Start by marking “Submarine!” as Want to Read:
Submarine!

Submarine!

The classic nonfiction World War II submarine combat thriller, written by a man who actually fought the battles.

The war beneath the waves.

For the World War II submariner, every day was a life-or-death trial: going to sea for months at a time; existing in dank, claustrophobic conditions; enduring long stretches of monotonous silence punctuated by adrenaline-spiked episodes
Published September 1st 2004 by Pocket Star (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Submarine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Submarine!

Willis R. Cooke
Dec 25, 2014 Willis R. Cooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Action different than lessons in leadership.

Not that Ned Beach ignored leadership,but it was not his primary thrust. I enjoyed all the first hand stories, but the tale of Abacore and Cavalla sinking Taiho and Shokaku, both 50,000 ton aircraft carriers at Battle of Philippine Sea is near to my heart after spending much time aboard Cavalla on Pelican Island in her Museum berth and meeting Ensign (now Captain, USN, Ret.) Who was aboard as a Jr. Officer for the battle. (I was 4 years old at th
Jess
Jan 19, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
This book was a mediocre read in terms of understanding what was going on. The author often used abbreviations and terminology that wasn't explained and made it difficult to understand what he was talking about specifically; at times it made it difficult to know what was happening. However, this book had several breathtaking moments in it. I enjoyed how the author retold stories from multiple submarines and the submariners in them as well as his own experiences; it gave a greater look at how eac ...more
Ray
May 06, 2017 Ray rated it really liked it
A sequence of short moments in the life of WW2 subs in the Pacific. This is very well written. There are tales of courage and humor. Technical details, while present, are abstracted in a way that doesn't keep the uninformed (like me) from following the stories. I enjoyed it a great deal, and was glad to find it in a used bookshop.
Jack Hwang
Mar 07, 2017 Jack Hwang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real classics of submarine warfare. Beach was very good at bring the readers with him into the thrilling and at the same time scaring battle scenes in a closed-in iron coffin....
Kevin
Oct 19, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
An easy to read overview of the author's real life submarine experience in the Pacific during WWII. It's not a linear narrative of just one ship, but rather a loosely chronological collection of stories -- not all of them about subs that the author served on, but rather those most interesting. Edward Beach went on to a long and influential career in Navy submarines, so the fact he presents such a high-level perspective sheds light on why.

I would choose this book as one of the best WWII memoirs
Chuck
This book was originally written right after World War II where Commander Beach had been the skipper of a Pacific Fleet submarine. The review said that it was originally published in 1990 in error. I read the book ten years after being published and it left a mark on me at that time. I reread the book in the seventies and it was as good then as my first visit. People's tastes change as they mature and I don't know how I would feel fifty years later, but my evaluation is derived from the values a ...more
7$MartyQ
Mar 25, 2016 7$MartyQ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hall of Heroes

Each of the stories of specific boats brings to life the stories about the patrols of these boats, as well as the men who manned them.
I find it a pity that their history, as well as their sacrifices in the name of their countrymen both past and present are becoming less and less known by Americans today. I would highly recommend this book to learn what sacrifices The Greatest Generation did in our name.
Harriet Berg
Aug 19, 2016 Harriet Berg rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
This story about our WWII Submariner warriors tells the great story of their character, bravery and importance. The author, Captain Beach, gives a general sweep of how the boats in the Pacific helped defeat the Japanese. The importance of their missions and their sacrifice cannot be overstated. Captain Beach has written this in a very interesting manner. He discusses several of the boats, their Commanders and crews. It’s an enjoyable read. I recommend it to all.
Mwtyrrell
Nothing tells a story better than words from the men who where there.

History is so !such more than just dates and places. The story of the men who served, their emotions and thoughts, that is what makes a complete history.

Kudos to the brave men who lived and died in the silent service. The book is a great retelling of their deeds
Matthew
Jul 05, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Interesting, though not-quite-thoroughly-explained accounting of the American submarine fleet in the Pacific Ocean during WWII. If you've seen (and enjoyed) Das Boot, this will be interesting and intriguing. If you haven't seen Das Boot, Go do it!
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 30, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
A former submarine officer, Beach tells about life aboard American submarines during war and the dangers faced by the "silent service". With the adventure protrayed, the book almost appears fictional.
Scott Sigler
Jan 19, 2009 Scott Sigler rated it it was amazing
Great book that gives you a first-hand account of what it was like to be part of submarine warfare in World War II. Brave men enduring horrible circumstances, where even basic mistakes could take out a sub and the entire crew.
Xdw
Jan 17, 2013 Xdw rated it really liked it
beach combines his own patrols with narration of other boats' logs. He was there!
Oliver Barry
Jul 15, 2013 Oliver Barry rated it really liked it
Good read, a little cliché.
Craig
Apr 11, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-1950s
Nice quick read on WWII submarine warfare. My only complaint is that it was all told on the captains perspective. I would like to learn more about the enlisted mans life on board
Ali
Feb 10, 2016 Ali rated it it was amazing
A really gripping account of the undersea warfare in the Pacific theater during the second world war. The action sequences are written so well that one can almost visualize the whole battle.
Chris
Oct 26, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conversations and descriptions of the sounds and experiences on a submarine were terrific. I could almost experience the depth charges and the torpedoes hitting ships.
Zack White
Mar 24, 2016 Zack White rated it it was amazing
Very good non-fiction story about ww2 submarines. I would recommend this to people who enjoy military history books.
John G.
John G. rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
tina
tina rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Jackie Preedom
Jackie Preedom rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Dwight T
Dwight T rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Frederick Dresselt
Frederick Dresselt rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Kit
Kit rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Daniel F Dufresne
Daniel F Dufresne rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Brad Gaylor
Brad Gaylor rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
  • Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
  • Silent Running
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The Cold War
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Nimitz
  • Black May: The Epic Story of the Allies' Defeat of the German U-Boats in May 1943
  • Torpedo Junction: U-Boat War Off America's East Coast, 1942
  • Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a U.S. Cold War Submarine's Covert Operations Against the Soviet Union
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • The Double-Cross System: The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
Edward Latimer Beach, Jr. was a highly-decorated United States Navy submarine officer and best-selling author.

During World War II, he participated in the Battle of Midway and 12 combat patrols, earning 10 decorations for gallantry, including the Navy Cross. After the war, he served as the naval aide to the President of the United States and commanded the first submerged circumnavigation.

After Worl
More about Edward L. Beach...

“you cannot operate on the sea during war unless you have command of the sea, the air above it, and the depths beneath it.” 0 likes