Start by marking “Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook” as Want to Read:
Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook

Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook

New classes, races, and other options for your D&D(R) game.

This book builds on the array of classes and races presented in the first Player's Handbook (R), adding both old favorites and new, never-before-seen options to the game.

The book adds a new power source for 4th Edition D&D; classes using the new primal power source include the barbarian and the druid.

Play
Published March 17th 2009 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2

Trip
Mar 21, 2009 Trip rated it liked it
Recommends it for: D&D4 players
This is what the PHB contains:

New power source:

* Primal: which is spirits of nature and stuff, opposed to demons but not necessarily on good terms with the divine. Sure, that's pretty standard for generic fantasy.

New races:

* Deva: The spirits of angels that took fleshly form. Devas don't reproduce, just reincarnate, so it's not clear why they come in a model with breasts and hips and a model without, but the illustration is clear. Oh well, at least now there's a PC race with the "immortal" origi
David
Can't help feeling that this book is just designed to make people pay more. The PHB2 offers more options that to me should've been part of the three core books. Rules expansion features very little here - most of it is to offer up what used to be D&D staples as "options".

Essentially, it brings back long-timers gnomes and half-orcs, the shifters from Eberron, the goliaths from Races of Stone, and the deva race. For classes, it pulls in the previouly mainstream bards, barbarians, druids, and s
Aaron Allen  Strider
Oct 11, 2012 Aaron Allen Strider rated it did not like it
DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS 4.0 SUCKS. THEY SHOULD HAVE STUCK WITH THE 3.5 AND TWEAKED A COUPLE RULES, THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE THE WHOLE GAME. THERE IS A REASON WHY THEY ARE COMING OUT WITH 5.0. CAUSE 4.0 SUCKED.
Jay
Mar 12, 2017 Jay rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, gaming, critiqued
Sayonara suckers! Felt like a ripoff. I'm supposed to believe they didn't consider gnomes and half-orcs in early pitch meetings? Naw, they wanted to see if fourth would faceplant upon birth. It still made money, it just shattered the pool of available players. This intentional money grab added zero value in terms of gaming or reading enjoyment. "Won't get fooled again," I said after I reading this, and I haven't bought a WOTC product since.
Randy Lander
Mar 16, 2009 Randy Lander rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming
Probably the most anticipated release for D&D 4th Edition since Martial Power, Player's Handbook 2 introduces 5 new races and 8 new classes, as well as new feats, new rituals and other stuff of that nature. It's like one of the "Complete" books for 3.5, and since it's so early in the game, big chunks of game mechanic/player expansion like this are like gold.

Eventually, they'll probably clutter up the system requiring a 5th edition... it's the gaming circle of life. But for now, I'm really ha
Scott Lee
Jun 22, 2012 Scott Lee rated it liked it
While I enjoyed reading this, and am playing D&D for the first time right now having never played any other edition so I don't have any previous edition experience to compare it to, come on. How good a "read" (this is "goodreads," right?) can a handbook style book be? If there's no central through line (and that kind of handbook about any game, discipline, activity etc. is very, VERY rare indeed) than it isn't going to measure up to any decent novel, etc.

However, the utility of it as a hand
Roberta
Mar 19, 2009 Roberta rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, gaming
A good solid addition to the 4E library. In this version, you have a number of races: Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half Orc. Also, you have new classes: barbarian, bard, avenger, invoker, sorcerer, druid, shaman, and warden.

Also added were some backgrounds similar to what is in the Forgotten Realms Players Handbook. I saw several different combinations of races/classes that sound interesting.

If you are a player, and you like new ideas--this book has some classes never in the game before, and as a gm it
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Austin rated it it was ok
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Michael
Mar 25, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
A tour-de-force of tabletop game design, WotC's kickoff to the second round of core books is just fantastic. There are a solid group of races, some new backround options, and a nice pile of new magic items to find in this book. The real joy in this book, though, are the new classes.

As much as I love the original group, almost every class in this book feels more vibrant and interesting. The R&D guys have successfully kept away power creep, but the sheer amount of variety and flavour shown in
John M Campbell
A decent enough sequel to the first PHB. It has exactly what it says it has more races, more classes. A few more magic items.

I think one of my favorite thing from this book was the addition of background elements for those that need that quantified in their characters.

But really aside, from the Gnome race and Barbarian, and Bard classes, nothing in this book hopped out at me and said this is a class you must play. Which is great from a balance stand point. I'm happy with my fighter and Cleric PC
Casktapper
Jul 30, 2009 Casktapper added it
Shelves: owned
I am fascinated by the design decisions in 4e and all the ways that they took lessons learned from MMOs and applied it to pen and paper design.
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Randall
Randall rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Naveen
Naveen rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Alex Crouzen
Alex Crouzen rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2009
Ben Fisher
Ben Fisher rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Darkwolf
Darkwolf rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
John Biernacki
John Biernacki rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Wayne
Wayne rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2011
Max
Max rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2015
Veaya Stembridge
Veaya Stembridge rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Todd Jimenez
Todd Jimenez rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
John Feil
John Feil rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
  • Player's Handbook 3: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Martial Power: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement
  • Arcane Power: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement
  • Rules Compendium: A Game Reference for All Players (4th Edition D&D)
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition revised, Stock #2159)
  • Deities and Demigods
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Player's Handbook Rules Supplement: The Complete Priest's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2113)
  • Player's Handbook Rules Supplement: The Complete Wizard's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2115)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Complete Arcane (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Shadowrun
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Faiths and Pantheons (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Vampire: The Requiem (nWOD)
  • Kindred of the East