Start by marking “What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors” as Want to Read:
What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors

What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors

Like many an exclusive club, the medical profession subjects its prospective members to rigorous indoctrination: medical students are overloaded with work, deprived of sleep and normal human contact, drilled and tested and scheduled down to the last minute. Difficult as the regimen may be, for those who don't fit the traditional mold—white, male, middle-to-upper class, and ...more
Published January 18th 2006 by University of California Press (first published December 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about What I Learned in Medical School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Learned in Medical School

Hannah
Dec 23, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-shelf
This book opened my eyes to what I wanted to do with my life. While reading this, I stopped applying to the liberal arts Master's degree programs I had planned on, and completely changed course in order to start all over again. Medicine, in some capacity, became a priority.

This book was exceptional. It was eye-opening in that it shed light on the typically dogmatic approach employed throughout all 4 years of medical school. The ways students find to deal with this emotionally, intellectually, a
Becca
I simply lacked sympathy for most of these medical students. Medical school is hard; it is demanding and it requires compassion and a love of science. One of the writers complained how her classmates were shallow for enjoying their science classes and how they didn't care that she didn't have time for poetry, which she claimed was the underlying discipline that drove her to medicine. Whatever made her think that being a doctor and being a poet were the same job is beyond me.

Some of the stories w
Teawench
Aug 29, 2010 Teawench rated it it was ok
I'll be honest...I didn't read the whole book. I skimmed over the intro to each chapter and by the end, I was skimming the actual stories. I did get a little tired of hearing people whine about medical school. Of course it's hard, of course you're going to meet some mean people. Life isn't all sunshine & roses so I'm unsure why some of these people think medical school should be. Not all of the stories were like this. Some weren't too bad but they were few and far between.
Jen
Apr 15, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
When I picked this book up I wanted an insider's view of the life, tips or something with a tinge of optimism. Instead it read as some true crime piece focused on a selection of nontraditional medical and aspiring medical students who underwent borderline traumatic experiences. I would be dismissive and not let it get to me but I feel like I'm more similar to these folks than to others in the field. I'm left more discouraged than I've ever been.
Bojan Land
Dec 15, 2014 Bojan Land rated it it was amazing
Amazing insight into atypical medical students. The book's title is hugely misleading - this book isn't about your average medical student.
Nikita
Dec 31, 2013 Nikita rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
A fantastic collection of the stories that show how the face of medicine is changing. The students of medicine are like you and me and everyone around us, and they bring a new perspective.

The book is a bit outdated now, I really feel as though a lot of the problems these students bring up have been addressed by many of the top medical schools in America.

Looking forward to seeing the effects a changed medical education will have on future doctors.

Kathleen
Jun 16, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I liked learning how medical students from diverse backgrounds adjusted to the rigors of this type of education. There are stories about a former alcoholic hiding her history to remain in medical school, to a student of Islamic faith, who always wore her hijab when she worked with patients. It's the most interesting book about medical school life that I have so far read.
Victoria Hess
Dec 10, 2013 Victoria Hess rated it really liked it
Medical School is not easy. Some find it harder. Discrimination, handicaps, liberal views, gender preferences, gender, immigration status. All this can make life a little difficult in the boiling pot of medical school. This collection of essays addresses some of these difficulties. How the students rose to the challenge, or not. It is an interesting read.
David Ward
What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors edited by Kevin Takakuwa, Nick Rubeshakin, Karen E. Herzig (University of California Press 2004) (610.711). This was a dry and boring take on a potentially fascinating topic. My rating: 4.5/10, finished 2005.
Alicia Kachmar
Oct 13, 2013 Alicia Kachmar rated it it was amazing
I was 99.7% sure I didn't want to go to medical school...now I am 100%. This narrative-based compilation featured a diverse sampling of medical students and doctors. The Afterword offered pages of "suggestions" for changes and innovations in med school and beyond.
Gwen
Apr 24, 2013 Gwen rated it liked it
read this in my quest to learn more about medical school. A wide variety of pieces written by medical students or new doctors. I definitely got a feeling for how much work med school is, and how stressful it can be.
Heather Hornbacher
Apr 22, 2009 Heather Hornbacher rated it it was ok
Realistic but also dwelt heavily on the negative. It seemed many who wrote were angry and disgruntled with their experience. This was not 100% across the board but could have used some variety of opinion.
Ashley
While I enjoyed most of the stories, and they were overall well-told, I would have preferred that some of them had a bit more depth.
Heather Goff
my name in print!
Okay, it's probably not really worth 5 stars (closer to 3) but I have to give myself some grade inflation, don't I???
john
Mar 25, 2007 john rated it liked it
some good testimonies, some bad. the book opened my eyes to the diversifying field of medicine.
Cynthia
Nov 16, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I would have given this one more star except for the bad language.
kathi
Oct 31, 2014 kathi rated it did not like it
I didn't finish the book...i didn't like it
Vimaris
Vimaris rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Meagan Carty
Meagan Carty marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Amanda Sue
Amanda Sue marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Ireme Ansbert
Ireme Ansbert marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Melissa Scott
Melissa Scott is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2016
Juhee Chung
Juhee Chung marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
RyuzakiXM
RyuzakiXM marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Traci
Traci marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • The Soul of a Doctor: Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue
  • On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • Intern: A Doctor's Initiation
  • Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • First, Do No Harm