A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children

A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Raising a gifted child is both a joy and a challenge, yet parents of gifted children have few resources for reliable parenting information. The four authors, who have decades of professional experience with gifted children and their families, provide practical guidance in areas such as: Characteristics of gifted children; Peer relations; Sibling issues; Motivation & un...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Great Potential Press

To ask other readers questions about A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children

Krista
LIke many who have reviewed this book, I felt obnoxious the whole time I was reading it. It took me longer to read it, too, because I wouldn't read it in public, for fear someone would see that I thought my child was gifted.

Then I got to the sentence that said, "Parenting a gifted child can be a lonely experience" and I laughed at myself, holed up in my home, trying to read a book almost secretly.

My kid is bright. He is smart. But he's also challenged in ways. I don't like the word "gifted" nece...more
Katie
From the time my first child was born I have been frustrated by general advice given to me by parenting books and medical professionals. My children eat more often, sleep less, achieve milestones sooner, are more active, and respond differently to discipline than what children are "supposed to." Occasionally I have let these differences really stress me out, as I stressed over what I was doing wrong to "mess up" my child. Eventually I just decided that these problems were caused by an over-empha...more
Lisa
Our school district recommended this book for parents of G&T students, so I read it to gain a better understanding of the philosophies that may be guiding their G&T program. My husband and I had our own G&T educational experiences growing up but education at all levels appears to have changed considerably and we wanted to be prepared.

Some of the book deals with basic parenting issues and dispenses basic parenting advice (give children choices, use natural consequences whenever possi...more
I kind of hate adding this to my Goodreads list because I don’t want to seem like I’m saying, “Um, my child might be gifted, so that’s why I’m reading books on this subject matter… just so you know….”

BUT… Oh my dear heavens—finally some insight into my SON. The child isn’t INSANE, he must be GIFTED. (Although that’s apparently a fine line to walk.)

But seriously, this book was literally the most insightful parenting book I’ve read in awhile in regards to my oldest (the other kids may very well b...more
Megan
I read this book because it was listed as a resource for a program at M's school. I also saw the Amazon stellar reviews that claimed it was a great resource, worth owning and referring to.

And, on the upside, it is a pretty complete resource. It discusses a variety of topics (dicipline, depression, education goals, etc) with complete coverage and modern accepted conclusions. For example, the chapter on discipline seemed to distill many useful suggestions from some of the most popular and accepted...more
Kati
Reading this for a class I am taking. I sure wish I would have been offered this education before now. It seems like there is so much support for parents with children who struggle in school. There are all kinds of additional educational opportunities and never a fight to get them all the support they need. Because, after all, they deserve the help. People don't want to hear about the needs of a "gifted" child. No one feels that this child needs any additional support for the struggles they migh...more
Sara
I began reading this book last year while trying to find a school for my daughter which would be a "good fit" I found it in my dresser and began reading again it when my dughter's school district announced they were haveing a TAG info night in order to form a SENG (supporting emotional neeeds of gifted) parent group - I highly recommend this book - it has been the best one I've read on this topic to date!
Aref Atia
كتاب رائع لكل والدين ... وللمعلمين كذلك
Antoinette Perez
T H O R O U G H . Probably need to read this book again. The chapter on values and traditions was a big surprise to me, and covered everything well. The topics were so global that I'm surprised this chapter wasn't placed earlier in the book. The chapter on twice-exceptional children was not as thorough as I'd hoped -- it explored only ADD / ADHD under the category of mood disorders -- not anxiety or depression, so that chapter was not as helpful for me.

Not sure what to make of the number of wri...more
Nicole
Great guide for parents and teachers who need to understand more about gifted children and their special needs.

Chapter 1 - Defining Giftedness
Chapter 6 - Intensity, Perfectionism, and Stress
Chapter 7 - Idealism, Unhappiness, and Depression
Chapter 8 - Acquaintances, Friends, and Peer...more
Kamma Kamm covington
This book has been a gift to me in dealing with my very exceptional child. It is a very easy to read and is full of wonderful information and resources for parents.
Marissa Morrison
This book covers lots of topics relevant for anyone working with any kind of kid. There isn't a lot of detailed info here, but the authors provide a long list of suggested further readings. I was struck by the call for respecting kids' privacy--at school and even within a family (don't hang report cards on the refrigerator for everyone to see). Other passages I found valuable were on promoting healthy self-talk (don't obsess about the one bad mistake you made today, but rather on the many, many...more
Abbie
I'm reading this as part of a SENG parent class offered through our school district. I've only read a few chapters so far but it is very insightful and I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know (duh) - but should - in order to be a better parent to my children. In reading the other Goodreads reviews for the book, I would have to agree: it's hard to read this in public for fear of looking obnoxious, it's lonely to parent a GT child and it's harder than one would think. I look forward to continui...more
Allison
Although this book is intended for parents, I found this a helpful resource for developing a school-based gifted program. Extremely comprehensive.
Carol O'Bryan
This is middle of the road for me, as compared to other books on the topic. Yes, I would recommend it for parents looking for resources or advice - but it is most like consulting a knowledgable academic with broad questions. I am finding the challenges of raising two bright kids to be both frustrating and truly wonderful. As other reviewers have noted, it feels a bit arrogant to label them as "gifted", but that's precisely what I've had to advocate for in our school district to make sure they're...more
Jan
A very good book, full of ideas for parenting your bright children. It is almost all behavioral -- motivation for underachievers, how to deal with discipline when the child can outthink you, and how to deal with the child's idealism, intensity, perfectionism, emotions and so forth.

I felt that it is all accurate and excellent advice. There was nothing surprising to me with my education background, but I've met many people who wish they had this information.
Marianna
I read this book as part of a SENG Model Parent's Group.

I gained quite a bit of perspective about both myself and my gifted children, as well as techniques for parenting that have led to more positive interactions. My one complaint with this book was that at times I felt like it had an elitist tone. The phrase "the gifted child..." started to grate on my nerves after awhile, espcially when applied to behaviors or feelings that can be attributed to all children.
GeekChick
If you have a gifted child or are a gifted adult, you should read this book! So many things will become clear, and so much will be vindicated. While many of the concepts are similar to those touched on in "Raising your Spirited Child" (which I read first), this book goes into more detail. And, even though it wasn't always news to me, it serves as a good reminder on how to parent my gifted child. And maybe it will help my husband deal with me!
Michelle
There's a gem in every chapter. Encyclopedic. A valuable reference - if you never sit down and read cover to cover.

"Competence in interpersonal relationships is probably the single most important factor in determining whether or not gifted children will be successful, caring, and contributing members of society." I have my work cut out for me...

Discuss this with other parents of gifted if you can.
Kristin
Lots of helpful information about the different ways in which the minds of gifted children (and parents) work, and how best to use this knowledge ... for everyday household situations and long-term educational decisions. Reading as part of a SENG Model Parenting Group was an added bonus, but it would have been useful alone, as well.
Cecilia Solis-sublette
A very good overview of the subject. I can see this sitting on the shelf of a parent, a teacher, and/or a school counseler. Doesn't go much into pedagogical theory or history of gifted education but the book serves as a good introductory resource.
Lorraine
This book was amazing, it helped me to not only understand my children, but to piece together things from my past and challenges in my present that are directly related to my giftedness. I had no idea that a lot of the things I'd always had "trouble" with are common problems in gifted people.
Holly
Good tools and information, a lot of which is useful with all children, not just gifted children. The book is pretty long and "wordy" though, and reads like a textbook. I'd recommend reading it a chapter at a time. There is too much information for one sitting.
Amy
I am reading this book as part of a parenting class put on by a local SENG group. Not sure how much of my five rating was influenced by the great class discussion the book generated. I've read several 'parenting gifted kids' books - this one was the best. Read it.
Jenny
This is the first book parents should read when they learn their child is "gifted." It's the 101 course, the instruction manual, comprehensive, up-to-date, full of practical advice and resources as well as theoretical explanations, and, above all, reassuring.
Shelli
I am reading this book for professional development. It is fascinating to delve into the mind of a gifted child, to see how he/she thinks and processes information.
Andrea
Sometimes a parent has to be reminded of the practical things. I tend to forget that even though he acts older, he's still emotionally his age. It was helpful overall.
CynthiaQ
Gifted isn't what you might think. How do we meet their educational, social and emotional needs? A great resource for anyone who has or works with gifted kids.
Angela Craig
If you are a teacher please READ THIS. If you are parent of one of these children, you may wish to READ THIS. The best book on the topic I have found.
Barb G
I'm still in the introduction and this book has already made so many things clear. I am thankful for this information and I'm looking forward to reading more!
James T. Webb, Ph.D., has been recognized as one of the 25 most influential psychologists nationally on gifted education. Dr. Webb has written 16 books, over 75 professional publications, three DVDs, and many research papers for psychology conventions or for conferences regarding gifted and talented children. Six of his books are on gifted children and adults, and four have won “Best Book” awards....more
More about James T. Webb...
Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers Searching for Meaning: Idealism, Bright Minds, Disillusionment, and Hope Grandparents' Guide to Gifted Children Gifted Parent Groups: The SENG Model: Flowing with Rather Than Fighting Against