Monika rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers
Shelves: pupsters
Broadway Tails gets four and a half stars in my opinion. I loved the movie Annie when I was a kid and of course loved Sandy most of all. Broadway Tails starts with the story of Sandy and how, because Bill Berloni took a chance, the shelter dog was given a second life. Bill Berloni trained dozens of dogs, not to mention cats, pigs, birds, and even rats. He saved the lives of so many animals and trained them to be stars. The book illustrates a handful of stories about these animals over the past t ...more
Paul
Feb 08, 2011 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
This one was a disappointment. When Terri Gross interviewed the author on NPR, the book sounded wonderful, full of details about the various animals and what it was like to train them and work with them. But when I bought the book and started reading it, I found it was full of Broadway insider chitchat and celebrity name-dropping, which totally put me off. Maybe that's what people want -- celeb gossip -- but not me. I wanted more of what I heard on the radio.
Annie
Apr 04, 2009 Annie rated it it was amazing
This book was cuter than I thought it was going to be. The book goes through this guy's career training animals for Broadway. All of the animals that were used for shows were from shelters or from homes w/ bad situations. He helped to better the lives of many animals. It was also interesting to read the steps he had to take to train these animals to perform the same trick night after night in front of hundreds of people.
Naomi
Feb 15, 2010 Naomi rated it really liked it
Of course as a dog trainer, I was very interested in this book. What I really liked though was Bill's determination to continue doing what he loved, and the struggles he overcame when the dogs and people he worked with didn't cooperate.
Michelle
Dec 01, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
Fun, light reading, I enjoyed it tremendously, especially the early stories of how he fell into the profession. His tone is never condescending, just genuine. Just as he was at the book signing I attended. Hard to imagine anyone who loves both animals and theater not enjoying this book.
Ermabom
Oct 10, 2009 Ermabom rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book although it gets a bit repetitive. It is a feel good book. Bill Berloni trains animals for theatre and all his animals are rescued from shelters.
His training techniques are interesting to read about. However after the 3rd or 4th story, they all start to sound the same.
Sep 23, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Okay, so it is not literature, but what isn't too like about heartfelt stories about dogs and Broadway?
Ilana
Nov 19, 2011 Ilana rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book. A must read if you love animals and Broadway! I have nothing but respect for Bill Berloni and would love to meet/work with him someday!
Fred Dickson
Dec 29, 2012 Fred Dickson rated it liked it
Shelves: feel-goods, dog-books
I read the entire book in one go, and while it was a very sweet charming book, there wasn't a lot of depth to it. The first part about the original Sandy was my favorite.
Lauren Skop
Lauren Skop rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2009
illusion fox
illusion fox rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Pauletta
Pauletta rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2011
MonkeyBusiness
MonkeyBusiness rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Kimberly Hart
Kimberly Hart rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Amie
Amie rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Jenn Lambert
Jenn Lambert rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Jane Ferreira
Jane Ferreira rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Ann A
Ann A rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Honey Goydas
Honey Goydas rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Jeffrey B.
Jeffrey B. rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Emilie
Emilie rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2014
Aly
Dec 29, 2008 Aly rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that showed what it would be like to be a dog on broadway.
Katie
Aug 08, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Loved the dog stories. But, it was very predictable.
Emily Mattison
Emily Mattison rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011