Start by marking “Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)” as Want to Read:
Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)

Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  758 ratings  ·  49 reviews
There’s no scoreboard in the sanctuary, and the only plate is probably for the offering. But every church leader needs to know how to win, and every congregation needs to know when to cheer. This insightful book speaks to every church leader who yearns for a simpler, more effective approach to ministry. An engaging parable about one overwhelmed pastor is followed by an ove ...more
Published August 18th 2004 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about Seven Practices of Effective Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Practices of Effective Ministry

David Gregg
This makes a grade-A, excellent management and organizational-systems book! I have since moved past trying to micromanage the Kingdom, so this wouldn't be my first suggestion to you unless a management or organizational-systems kind of book is what you are after.
Al Garlando
Mar 01, 2012 Al Garlando rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pastors & Ministry Leaders
A bit of a different spin on a more famous book with a very similar title.
This is a very pragmatic (& as one reviewer observed - a very Western philosophy) and simple approach to help clarify what it is you're trying to achieve in your ministry as a Pastor/Leader.

There's nothing really "new" in the book. BUT, it was, for me, invigorating and encouraging to read - it stirred me up (fanned the flame, so to speak) to be more intentional and deliberate in my approach to ministry in my Church and
Joel Jackson
The staff from North Point Community lay out their strategy of ministry in a very concise manner. I feel that the principles laid out in the text are applicable to many churches. I did struggle through some of the book though as I am not a baseball fan. Therefore, some of the baseball analogies were lost on me and my mind got bored when they got too into baseball history or facts. Beyond that, I always struggle with books written as successful in mega churches that established themselves. In som ...more
Matthew
This is one of the best books on ministry that I've ever read (I've read it at least five times!)

The first half of the book is written as a parable/allegory. It's a great introduction to the practices that are going to be discussed in greater detail in the second half of the book.

The actual "7 Practices are: (1) Clarify the Win, (2) Think Steps, Not Programs, (3) Narrow the Focus, (4) Teach Less for More, (5) Listen to Outsiders, (6) Replace Yourself, and (7) Work On It.

If you serve in any capa
Mark Soone
I love Andy Stanley (and unlike most he is the only Stanley that I really care to read/listen to), and make everything he writes must read material. Having been such a huge admirer of his ministry, speaking and books I have become accostamed to having high excpectations of him. Perhaps that is why a star rating of him might seem, out of my ordinary scope. I hope that it is not simply a case of having set the bar so high, that the rating is not fair to the work contained in this book.

There are so
Danny
Apr 12, 2009 Danny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
7 Practices of Effective Ministry is composed of 2 parts. In part 1, the pastor plays hooky from an elders’ meeting to attend a major league baseball game and discovers 7 principles that become the basis of the 7 practices in part 2. Part 2 delves more deeply into each of the practices. There are great questions at the end of each of these chapters. The 7 practices are Clarify the win, Think steps not programs, Narrow the focus, Teach less for more, Listen to outsiders, Replace yourself and Work ...more
Craig Kendall
This is an unusual book to be listed in my most recent reads collection. I'm guessing it was a last ditch grapple for being the leader the institution wanted me to be before I essentially walked away. What was interesting was how spot on the book and what Stanley outlines is. But the interesting thing was it was as much a read for anyone in leadership/management as it was for those in "church" positions. Just reinforced for me that there are some great business leaders out there trapped in what ...more
Efrem
This book is a very good tool for helping those in ministry to be focused on the right things and to stay on the right track in ministry so as to maximize the effectiveness of the ministry. It is a very worthy read.
Reid
Mar 30, 2010 Reid rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Western Christians wanting to evaluate their ministry
Parts of this book were really useful to me.

The first half (story part) was a good overview of North Point's principles of ministry.

I kept wanting more Bible and less business principles. But I couldn't help but be impressed with the Western mindset of evaluating what I am doing in ministry -- "Is it working or not"?

Non western Christians would have a hard time understanding the term "win".

Love, faithfulness, becoming Christlike --- are hard to measure.

The 7 practices are:
Clarify the win,
Thin
Bekki
Every ministry leader should read this book....at least the second half (the real "meat" of the book.) Read this book as I'm in the planning stages for a new mom's ministry at our church. My husband (our church' senior pastor) is having the staff read through the book as well, so everyone in leadership can be on the same page.

I wish every ministry leader would read this book....our teaching and ministries could be exponentially more effective if we adopted these 7 practices.

(It should be noted
Bevan Haynes
This was recommended to me as a resource by a veteran pastor that I very much trust. It didn't disappoint! Great, clear guide to revamping and revitalizing... Taking things that don't work and making them work. Taking things that DO work and making them work BETTER. Simple, easy to connect language. Great.
Brian Chilton
It's times like these that I wish there were half increment ratings. The book deserves higher than a 3, but not quite a 4. The North Point staff offer good, sound advice. However, some points remain suspect to me...such as "one point messages." I remember a great evangelist by the name of Dr. Randy Kilby saying once, "don't preach to the needs of the people, because you don't know what they need. Preach biblical truths and God will meet their needs." In this case, I would have to side with Dr. K ...more
Jim
Some very helpful points for evaluating a ministry, but several views of the church that I didn't agree with.
David
Incredibly insightful and a definite must-read for those involved in ministry-especially pastors
Debbie Dodson
Excellent book. Wonderful look at the way we do, or should do, ministry.
rhrrs2
Quick and to the point. Great to read with a group!
Jared Jones
I'm a little biased considering the co-author (my Dad). But I still say this is book provides some excellent tips for how to run an organization. None of these (as explained in the Preface) are seen as a substitute for seeking God's wisdom and guidance within your church. But the practices outlined within the book can be very helpful for operating within any type of ministry structure. Half of the book is a parable illustrating what the 7 practices are, and the other half is mroe explanation and ...more
Brian
This is only a mediocre book on leadership principles which will supposedly make any ministry effective. While much of what is shared in the book is useful, there is nothing here to guide someone who is hungry to see what only God can do in ministry. Conspicuously absent are clear directions on how to deliberately build a church or ministry on the gospel of Christ. Much better is Mark Dever's book The Deliberate Church (see my review).
Angie
Very good! Applicable for education to some extent.
Brad
This book begins in parabolic style, and then unpacks the parable with effective leadership principles. What I appreciate about Andy Stanley is his passion to keep ministry simple and focused. Everything has a purpose. This is a great book which presents high end leadership principles from a master communicator.
Michael
This is one of my favorite books about creating a ministry plan. I highly recommend this as key resource to anyone in ministry and even those not in ministry but in a leadership role within their organization. The practices are so true and when implemented will change the way your ministry functions.
Al Soto
: "Excellent Tool for Strategic Implementation in the local Church. This book's-principles is the foundation for our Ministry Team on how we think through new initiatives in our Church. For anyone in local church leadership a must read and better with a your whole team."
Steven
Amazing! This is a book I think I am going to read every year. THe principles and practices in this book are so simple yet so powerful. I really appreciated the transparency in North Point's ministry process. If you are in ministry you should read this book.
Luke
This is a great book on making ministry work. It's not theological. It's practical. It can be applied to Word and Sacrament ministry just as it has been applied to church growth stuff. A must read for all pastors!
Albert Hong
I'm really enjoying these books that combine organizational theory with church work. Everything felt relevant and immediately applicable to my work in church.
Mike Coon
Some great concepts to use in ministry. One thing that stands out though is how much of an advantage a leader has when starting a new ministry as opposed to trying to change an established one.
John
This is a simple yet valuable read on the principles of leading a church written in a story format that keeps you engaged and wanting more. I'd recommend to all pastors and church leaders.
Brad Epperson
A good, quick read. I appreciated the emphasis on moving people towards Christ as an end result instead of running and maintaining successful programs. Hear that Church?!
Dorothy
Sep 04, 2013 Dorothy added it
Shelves: discernment
This was required reading for the vestry of St. James' Church in manhattan. It is poorly written and trite. Too many baseball analogies. Deserves no stars whatsoever.
Thriving Life Church: CLT 1 6 Sep 05, 2012 05:01AM
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Courageous Leadership
  • Move: What 1,000 Churches Reveal about Spiritual Growth
  • Sticky Church
  • Transformational Church
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • They Like Jesus But Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church
  • Connecting Church, The
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
More about Andy Stanley...
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication Deep & Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be

“Pitchers don’t need to hit well; they need to pitch well. Every step you create needs to do what it does best and nothing more. Focus allows you to pursue excellence, to zero in on the target. You can ruin a great pitcher by trying to make a hitter out of him, and you can ruin a great church…” 0 likes
“Nothing hinders morale more than when team members with separate agendas are pulling against one another.” 0 likes