Start by marking “The Stout-Hearted Seven: Orphaned on the Oregon Trail (Sterling Point Books)” as Want to Read:
The Stout-Hearted Seven: Orphaned on the Oregon Trail (Sterling Point Books)

The Stout-Hearted Seven: Orphaned on the Oregon Trail (Sterling Point Books)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Based on a true story originally written by one of the survivors, Neta Lohnes Frazier’s account of seven children traveling westward still has the power to astonish. In the 1840s, the Sager family set off on the Oregon Trail, a dangerous and adventure-filled journey. Tragedy struck when both the mother and father succumbed to fever, orphaning the youngsters—one just a newb ...more
Published August 28th 2006 by Sterling (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Stout-Hearted Seven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stout-Hearted Seven

Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordThe Brothers K by David James Duncan
Pacific Northwest Books
88th out of 607 books — 402 voters
Never Slow Dance With a Zombie by E. Van LoweIn a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. HughesHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradUnderworld by Meg CabotDear George Clooney by Susin Nielsen
Books for someday
115th out of 125 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Salsabrarian
Narrated by Mary Starkey. Based on the true story of the Sager family who left Missouri in 1844 to head for the Oregon Territory as part of a wagon train. The hard conditions of life on the trail tragically befall the family, as both parents die. Catherine, the oldest, and her brothers and sisters eventually are brought to the Whitman mission in the Territory where they are taken in by Narcissa and Marcus Whitman who work as missionaries to the Indians. The Sagers come to see and love the Whitma ...more
Amanda Tero
Aug 21, 2015 Amanda Tero rated it it was amazing
I found this true biography of the Sager children fascinating! Written more for children, I'm not so sure I would recommend it to every child as it, of course, depicts the deaths of several people as well as a massacre.

I felt like the history portrayed in this book was very accurate and it gave a very sober, realistic view of the Oregon trail, its hardships and fatalities. While very sad, I enjoyed it.
Sophia F
I only started this book for a school project, (more specifically a Social Studies journal on the Oregon trail) and as soon as I finished the project I was contemplating whether to return the book or not to the library. Then I realized how much I really enjoyed reading this book. So I finished it.
Neta Lohnes Frazier, an author of fourteen books and who died at age 100 in Waitsburg, Washington wrote this book so intriguingly and creatively I just had to find out Catherine Sager and her families s
Anh Cat
From chapter 1 to chapter 7 (65 pages)

1. In today’s reading, did the setting or any of characters remind you of people or characters in your own personal life? Were any of the situations or events similar to your own life? How were they alike and how were they different?
I have just read some chapters of the story named “The stout – hearted seven orphaned on the Oregon trail”, but it reminded me of my parents’ migration to the south of Vietnam in 1954 (after Geneva Convention ).
In 1954, they
Avel Rudenko
Aug 11, 2010 Avel Rudenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very true story of the Sager family who set out west in 1844. Both parents died on the trip, leaving their seven children orphaned. The wagon train banded together to get the children to the Whitman Mission where they were adopted by the Whitman family. My knowledge of the Whitman mission was that it was near the end of the trail, out of the way, and you only go there if you have money and are desperate for supplies. And that's accurate, but I learned a lot more as a result of this b ...more
Deborah
Apr 14, 2015 Deborah rated it really liked it
Though written for kids this was a very entertaiing and informative story of a pioneer family who had more than their share of bad luck.
Destinee
Apr 09, 2014 Destinee rated it liked it
i didnt really like it that much but its like not a romance or horror which is my genre but its a pretty good book if you like adventure.
Melody
Aug 06, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Another great addition to our read-aloud list for our Oregon Trail class. Well written and easy for the kids to follow along.
Barb
Jul 05, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it
Historical account of a family on the Oregon trail. Using this with my 5th graders for great accurate background information!
Heidi
Aug 09, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
What a fantastic book for children about life along the Oregon Trail. As a child I became fascinated with the subject after playing the famous game and it was books like these that allowed me to develop my understanding of the time period.

The book suffers from dry prose at time, but does a fantastic job of telling a meaningful and important story about how the Sager children came out west. Children who enjoy the subject will find much to enjoy in the book. For older children, teens, and adults
Nancy Bekedam
Jun 18, 2016 Nancy Bekedam rated it it was amazing
Very brave people, children and adults.
Alicia Willis
Jul 18, 2013 Alicia Willis rated it really liked it
Here is the true story behind the movie Seven Alone. The movie was always one of my favorites, but there really is very little to compare to the book (although both are excellent).

I enjoyed the story of the Sager family. Their tale is a heartbreaking one and is a powerful reminder of the sacrifice our early forefathers made when settling this country. Experience this true story of suffering, courage, family devotion, and peril. Join the Sagers, Kit Carson, Narcissus Whitman, and others during o
Julian
Apr 22, 2016 Julian rated it it was amazing
It what great
Amy
Dec 01, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my girls had to read it for an assignment and I like to know what they're learning about.. I haven't read much about the Oregon Trail so I learned one family's perspective and experience. It is a heartbreaking story and makes your heart ache to know that it really happened and think of what the Sager family suffered. I'll be hugging my little ones a little closer tonight and feel grateful for the safe home we live in each day.
Chris
Jul 18, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Great true-life chronicle of the Sager family's tragic journey west in 1844. The surviving siblings determined to record what happened, and Catherine Sager took it upon herself to do it. Although never published, her account has been kept alive by subsequent generations and is one of the most authentic sources of information about that trip. We read this as part of a homeschool unit on westward expansion and the whole family loved it.
Kristine
Aug 29, 2008 Kristine rated it liked it
This is a simple retelling of a very sad, true story that seems like it might end up okay, but really doesn't in the end. (That's not really a spoiler since it's a true story). I didn't love the author's writing style, but did love how reading about their overwhelming challenges and struggles when coming across the Oregon trail and beyond made me appreciate my own relatively easy and comfortable life.
Amy
Sep 17, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
I had never heard of this family's saga or tradgedy. It was such a sad story. I think the writing was good for young readers, easy to read and understand. For me it was under-developed and missing some good writing details. It is a good history non-fiction read for young readers who like the history of the pioneers crossing the US.
Marilyn
Jun 15, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful and horrifying. We loved this book, and by extension, this family. There are so many life principles in their story. I'm changed.
Madisen
Sep 07, 2008 Madisen rated it it was ok
I read this for school. It was okay. But all the deaths in the book are so sudden. They seem like they're all crammed together at the end. It was kind of sad but it really seemed to capture what things were like at the time.
Adrena
Nov 19, 2013 Adrena rated it really liked it
An excellent account of seven orphaned children on the Oregon Trail and the astonishing experiences they encountered. Recommended for kids age 10 or so and up. Well-written...I couldn't put it down.
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
I liked it, even though it was so tragic. I liked learning about the Whitman massacre and the history behind the fiction. Although the writing is not that memorable, I still enjoyed it overall.
Julia Rojas
Jul 23, 2013 Julia Rojas rated it did not like it
I was not a fan of this book. The story sounded ok and it had ok writing in it. The fake dialogue ruined this story. It showed up on every page. It would be a lot better without the fake dialogue.
Anna Wanderer
Aug 10, 2009 Anna Wanderer rated it really liked it
This version of the Sager's journey is much closer to the truth than On to Oregon! was. It's a great story for anyone looking for an adventure or interested in the settling of the West
Marcia
Jan 24, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it
An amazing and sad true story about the hardships of crossing the Oregon Trail.

Great book for helping kids understand the historical and practical realities of pioneer life.
Max
Sep 08, 2008 Max rated it did not like it
Anne
May 20, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
I've used this book in homeschooling middle school American History twice. I found it gripping as a slice of pioneer life... real hardships and tragedies, but also real courage.
Emma
Aug 25, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing
A totally awesome story about seven children and their mother and father making their way across the Oregon Trail and facing hardships and disaster along the way.
S.B. Niccum
Feb 04, 2011 S.B. Niccum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My ten year old really enjoyed this one. He finished it in two weeks! Not bad for historic fiction.
Kenyan
Makenna
May 22, 2012 Makenna rated it it was amazing
What's The Name o...: Historical fiction about the Sandy Creek Massacre? [s] 9 55 Nov 29, 2013 04:54AM
  • A Perfect Place (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #2)
  • Patty Reed's Doll: The Story of the Donner Party
  • Earthquake at Dawn
  • Gilgamesh the Hero
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • The Story of Eli Whitney
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • Joan of Arc
  • Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt
  • The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
  • Outwitting the Gestapo
  • A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
  • American Sideshow: An Encyclopedia of History's Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers
  • I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood
  • The Wild Girls
  • Ida Early Comes over the Mountain
Neta Lohnes Frazier (1890 – 1990) was a children's author. Known for her books about the Pacific Northwest, she published 14 books between 1947 and 1973, most notably Stout-Hearted Seven, The Magic Ring, Secret Friend, My Love Is a Gypsy, and Little Rhody.

She was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma at the University of Montana, Missoula.
More about Neta Lohnes Frazier...