Start by marking “A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children” as Want to Read:
A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children

A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children

Raising a gifted child is both a joy and a challenge, yet parents of gifted children have few resources for reliable parenting information. The four authors, who have decades of professional experience with gifted children and their families, provide practical guidance in areas such as: Characteristics of gifted children; Peer relations; Sibling issues; Motivation & un ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Great Potential Press

To ask other readers questions about A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children

Krista
Mar 04, 2010 Krista rated it really liked it
LIke many who have reviewed this book, I felt obnoxious the whole time I was reading it. It took me longer to read it, too, because I wouldn't read it in public, for fear someone would see that I thought my child was gifted.

Then I got to the sentence that said, "Parenting a gifted child can be a lonely experience" and I laughed at myself, holed up in my home, trying to read a book almost secretly.

My kid is bright. He is smart. But he's also challenged in ways. I don't like the word "gifted" nece
Lisa
Jan 29, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting, nonfiction
Our school district recommended this book for parents of G&T students, so I read it to gain a better understanding of the philosophies that may be guiding their G&T program. My husband and I had our own G&T educational experiences growing up but education at all levels appears to have changed considerably and we wanted to be prepared.

Some of the book deals with basic parenting issues and dispenses basic parenting advice (give children choices, use natural consequences whenever possi
Katie
Jul 14, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
From the time my first child was born I have been frustrated by general advice given to me by parenting books and medical professionals. My children eat more often, sleep less, achieve milestones sooner, are more active, and respond differently to discipline than what children are "supposed to." Occasionally I have let these differences really stress me out, as I stressed over what I was doing wrong to "mess up" my child. Eventually I just decided that these problems were caused by an over-empha ...more
May 23, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I kind of hate adding this to my Goodreads list because I don’t want to seem like I’m saying, “Um, my child might be gifted, so that’s why I’m reading books on this subject matter… just so you know….”

BUT… Oh my dear heavens—finally some insight into my SON. The child isn’t INSANE, he must be GIFTED. (Although that’s apparently a fine line to walk.)

But seriously, this book was literally the most insightful parenting book I’ve read in awhile in regards to my oldest (the other kids may very well b
Megan
Oct 18, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
I read this book because it was listed as a resource for a program at M's school. I also saw the Amazon stellar reviews that claimed it was a great resource, worth owning and referring to.

And, on the upside, it is a pretty complete resource. It discusses a variety of topics (dicipline, depression, education goals, etc) with complete coverage and modern accepted conclusions. For example, the chapter on discipline seemed to distill many useful suggestions from some of the most popular and accepted
Kati
Mar 20, 2011 Kati rated it really liked it
Reading this for a class I am taking. I sure wish I would have been offered this education before now. It seems like there is so much support for parents with children who struggle in school. There are all kinds of additional educational opportunities and never a fight to get them all the support they need. Because, after all, they deserve the help. People don't want to hear about the needs of a "gifted" child. No one feels that this child needs any additional support for the struggles they migh ...more
Marianna
Nov 28, 2011 Marianna rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a SENG Model Parent's Group.

I gained quite a bit of perspective about both myself and my gifted children, as well as techniques for parenting that have led to more positive interactions. My one complaint with this book was that at times I felt like it had an elitist tone. The phrase "the gifted child..." started to grate on my nerves after awhile, espcially when applied to behaviors or feelings that can be attributed to all children.
Sara
Jan 27, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
I began reading this book last year while trying to find a school for my daughter which would be a "good fit" I found it in my dresser and began reading again it when my dughter's school district announced they were haveing a TAG info night in order to form a SENG (supporting emotional neeeds of gifted) parent group - I highly recommend this book - it has been the best one I've read on this topic to date!
Shelley
Jul 23, 2015 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This is the closest thing to an owner's manual I've found for my daughter.

It isn't perfect (I wavered between 4 and 5 stars), but it's practical, yet still polished, and it doesn't condescend (let's face it: if you have a gifted child, the chances are you're a smart cookie and don't need something written at a fifth grade level, like a number of other books on gifted children). Additionally, it's well-sourced, if you'd like to track further research for yourself.

A few reviews sneer about it be
NML_dc
Apr 27, 2015 NML_dc rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent, thorough resource that provides both an overview of the life course of a gifted child and details on key areas of development. Certainly anyone who was labeled as "gifted" in the 80s or 90s will recognize themselves in this book! The exploration of the emotional life of gifted children was particularly helpful, as we are already seeing the emergence of a running internal commentary in our 4 year old. The authors also do a good job of emphasizing not getting hung up the labe ...more
Nov 01, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is the book I recommend to every parent I meet who has a highly gifted child and is just learning what that means. It helps not just with understanding the gifted child which is huge, but also the culture of isolation as a parent, the schools, and it touches on the topic of misdiagnosis and missed diagnosis of gifted children. It is the book to open parent's eyes that they are not alone, relax, start learning, trust your child, and love them.
In the early years we found a culture of conform
Aref Atia
Mar 06, 2012 Aref Atia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع لكل والدين ... وللمعلمين كذلك
Antoinette Perez
T H O R O U G H . Probably need to read this book again. The chapter on values and traditions was a big surprise to me, and covered everything well. The topics were so global that I'm surprised this chapter wasn't placed earlier in the book. The chapter on twice-exceptional children was not as thorough as I'd hoped -- it explored only ADD / ADHD under the category of mood disorders -- not anxiety or depression, so that chapter was not as helpful for me.

Not sure what to make of the number of wri
Wendy
Apr 24, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it
So this one took a while to wade through. Suggested reading from my child's educator. There wasn't anything particularly groundbreaking in here to me. (Not that I'm well-versed in any of this but it felt like a lot of common sense.) But there were a few "oh really?" moments, particularly about testing. I think all kids are gifted and talented in some way. This one in particular just focuses on the academic indications so somewhat limited in scope.
Nicole
Dec 16, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Great guide for parents and teachers who need to understand more about gifted children and their special needs.

Chapter 1 - Defining Giftedness
Chapter 7 - Idealism, Unhappiness, and Depression
Chapter 8 - Acquaintances, Friends, and Peer
Ruthann
Nov 01, 2014 Ruthann rated it it was amazing
I have read through this book many times as it is the text for SENG parent support groups. It gives great insight into gifted individuals and the challenges they may face. I highly recommend reading this as a foundation to understanding, advocating, and parenting gifted children.
Debbie Mcjimsey
Feb 02, 2015 Debbie Mcjimsey rated it it was amazing
Dr. Webb is my favorite speaker on the topic of giftedness. My copy of this book is well worn and often referenced. As a SENG parent group leader I use this book as the backbone of discussions with parents, caregivers and teachers.
Hana
Jun 21, 2016 Hana rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Helpful introduction to the notion of gifted children and their needs for parents; solid parenting advice not specific to gifted children. A bit of an excessive bent towards gifted children's differences, and perhaps a bit too negative on the role of schools failing to support gifted children. However, all in all a solid overview.
Kamma Kamm covington
Aug 14, 2014 Kamma Kamm covington rated it really liked it
This book has been a gift to me in dealing with my very exceptional child. It is a very easy to read and is full of wonderful information and resources for parents.
Marissa Morrison
Oct 02, 2011 Marissa Morrison rated it it was amazing
This book covers lots of topics relevant for anyone working with any kind of kid. There isn't a lot of detailed info here, but the authors provide a long list of suggested further readings. I was struck by the call for respecting kids' privacy--at school and even within a family (don't hang report cards on the refrigerator for everyone to see). Other passages I found valuable were on promoting healthy self-talk (don't obsess about the one bad mistake you made today, but rather on the many, many ...more
Abbie
Dec 21, 2014 Abbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm reading this as part of a SENG parent class offered through our school district. I've only read a few chapters so far but it is very insightful and I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know (duh) - but should - in order to be a better parent to my children. In reading the other Goodreads reviews for the book, I would have to agree: it's hard to read this in public for fear of looking obnoxious, it's lonely to parent a GT child and it's harder than one would think. I look forward to continui ...more
Megan Pridmore
Jun 18, 2015 Megan Pridmore is currently reading it
A must read for parents that want more insight and gentle understanding of the minds of their gifted children. HIGHLY recommend it to all educators
Allison
Feb 10, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
Although this book is intended for parents, I found this a helpful resource for developing a school-based gifted program. Extremely comprehensive.
Carol O'Bryan
Jan 01, 2013 Carol O'Bryan rated it liked it
This is middle of the road for me, as compared to other books on the topic. Yes, I would recommend it for parents looking for resources or advice - but it is most like consulting a knowledgable academic with broad questions. I am finding the challenges of raising two bright kids to be both frustrating and truly wonderful. As other reviewers have noted, it feels a bit arrogant to label them as "gifted", but that's precisely what I've had to advocate for in our school district to make sure they're ...more
Jan
May 20, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it
A very good book, full of ideas for parenting your bright children. It is almost all behavioral -- motivation for underachievers, how to deal with discipline when the child can outthink you, and how to deal with the child's idealism, intensity, perfectionism, emotions and so forth.

I felt that it is all accurate and excellent advice. There was nothing surprising to me with my education background, but I've met many people who wish they had this information.
GeekChick
Jul 29, 2009 GeekChick rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
If you have a gifted child or are a gifted adult, you should read this book! So many things will become clear, and so much will be vindicated. While many of the concepts are similar to those touched on in "Raising your Spirited Child" (which I read first), this book goes into more detail. And, even though it wasn't always news to me, it serves as a good reminder on how to parent my gifted child. And maybe it will help my husband deal with me!
Michelle
Nov 05, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
There's a gem in every chapter. Encyclopedic. A valuable reference - if you never sit down and read cover to cover.

"Competence in interpersonal relationships is probably the single most important factor in determining whether or not gifted children will be successful, caring, and contributing members of society." I have my work cut out for me...

Discuss this with other parents of gifted if you can.
Kristin
Lots of helpful information about the different ways in which the minds of gifted children (and parents) work, and how best to use this knowledge ... for everyday household situations and long-term educational decisions. Reading as part of a SENG Model Parenting Group was an added bonus, but it would have been useful alone, as well.
Lorraine
May 08, 2013 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, it helped me to not only understand my children, but to piece together things from my past and challenges in my present that are directly related to my giftedness. I had no idea that a lot of the things I'd always had "trouble" with are common problems in gifted people.
Holly
May 12, 2008 Holly rated it liked it
Good tools and information, a lot of which is useful with all children, not just gifted children. The book is pretty long and "wordy" though, and reads like a textbook. I'd recommend reading it a chapter at a time. There is too much information for one sitting.
  • Living with Intensity
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Pre-School to High School
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with AD/HD, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
  • The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids: How to Understand, Live With, and Stick Up for Your Gifted Child
  • Circles Around The Sun: In Search Of A Lost Brother
  • When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers: How to Meet Their Social and Emotional Needs
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Bright Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • Smart Parenting for Smart Kids: Nurturing Your Child's True Potential
  • Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom: Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use to Meet the Academic Needs of the Gifted and Talented
  • When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends
James T. Webb, Ph.D., has been recognized as one of the 25 most influential psychologists nationally on gifted education. Dr. Webb has written 16 books, over 75 professional publications, three DVDs, and many research papers for psychology conventions or for conferences regarding gifted and talented children. Six of his books are on gifted children and adults, and four have won “Best Book” awards. ...more
More about James T. Webb...