The Swineherd

The Swineherd

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Who is the most foolish? The prince who turns himself into a swinherd to go courting the emperor's daughter? The princess who hates the sweet red rose because it's not artificial? Or perhaps the emperor who throws his slipper at them both when he finds them kissing. Classic Hans Christian Andersen tale about human nature. Full-color illustrations.
Published April 1st 1995 by NorthSouth (first published 1841)

To ask other readers questions about The Swineherd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swineherd

Prashant
It'd be indeed difficult to make a child understand it.

May the ending be twisted to "and then they lived happily ever after". Stopgap eh?!
Rahmadiyanti
Setelah berbelas tahun, kayaknya baru baca lagi dongengnya HC Andersen. Well, sebenarnya memang masih banyak banget buku HC Andersen yang belum saya baca. Buku ini "nemu" di Indonesia Book Fair 2013, Rp8.000,- saja harganya.

Edisi bahasa Inggris buku ini sepertinya ada 2 versi: The Pigkeeper dan The Swineherd. Mirip sih. Dialihbahasakan ke dalam bahasa Indonesia jadi "Pangeran yang Berani". Baca sinopsisnya saja saya sudah langsung tahu ceritanya. Secara, spoiler banget sinopsisnya :P. Kenapa sih...more
Angela Alcorn
Project Gutenberg has a free ebook and audiobook of a Hans Christian Andersen book with 18 fairy tales in it.

These are the stories in the Project Gutenberg files:
-- The elderbush
-- The bell
-- The old house
-- The happy family
-- The story of a mother
-- The false collar
-- The shadow
-- The little match girl
-- The dream of little Tuk
-- The naughty bo...more
Nohely

This story is amazing! Most of you may know that I love Hans Christian Andersen and I must admit that this story is at my top 5 favorites. This beign number 4. The story centers around this spoiled princess and a humble prince who wants to marry her. The princess rejects him because his presents are natural. The prince actually pretends to be a swine herd so that he could be close to the princess. Quite romantic don't you think? But of course the ending itself was not predictable at all and tha...more
Tessa
Lisbeth's illustrations deserve a five star rating but this is just such a dumb story that I couldn't make myself do it. I loved the prince telling off the stupid princess at the end, but otherwise, Andersen memorialized a story about nothing, really. Just look at the pictures and don't bother with the text.
Paul
A very funny story, and strange so few people know about it.

It's ludicrous! A swineherd going behind a tree to transform into a Prince! It's like something you'd expect in a comic book!
I loved this fairy tale at first I though it was going to be one of those fairy tales that made a prince buy his love but the ending was just perfect and so different to other fairy tales.
Rachel
Not as intersting as some of his other fairy tales. I had the feeling that this version edited the story and there was something missing.
Ninglu
I'd call it a fairytale, or a fun story to read!
Jarie Waterfall
Jarie Waterfall marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Joyce Chen
Joyce Chen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Mila
Mila added it
Feb 17, 2014
Ashle Oaks
Ashle Oaks marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Lisbeth Zwerger (born 26 May 1954) is an Austrian illustrator of children's books. For her "lasting contribution to children's literature" she received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1990.

Zwerger was born in Vienna in 1954. She studied 1971 to 1974 at the Applied Arts Academy of Vienna. Since the publication of her first illustrated book in 1977 she has worked as a freelance pi...more
More about Lisbeth Zwerger...
The Bremen Town Musicians The Nutcracker Swan Lake Art of Lisbeth Zwerger, The (The Art Of...catalogues) Little Red-Cap